Weapon Enchants

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Weapon Enchants

Postby claisa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:32 am

During Wraith i was a blood-draining man. Laughing at how bad blade ward was.

Now i am wondering with the change in health pools, the reduction in overall amounts of parry. I was wondering if blade ward has increased in value and comparable to the current maelstrom crystal dodge based proc enchant.

Or as we have levelled has the likelyhood of bladeward proccing dropped of like crusader does after level 60.
claisa

Re: Weapon Enchants

Postby Hammerthis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:39 am

There was math done on Elitest Jerks that says that the order is

Windwalk>BladeWard>Mending
Hammerthis

Postby claisa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:59 am

has the world gone even more mad, apart from the patch, people have started reading elitist jerks again :)

So if thats the case its the best cheap enchant.
claisa

Postby bldavis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:08 am

claisa wrote:has the world gone even more mad, apart from the patch, people have started reading elitist jerks again :)

So if thats the case its the best cheap enchant.

i would think its the weapon chain
at least until more people level their enchanting and mats cost go down

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Arianne » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Mending is pretty cheap IMO.
Arianne

Postby wrathblood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:20 pm

EJ is still good for some classes but its terrible for others.

Where was this math you're referring to? I wasn't able to find it, and its not in the prot pally section. I didn't see it under warriors either, but since warriors get more from parry than us, and I have issues with its summary, it might be there somewhere. Still, for us, its not a great enchant.
wrathblood

Postby Siral » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:23 pm

I still trying weapon enchants (before using windwalk on the epic weapon from Maloriak) but i cant still decide which one is the best.
Now, after some days of research, i've found a guy with blade ward, but today i played as retri in raid, so i didnt tested it.
Siral

Postby exiledknight » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Mending never procs, and the heal is smaller than from BD, windwalk is by far the best enchant you can get, from pouring through my logs the first week I had it I was seeing about a 60-70% uptime per fight(other than Nefarian where I kite adds and its lower)
exiledknight

Postby wrathblood » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:59 pm

"Never" is an overstatement. I believe its a 12% proc rate, producing around 900 health with each heal.

According to some napkin math at EJ, the breakeven point between the healing from Mending vs the damage saved from the Windwalk enchant is around 12k dps incoming blockable damage, which pretty much means that for heroics you'd want Mending, for Raids you'd want Windwalk (giving zero value for the run-speed).

Also, as a sidenote, the healing threat, I believe, puts it only narrowly behind Hurricane. So, its not a threat to Avalanche or Landslide as a serious threat enchant, but its pretty strong among the also-rans.
wrathblood

Postby tlitp » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:49 am

Formulation-wise, Mending is 3 PPM on "physical" abilities, and 15% (with 15s ICD) on "spell" abilities. Threat-wise, it's solidly behind Avalanche but generally better than Hurricane.
tlitp

Postby wrathblood » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:41 am

Really? Better than Hurricane? Is that assuming 0% overheal?
wrathblood

Postby tlitp » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:28 am

Pre-4.0.6 : Hurricane, Mending. In the typical 5man scenario (low Vengeance and low overhealing), Hurricane trails behind significantly; in raid scenarios they're a bit more balanced, but Hurricane it's still disadvantaged by its very nature (uptime-based versus proc-based). When the time-off-target is non-negligible (movement/target switching/phase transitions/stuns), proc-based effects like Avalanche and Mending are consistently less penalized than their uptime-based counterparts.
tlitp

Postby exiledknight » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 am

wrathblood wrote:"Never" is an overstatement. I believe its a 12% proc rate, producing around 900 health with each heal.

According to some napkin math at EJ, the breakeven point between the healing from Mending vs the damage saved from the Windwalk enchant is around 12k dps incoming blockable damage, which pretty much means that for heroics you'd want Mending, for Raids you'd want Windwalk (giving zero value for the run-speed).

Also, as a sidenote, the healing threat, I believe, puts it only narrowly behind Hurricane. So, its not a threat to Avalanche or Landslide as a serious threat enchant, but its pretty strong among the also-rans.

Over the two weeks worth of raiding while I did have it, I saw on average 2.4ppm when combing through logs to determine if it was worth getting windwalk.
exiledknight

Postby PsiVen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:14 pm

My eyes actually begin to bleed when I see a prot paladin with Hurricane on their weapon.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby d503 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:36 pm

PsiVen wrote:My eyes actually begin to bleed when I see a prot paladin with Hurricane on their weapon.

Yeah, this day and age I can't imagine that Hurricane does more to increase threat than a Weapon Chain for someone under hitcap (read: most of us).
d503

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations