Avoidance direction?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Avoidance direction?

Postby matt09524 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Hello

I have read many of the articles here and some things in my head are not falling in line here.

What are the basic combat mechanics when a boss swings at me. From my understanding, first the 5% standard miss chance comes into play. If the mob is still going to hit me, I then have a chance at dodging OR parrying. If I do not perform either, I then have a chance to block based on my Mastery level. If I do block, I will block for 40% of the incoming damage. If not, I take the entire hit.

With that said, I am seeing the 102.4% number come up a lot. Problem is, different people are attaching different terms to this number. Some are saying it makes you unhitable, others say uncrushable (although this was done away with some time ago) and others attach even more nonsensical names to that number. I understand what it is (Dodge, Parry, Block chance + 5% base miss), but how can a concrete number like that be thrown in there when such variable are in the equation. Tank 1 can stack dodge and parry to get higher numbers while tank 2 stacks Mastery. I know diminishing returns will make it harder to get parry and dodge benefits as high as mastery, but in theory, they could both come out with the same 87.5% total avoidance, but where one has mastery stacked, the other does not.

In Cata, I am 85, heroic geared + some epics. My block chance is about 45%, my parry is about 12.5% and my dodge is 11%. The problem I have with all this is where to go from here? I have read to even out parry and dodge as much as possible, even if it means reducing one via reforging. Some say don't worry about anything and just reforge everything to mastery. Again, I know gemming/enchanting dodge or parry is not good because I would get more benefit from Mastry in terms of avoidance, but what are the cata numbers starting to look like or does it even matter as long as you get to 102.4%?

I have seen a lot of the math in the theorycraft section, but not a lot of result when it comes to anything other than DR, Armor benefit or how much of a stat does it take to earn 1 point of it. I'm not looking for hard numbers, just some direction.

I am currently gemmed hit/expertise and mastery.

And thoughts on the matter are appreciated.
matt09524

Re: Avoidance direction?

Postby rodos » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:52 pm

I suggest a great place to start reading is Theckd's article Basic Training 101: The Attack Table on the Basic Training forum. It explains how boss hits and calculated, and why Mastery is more effective at reducing total damage taken than Parry or Dodge.
rodos

Re: Avoidance direction?

Postby matt09524 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:08 pm

This is exactly what I was looking for, answered all my questions and changed my way of thinking!

I appreciate your reply.
matt09524

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations