Remove Advertisements

Quickflip Deflection Plates

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Quickflip Deflection Plates

Postby theothersteve7 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:14 am

I'm a ridiculous sacred gadget cow and the value of engineering as a profession has been a question of mine for a while now. I've crunched some numbers and I'd like some brains at Maintankadin to confirm what I'm seeing. My numbers are rough but I was doing this to find large disparities, not nitpick.

* Quickflip Deflection Plates - 1500 armor for 12 (13?) seconds

* 1500 armor bumps up a 359 geared tank from about 61% mitigation to about 61.9% physical mitigation, roughly. That comes to about 1.85% mitigation while up.

* It's up 20% of the time, so an average of around .35%-.4% mitigation.

* Compare to 80 mastery rating, right about 1% block. Which comes out neatly to 0.4% mitigation.

I was surprised to see that the gloves are so tightly tuned to balance with Paladin mastery rating. Advantage being on-demand, disadvantage of not being automatically taken out of our hardest hits. Does this look accurate to everyone? Is there a profession comparison somewhere visible that I missed?
Moo.
theothersteve7

Re: Quickflip Deflection Plates

Postby Gab » Wed May 18, 2011 10:54 am

You might want to check out Theck's thread: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30631

theckhd wrote:it takes 7 armor to give you the same damage reduction as one point of mastery rating

So 1500/7 = 214.29 * .20 = 42.86

So if my math is correct the glove tinker gives an average damage reduction equal to a little over one mastery gem. Very lack luster imo. Not to mention the glove tinker puts your trinkets on a 30(?) second cd. I recently dropped engineering, it is a very dissapointing profession other than the fun OOC stuff.
Gab

Postby lythac » Wed May 18, 2011 10:58 am

theothersteve7 wrote:* Compare to 80 mastery rating, right about 1% block. Which comes out neatly to 0.4% mitigation.

1% block is worth more than that, take a paladin with 40% Avoidance and 50% block -
Code: Select all
40.00   0.00    0.00
50.00   0.59   29.50
10.00   1.00   10.00

Increase that Paladin's block chance by 1% -
Code: Select all
40.00   0.00    0.00
51.00   0.59   30.09
09.00   1.00   09.00

Giving a damage reduction of 1.04%
1-(39.09/39.5)

The glove tinker gives a damage reduction of 1.45% when active, 0.29% overall.
1-(61/61.9) and (12/60)*(1-(61/61.9))

I think.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby theothersteve7 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:53 pm

I knew that point weighting was around here somewhere! Much better, thanks. I remember going through that armor versus mastery bit that Theck used when there was the shield enchant question. A straight conversion ratio is more useful.

I think I figured out what I did wrong. I forgot to account for block increasing in value at higher avoidance and block levels, much as the damage mitigation from armor does. Also might have messed up the damage reduction from armor somehow. Those fractions are easy to get turned around if you're not paying attention.

Thanks again for your help.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Jeremoot » Wed May 18, 2011 4:14 pm

I prefer the Synapse Strings. It's a little strength bonus, which is never bad, and I get 125 parry rating when it's up.
Jeremoot

Postby PsiVen » Thu May 19, 2011 10:56 pm

It's extremely hard to get any use out of the quickflip deflection plates when they put my much more powerful trinkets on CD. If it was a longer cooldown with more concentrated effect, it would be much more useful. As it is I can only use them once or twice a fight when EVERYTHING else is already exhausted.

Rocket boots are still worth the price of admission in my book. Cardboard assassins were awesome before they were pummeled unceremoniously into the ground.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby wrathblood » Sat May 21, 2011 1:45 pm

I worked out the math on EJ a while back, and depending on your assumptions (plates on cooldown, fight length, incoming damage), Plates + Shield belt is actually pretty comparable to the benefit from other professions. Personally, I macro my plates in with DP which I don't hit on cooldown, but close enough that I probably get 80-90% usage (which, honestly, from a valuation problem is a pretty significant hit to their value).

On the one hand, this allows zero value for the convenience/perks stuff which every profession has, but the Engy ones are generally a lot better than what's available to other professions (goggles, bolt gun, repair bots, etc). On the other hand, higher damage makes the belt look worse so while its fine for normal 10 modes, it scales badly for heroic 25s and its just going to get worse unless they bring in upgrades, and that's not even counting it malfunctioning (that having been said, I use the belt a lot and I can't remember getting the "inverted field" malfunction since we were working on regular halfus).

The cardboard assassin was gloriously OP until they stomped it. Still, where the assassin works, its amazing, but that list of places isn't very long.

Now that my guild has 2 more Engys to provide bots, Alch looks better and better all the time. If I hadn't spent all that time grinding out obscure, disappeared in the Cataclysm recipes I probably would have dumped Engy already.
wrathblood

Postby h0gic » Fri May 27, 2011 9:33 am

Profession based wipes are not fun, and I've had both malfunctions cause them. After the Quickflip incident I switched to Synapse Springs, and the Grounded Plasma Shield wipe lead to the swap to Nitro Boosts.

Quickflip: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82403
Plasma Shield: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82406

I've considered dropping Engineering entirely, but I'm currently the only one in our 10m and Jeeves is terribly handy.
h0gic

Postby Yelena » Fri May 27, 2011 11:27 am

h0gic wrote:Profession based wipes are not fun, and I've had both malfunctions cause them. After the Quickflip incident I switched to Synapse Springs, and the Grounded Plasma Shield wipe lead to the swap to Nitro Boosts.

Quickflip: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82403
Plasma Shield: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=82406

I've considered dropping Engineering entirely, but I'm currently the only one in our 10m and Jeeves is terribly handy.

Unless something changed since I last used the Plasma Shield (months ago), both of those backfires you listed are tied to that particular tinker.

If one takes the time to notice, glove tinkers do not fail, while belt tinkers can; simply because only the glove tinkers are what is used in balancing against other profession bonuses. The parachute cloak is a nice bonus, as are the belt tinkers, but since the belt isn't used for balancing reasons, the latter tinkers are free game for "unintended" side-effects.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby h0gic » Fri May 27, 2011 11:52 am

That makes more sense, considering that I've never seen the dps ones fail. I just assumed that the first malfunction was the hands based on the description on the debuff.
h0gic

Postby PsiVen » Sun May 29, 2011 12:23 am

I never found the plasma shield much use, but cardboard assassins were amazing while they lasted.

My rocket boots have had about a 60% failure rate on heroic bosses since I started using them. It's pretty great.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Jaitee » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:38 am

i miss wrath where when you where in a raid the rocket boosts couldn't fail wish they would bring that back for all the belt tinkers kinda sucks to have half my profession bonus only being useful as an absolute last ditch effort to survive
Jaitee

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations