Remove Advertisements

dodge-parry ratio

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: dodge-parry ratio

Postby vexryn » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:29 am

theckhd wrote:The DR ratios for dodge and parry are the same, but you get 5% base parry and only ~3.9% base dodge. Hence, to keep DR balanced, parry should be about 1% higher.

Awesome. Thanks Theck.
vexryn
Maintankadonor

Postby majorwoo » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:40 am

theckhd wrote:The DR ratios for dodge and parry are the same, but you get 5% base parry and only ~3.9% base dodge. Hence, to keep DR balanced, parry should be about 1% higher.

My understanding was when we are standing around unbuffed looking at our gear we should be reforging to balance our dodge/parry ratings (not the % you see on the sheet) - this ends up with parry coming out ~1% ahead after riad buffs. (Now in some cases this is overly min maxing, but this is how I've been measuring it)

Is this not an accurate, fairly easy way to keep track?
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:13 am

majorwoo wrote:Is this not an accurate, fairly easy way to keep track?

No, because dodge gained through agility does not show up as rating on your character sheet, so that method will give you different results depending on the amount of agility gear you're using. The only way to accurately balance the two is to compare the total dodge and parry percentages that show up on your character sheet while fully raid-buffed. You get more dodge than parry from raid buffs, so this generally means that while unbuffed, you'll have more parry than dodge.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:33 am

Is it worth reforging parry into dodge where possible?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:38 am

Nikachelle wrote:

If your fully raid buffed parry is significantly higher than your dodge then yes it is worth it if gaining .X% avoidance is worth it.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:46 am

Nikachelle wrote:

Depends on your definition of worth. As Flex said, we're talking about tenths of percents worth of avoidance unless you're heavily imbalanced to begin with. Going from 15% dodge + 13% parry to 14.5% dodge + 13.6% parry is probably not going to be all that noticeable in a practical sense, even though it's a unilateral increase in avoidance.

I've done it on some pieces, but I've been lazy about keeping up with it as my gear upgraded, so I'm probably due for a re-reforging binge. Maybe I'll do that this week when I regem.
theckhd

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:51 am

Not sure what I am raid buffed, but unbuffed I'm sitting at:

Dodge 10.60%
Parry 14.50%

Looking at my gear, there seems to be about five pieces I could reforge from parry to dodge, without affecting items that have been reforged to mastery from hit and expertise.

Edit: I actually bring this up because my co-tank mentioned something to me about this last night. But he phrased it a bit differently I think. That being said, he's also a DK, so I don't know much about their stats.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 am

In that case, it may be worth looking into. I'd suggest taking a look at askmrrobot.com. About two weeks ago I helped them fine-tune their stat weights for prot tanks, so it should be suggesting reasonable gear combinations with the stock weightings. The stock weightings tend to be a little mastery-heavy, so for example it takes my current setup (mast in yellow, mast/parry in red, mast/stam in blue) and considers it "correct." Bumping up the Stamina weight from 66 to 67 converts it to a more stamina-heavy mode (stam in blue, parry/stam and mast/stam in red and yellow respectively).

More importantly, we managed to root out a bug in their DR algorithm; now it properly balances dodge and parry via reforging, accounting for full raid buffs. So even if you ignore the gemming advice, it'll give you pretty good insight into which items you should reforge from parry->dodge.
theckhd

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 am

Aha. Looks like all five pieces I was talking about are recommended to be turned from parry into dodge rating. Thanks for that.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Jaitee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:18 am

inthedrops wrote:
PsiVen wrote:The ideal ratio is actually slightly more parry rating than dodge, assuming you have Windwalk. I'd like to see what exactly that number is, but I'm guessing it's ~70 and impossible to hit for most reforging setups.

With all the strength on our gear, and the amount of gear also including parry, I find it impossible to reach the ideal dodge/parry values these days and more or less gave up. I suppose different rings or something might help but with my current gear it's not possible. And yes, this is after reforging where possible/sensible from parry to dodge.

im in the same boat i just cant seam to reforge anymore parry into mastery or dodge! and my parry is 2.7% higher

i get 769 parry alone from strength which is the main culprit for this!

im not complaining that i have to much avoidance i just wish i could turn a little more parry into mastery =D
Jaitee

Postby Awyndel » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:47 pm

With the amount of parry on high end gear, it gets really important you reforge into some dodge untill you're approx on the right values. It's not a huge difference, but ignoring it can cost you 0.5% easily, if not more.

As for details, the differences are truly tiny. But I used those 0.02% once to regain the block cap after regemming. I was amused :P .
Awyndel

Postby Fetzie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Does this mean that I can simply multiply the agility on an item by 0.6 and see that as "dodge rating"?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby RedAces » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:14 pm

yes.
RedAces

Postby Celyn » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:16 pm

I use this formula to determine how much higher my parry rating should be than dodge:
====Paladin======
For when using mastery food
Parry-dodge={[(agility+549)*1.05-base agility]*0.58}-{[(str+549)*1.05-str]*0.25}

When using dodge food
Parry-dodge={[(agility+549)*1.05-base agility]*0.58}-{[(str+549)*1.05-str]*0.25}+90

=====Key========
Parry=total unbuffed parry rating
dodge=total unbuffed dodge rating
str=total unbuffed strength
agility=total unbuffed agility
base agiltiy=your base agility
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis
Celyn

Postby Lathdari » Sat May 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Windwalk has about a 30% up-time, and adds about 3% dodge. Obviously that will make it impossible to hit a 1% difference between parry and dodge consistently. It seems to me that something like 2% more parry than dodge without windwalk (but with the raid buffs) might be about right. Then you would have 1% too little dodge two-thirds of the time, and 2% too much dodge the other third.
Lathdari

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations