Ret Aura, Thorns

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Ret Aura, Thorns

Postby VikrumthePally » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 am

Does anyone know how much threat these actually produce? I tried the search feature and I didn't find anything even remotely close. Also didn't see a mention of Ret Aura in the theckmatlab.

I am having a lot of trouble keeping the adds on me during Heroic Maloriak. I don't know what our DK is doing but soon as they drop they shoot strait to him, and the entire time I am WoG'ing the raid and myself, and using Holy Radiance on CD. If not him it's our Pally or Druid healer. Then if (err when!) one of my many abilites miss it's a nightmare.

But yeah sometimes the adds I have on me, tab targetting hotr, HW, a healer or dk tank will peel them off. It's becoming very frustrating. So I am looking into some alternatives. We typically never use thorns/ret aura so I was curious if it would be worthwhile to switch. 2 Paladins always in raid btw, 10 man.
VikrumthePally

Re: Ret Aura, Thorns

Postby Flex » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:27 am

I recall back in WotLK when they reduced the damage of Ret Aura by 50% they made it produce increased threat, or so they said. I am not sure if that still holds true today, if not the threat done is damage done*3 for both abilities.

They're heading to the DK because Death Strike heal produces threat and WoG does not.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby wrathblood » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:41 am

WoG now produces zero threat, and DKs are a nightmare to keep adds away from because the healing aggro they generate via DS is not reduced by 90% like all of your damage abilities are. I do Maloriak with a DK tank, and it was really rocky. Until we swapped and put him on the adds and me on the boss. Worked much, much better.
wrathblood

Postby Aerron » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:59 am

Ret Aura Maloriak sounds like a bad idea, imo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the aura damage is attributed to the person being hit, not to you (unless it's you). Thus, if an add runs to a healer and whacks him a few times before you can get to it, the healer is going to have just that much more aggro you'll have to overcome.

Also, when you get up to 9 adds or so, they hit pretty hard. I think every bit of mitigation you could get out of Devo aura would be worthwhile.
Aerron

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:06 am

I'd suggest less WoGing and more use of Inquisition. You could also try to have a ring of frost up on the adds that are already up when the 3rd wave of adds spawns, so that the new adds are out of range of the old adds for longer and so get the damage reduction aura later, giving you enough time to land some solid hits without too much damage reduction.
Rhiannon

Postby Zonzede » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:17 pm

wrathblood wrote:WoG now produces zero threat

Whoa. I missed something major.
When did this happen? Was it listed in notes that I overlooked?
Zonzede

Postby VikrumthePally » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:13 am

Zonzede wrote:
wrathblood wrote:WoG now produces zero threat

Whoa. I missed something major.
When did this happen? Was it listed in notes that I overlooked?

I'd like to get some info on this claim as well please.
VikrumthePally

Postby theckhd » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:05 am

It was hotfixed sometime mid-January, as far as we can tell. It was never listed in any set of patch notes. It has, however, been experimentally verified several times on live servers by independent testers.

Ret aura generates double threat, so damage*6 with Righteous Fury up. I'm not sure about Thorns, presumably it's just a generic damage*3.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby PsiVen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Your best bet is to hit them before they pile up with the rest. You shouldn't be losing aggro to healers once you've had the chance to HotR them a couple times. I typically rely on using both taunts liberally, which sometimes results in the DK tank having to taunt the boss back. Since it's only blue phase that causes trouble picking up the adds, this usually isn't a big problem.

If you have a holy paladin, you can probably simplify things a lot by getting them to use RF. They will definitely be putting out more threat than Death Strike, they won't* be standing near the boss, and they can take a few hits from stray adds. You might need to get them to click it off occasionally if you're kiting a lot and not getting enough threat, but taunting alone should be enough if only one target is getting the aggro.

*I should clarify that they probably would be standing near the boss if they could, to melee for mana. They may or may not actually fit in melee to do this during blue vials, but get them to stand somewhere more convenient, like dead center in the back.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations