Remove Advertisements

avoidance n percentages

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

avoidance n percentages

Postby CLEEK » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Ok i know this has been posted but can someone tell me the actual percentage numbers for avoidance.Also im in icc 10 gear the guild im in dont run icc 25 much n with new patch n not being able to do both icc 10/25 in same week.ill post a liink to my character.Tthe armory isnt updating so its not showing the new gear i have on.Im wearing the 264 badge chest cataclysmic chestgaurd the 264 libram (libram of the eternal tower n the 251 sword the facelifter.What im trying to find out in my current gear will i do ok with my avoidance in icc10

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dunemaul&cn=Kreyadon
CLEEK

Re: avoidance n percentages

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:12 pm

Your avoidance seems fine. Chill of the Throne reduces the importance of avoidance in ICC anyhow.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Minara » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:21 am

Sorry to correct you on that matter, Fridmarr :(

Chill of the Throne is gone with 4.0.1 and it didn't interfere with the value of avoidance in the first place. Increasing avoidance by 1% gives the same bonus, no matter whether we are at 60% or at 40%.

Avoidance didn't matter much in 3.x, with 4.0 it's a bit more interesting since you achieving the block cap is really valuable (see other threads on these boards), pretty required for lk / sindy hc, i guess. For normal modes in 10 mans you should be fine without it (:

The England soccer team visited an orphanage in Cape Town today. "It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope" said Jamal aged 6.
Minara

Postby Kihra » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Minara wrote:Chill of the Throne is gone with 4.0.1 and it didn't interfere with the value of avoidance in the first place. Increasing avoidance by 1% gives the same bonus, no matter whether we are at 60% or at 40%.

Actually Fridmarr was right. In terms of relative damage reduction, going from 60 to 61 is definitely more valuable than going from 40 to 41.

Consider a 1k hit. At 40% avoidance over the course of 100 hits, the tank takes 60k damage. At 41% avoidance, the tank takes 59k damage. This is a damage reduction of 59/60 = 1.7%.

Now consider a tank with 60% avoidance. That tank takes 40k damage over the course of 100 hits. At 61% avoidance, the tank takes 39k damage. This is a damage reduction of 39/40 = 2.5%.

Take it to the extreme and imagine a tank that avoids 98 out of 100 hits. That tank takes 2k damage. 1% avoidance will cause the tank to take only 1k damage instead. This is a damage reduction of 1/2 = 50%!

The value of 1% avoidance in terms of relative damage reduced most definitely does increase as you acquire more avoidance.
Kihra

Postby CLEEK » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:33 am

Ok so with that being said im still not sure if my current stats are correct i reforged a few pieces of gear to get some mastery n to gain abit of expertise.Like i said earlier i dont get into 25 mans much more so now since we cant do both.My guild is current 11/12 icc 10 we are trying to down lk.
Which is who im tanking so i need to find out what i should try to do to up my avoidance stats to be safe n not take a 60k crit to the face.Ive gotten a few pieces of gear since last post.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dunemaul&n=Kreyadon
CLEEK

Postby Olen » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Don't gem Expertise.
Don't stack avoidance. Take Mastery to reduce incoming hits. You get more "avoidance" per point of Mastery than dodge or parry. Remember in progression tanking, the way mana regen currently works and bosses 2shotting tanks, a guaranteed 30% reduction in a melee swing far exceeds a chance to fail at avoiding the damage entirely.
Avoidance helps you take less damage over time, but it doesn't prevent you from taking 3 hits in a row and looking soft.
On LK your healers have to heal you like you're about to take a ton of damage, they can't wait until after your avoidance has failed and try to recover. So you're not even changing how they cast on you. Avoidance is largely not worthwhile in ICC except against Saurfang. This has nothing to do with Chill of the Throne either.

Craft the 264 boots. Buy the emblem 264 gloves. Use Glyph of Seal of Truth for Expertise.

The way Vengeance works now, you're going to have LK loaded down with threat, you need to gear for survival. I would absolutely go into LK under hit and exp soft cap if it means I can reduce damage or increase my health.
Olen

Postby econ21 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:23 am

Olen wrote:Don't stack avoidance. Take Mastery to reduce incoming hits.

Yes but with reforging the only way currently to get mastery, there is a limit to how much that can take you to block capping without uber gear. After that, you do stack avoidance until block capped.

For LK, I would prioritise getting block capped over little increments of effective health. If so, we have to look at how to most efficiently trade off avoidance for stamina, as Digren set out in his pre-4.01 gearing guide. The norm used to be only gem for +12 stamina socket bonuses. Now, as Digren currently says, for some levels of gear, gemming even for +6 stamina bonuses may make sense.
econ21

Postby Olen » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:25 am

I'd make the obvious, easy, ginormous gear upgrades before gemming for threat or avoidance. If you really want to tank LK I mean. If its not important don't change anything.
Olen

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations