Flask choice in Cata?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Flask choice in Cata?

Postby Fulgur » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Greetings,

I'm a long time lurker (since the TBC days), but first time poster.

I did a search and couldn't find any threads about this, so I thought I'd ask a question that has me pondering.

Has anyone considered using the Mastery and Armor elixirs over the stam flask when raiding in Cata? In previous expansions, the normal choice of flask for EH is health/stamina. However, since Cata flasks give 300 Stam, it's only itemized at 200 pts vs the 300 that other flasks are. So an Elixer of Mastery which gives 225 pts of itemization is 'better' than the flask. And if you add 900 armor from the Elixir of Deep Earth, I would think it'd give more EH than 300 stam from a flask (though I have no math to prove it).

Of course it'll probably be pricier on non-farm content due to having to drink every attempt. But it would make being block-capped on content that requires it easier.

And for those of you who like to stand around cities w/ high health pools later on in the expansion, you could gear/gem/enchant for stam, and rely on the elixir to be block-capped.

Any opinions? Am I missing something?
Fulgur

Re: Flask choice in Cata?

Postby bldavis » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:06 pm

first off, welcome to being a poster

i would like to see some numbers on this just to make sure but this sounds like my alchemist will be BUSY this expansion! it does make sense. plus with the elixirs, as you pointed out, we can stick with stam stacking gemming that we did in WotLK

very good idea, but as you said it would be a PITA for progression raiding to have to carry a stack or 2 of each elixir, but with the WotLK stam model giving us 10 base health (before talents/class bonuses), the flask is 3k health out of health pools of over 150k.

iirc the stam->hp conversion is changing and we will get less hp per stam, however with my luck im quoting outdated info or i am bass ackwards so take this with a grain (or 5) of salt, but if this is true, then that should push the deck in favor of the elixirs

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby tbolt » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:09 pm

I think I will wait for the mathematically inclined to figure out exactly which one is better but I would assume that for heavy magic fights, you would use stam. For heavy physical fights, I'm guessing what will happen is that we will use the mastery one until we don't need it to get block capped anymore and then use armor. In general, I'm guessing most will use the stamina one as it is all purpose, scales with buffs, and increases our threat through vengeance, not to mention it boosts your 'skill' while standing around in a major city.
tbolt

Postby Meloree » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:37 am

Didn't everyone carry around armor elixirs plus stat elixirs in WotLK? The combination has always been stronger on most fights - I did almost all of progression T8 and T10 with those. I flask on farm content, though.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Alandrek » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:53 am

Meloree wrote:Didn't everyone carry around armor elixirs plus stat elixirs in WotLK? The combination has always been stronger on most fights - I did almost all of progression T8 and T10 with those. I flask on farm content, though.

I tended to stick with flasks for progression, both for convenience and the versatility of health. However, I also come from a history of guilds where DPS/healer issues were a far larger portion of wipes than tanks dropping dead simply for lack of EH.

That said, you are correct that armor/[xyz] elixir combos were better for fights that were largely physical damage.
Alandrek

Postby blakk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:12 am

It seems to me that with block being so strong at mitigating damage now we will want to use the mastery until it's possible to be block capped without. Then one of the others depending on the fight. Most will probably just use the stam for convenience IMO
blakk

Postby Neptuno » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:15 am

yeah, i used elixirs on the start of a raid and went to a flask if it looked like we were going to be dying... a way to really only need 2-3 flasks a night. with flask durations increasing via guild perks, i'd see the flask being something for normal modes or those who just want the higher hp. haven't raided at 85 yet, but my bet is that at t11, even using neither a flask or elixirs won't make or break your raid, but yes they did say that elixirs were along the lines of 75% of a flask each.
Neptuno

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations