Remove Advertisements

HotR & Hit Rating

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

HotR & Hit Rating

Postby Dreamstar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Sorry if this should have gone onto another thread however I feel this is quite a specific point as it's only about HotR and hit rating in regards to HotR.

A new set of patch notes has gone up listed 4.0.6a (found Here and is now stating that if HotR misses the AoE will not occur.
Blizz wrote: If the primary attack of Hammer of the Righteous fails to hit the target due to miss/dodge/parry/block, no enemies will be affected by the area-of-effect attack

Without having done any testing I think this is going to seriously hamper our AoE threat if we're under (or too at least too far under) the hit cap now. Where as before missing the primary HotR was ok as the secondary AE still occured now it seems when if we get a streak of maybe 2,3 or more missed/dodged/parried/blocked HotRs then we could risk losing the entire pack.

Would someone with more math/sim skills than I be able to do some preliminary testing and see if this is going to be as bad as I feel it will?
I'm fairly confident that for AoE tanking this change is going to push us much closer to needing the hit cap. Also if I'm not mistaken Paladins are the only tanks who seem to be 'under target' from Blizzard at the moment which doesn't seem to be justified as we're not exactly OP tanks at the moment when compared to the others.
Dreamstar

Re: HotR & Hit Rating

Postby theckhd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:12 pm

This has already been mentioned in quite a few other threads on several of our forums today. This is a buff to HotR, not a nerf. The holy component has always been contingent on the success of the physical portion on live realms. The only change made in 4.0.6 was to fix the combat log entries and suppress the animation when the physical portion misses.

In other words:

4.0.1-4.0.3a:
HotR(phys) miss/dodge/parry -> No nova component
HotR(phys) hit -> Nova component makes attack rolls for each target (spell table)
Animation goes off on every cast

4.0.6:
HotR(phys) hit -> Nova component makes attack rolls for each target (spell table)
Animation goes off only on HotR(phys) success

4.0.6a:
HotR(phys) hit -> Nova component hits all eligible targets automatically
Animation goes off only on HotR(phys) success

Your AoE threat should only improve with this change.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Re: HotR & Hit Rating

Postby Dreamstar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Ah, in which case my appologies.

Thank you for clearing that one up Theck.
Dreamstar

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations