Remove Advertisements

Reforging/Mastery/Block Cap Compilation Guide (4.0.X)

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Reforging/Mastery/Block Cap Compilation Guide (4.0.1)

Postby Biggus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:49 am

Ted wrote:Altogether: (101.85% + raid buff)>102.4%

The raid buff (155 agi + 155 str) is worth approximately 2.4%. Once you are over 102.4%, additional block is wasted. So, in my opinion, you have too much mastery.

You have two options for reducing damage:
(1) Mitigate it with additional armor via gear or enchants.
(2) Avoid it by increasing dodge and parry despite diminishing returns.
Biggus

Postby Amonet » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Hey guys

I've been reading some theorycrafting and this topic has left me with a question:

Atm, without any buffs, I'm at 84.20 Blockcap (without the 15% from HS), to reach the blockcap I appernaly need to get 87.2, which is 3%. I have everything, except for my libram, reforged to mastery rating to getting closer to the cap (My libram was reforged to +hit instead of dodge in order to maintain the Hitcap).

Currently I'm wearing two HP trinkets - Sindragosa's Flawless Fang and Corroded Skeleton Key. Is it worth replacing one of these, for a +dodge / parry or even block trinket - to get block capped? Or am I already blockcapped raidbuffed? Cause I'm not too sure about how much % the 155agi/str, kings etc will give alltogether.
Or should I change my back enchant to 22 agi (instead of armor, yes I know, the value has gone down) and glove enchant to 2% threat/10parry (instead of 18STAM) and shield enchant to 20dodge rating? I'm guessing it won't get me at the desired block cap.

Another question (somewhat related): What is more important now (and obviously in Cataclysm): Getting high HP, or making sure of being blockcapped and then getting High HP / EH?

Looking forward to a comment(s) ^^

P.S. Sorry if this was explained in some previous comments, haven't read through all of them.

Amonet
Amonet

Postby Neptuno » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:33 pm

Amonet wrote:Hey guys

I've been reading some theorycrafting and this topic has left me with a question:

Atm, without any buffs, I'm at 84.20 Blockcap (without the 15% from HS), to reach the blockcap I appernaly need to get 87.2, which is 3%. I have everything, except for my libram, reforged to mastery rating to getting closer to the cap (My libram was reforged to +hit instead of dodge in order to maintain the Hitcap).

Currently I'm wearing two HP trinkets - Sindragosa's Flawless Fang and Corroded Skeleton Key. Is it worth replacing one of these, for a +dodge / parry or even block trinket - to get block capped? Or am I already blockcapped raidbuffed? Cause I'm not too sure about how much % the 155agi/str, kings etc will give alltogether.
Or should I change my back enchant to 22 agi (instead of armor, yes I know, the value has gone down) and glove enchant to 2% threat/10parry (instead of 18STAM) and shield enchant to 20dodge rating? I'm guessing it won't get me at the desired block cap.

Another question (somewhat related): What is more important now (and obviously in Cataclysm): Getting high HP, or making sure of being blockcapped and then getting High HP / EH?

Looking forward to a comment(s) ^^

P.S. Sorry if this was explained in some previous comments, haven't read through all of them.

Amonet

of course this results in me being a tiny margin under the cap as it stands on live depending on how well kings impacts your stats (though it's being adjusted heavily for 4.0.3 with recent changes), i think of it like this:
102.4 - 2.4 (kings+battle shout) - 15 (holy shield) - 5 (miss) = 80%
if you're dodge and parry around 20% each like most of us after reforging, you need around 40% block before you start pushing hard cap expertise.
of course with Holy Shield being BV soon, this will all change, but that won't change level 80 most likely.

as for your enchant questions, agility is still a great dodge bonus (greater than titansteel)... if you're really falling short and are close you may want to consider yellow sockets for +9 stam bonus since you can pick up 10 dodge while only losing 6 stam.
Neptuno

Postby Amonet » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:21 am

Thanks for the fast comment.

Wasn't the 5% miss already calculated into the script? ( /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5)) )

That one is telling me I´m at 84.2. So does that mean that I'm actually wasting 4,2 avoidance now, which could be expertise / hit or what not?
Amonet

Postby Metherlance » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:49 am

Amonet wrote:Thanks for the fast comment.

Wasn't the 5% miss already calculated into the script? ( /script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5)) )

That one is telling me I´m at 84.2. So does that mean that I'm actually wasting 4,2 avoidance now, which could be expertise / hit or what not?

It is easiest to check by asking a friend dk or warrior to buff you with horn of winter/battle shout. Buff yourself with kings and smack a training dummy so you can get holy shield up, after that click the macro. Anything over 102.4% (it's better to be over it than a little below) in most cases is useless, so you could reforge mastery to hit or expertise, or anything you want.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chromaggus/Metherlance/advanced

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby Amonet » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:38 am

Alright, prob solved. Thanks alot
Amonet

Postby Adryl » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:16 am

I noticed this on my Frost/Unholy dk thread about mixing set bonuses. Would taking two pieces of the Ret T10 for the 5% increase of dmg be a viable boost for threat? Granted you will be missing out on dodge/parry but you could simply reforge for a little bit of it or just get mastery. But would the extra oomph help out in the long run?
Adryl

Postby steadypal » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:21 am

Adryl wrote:I noticed this on my Frost/Unholy dk thread about mixing set bonuses. Would taking two pieces of the Ret T10 for the 5% increase of dmg be a viable boost for threat? Granted you will be missing out on dodge/parry but you could simply reforge for a little bit of it or just get mastery. But would the extra oomph help out in the long run?

you might be able to get away with using ret gloves and legs because they have a tanking threat stat on them already, just trade out the crit for dodge or mastery
steadypal

Postby Metherlance » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:23 am

Adryl wrote:I noticed this on my Frost/Unholy dk thread about mixing set bonuses. Would taking two pieces of the Ret T10 for the 5% increase of dmg be a viable boost for threat? Granted you will be missing out on dodge/parry but you could simply reforge for a little bit of it or just get mastery. But would the extra oomph help out in the long run?

Not really, since threat in raids is already so sick high (due to vengeance). In 5mans it could be viable, but nothing to really go for.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chromaggus/Metherlance/advanced

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby krick » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:47 am

steadypal wrote:
you might be able to get away with using ret gloves and legs because they have a tanking threat stat on them already, just trade out the crit for dodge or mastery

That's what I was thinking. The gloves have a bunch of hit, and the legs have a bunch of expertise. I'd just reforge the crit into mastery.
krick

Postby Beth0r » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 am

Hello,

I am having a hard time with Reforging I hoped that someone here could help me.

After this last patch I read every article that I could find on how to fine tune my tank. I feel pretty good about the 939 and I got the UI and add-ons to where I like them however I don’t understand the Reforging.
If possible could someone please help me?
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &cn=Bethor

I would love to start tanking again however I don’t want to set myself up for failure.
I really appreciate your feedback
Thank you in advanced.

Bethor
Beth0r

Postby sculder » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Beth0r wrote:however I don’t understand the Reforging.
If possible could someone please help me?
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &cn=Bethor

I'm confused as to what you are looking for... If you're going for block cap, the first post outlines your target numbers and various methods of getting there. Provided that you are in 264ish gear, block cap should (for the next few weeks, anyways...) be a priority and will be fairly easy to obtain.

The only advice I can give you is to be a little more specific; are you having trouble reaching the block cap? Wondering if you should block cap? Not sure what any of this means? Anything to narrow the field down to something that wasn't answered in the first post.
sculder

Postby Beth0r » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:49 pm

I guess the main problem is I don’t know what to reforge.
I don’t want to reforge the wrong piece.

A friend told me to reforge every piece but I wanted to get a second opinion from this board first.

thank you Bethor
Beth0r

Postby Awyndel » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:04 pm

You can reforge anything bethor, and any stats. Long as you reach the block cap. If you want a certain amount of hit or expertise you might wanna not reforge those stats away. From dodge or parry just chose the highest, unless you're fine tuning in the end, then you can try to balance them.
Awyndel

Postby Beth0r » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Great thank you!

Bethor
Beth0r

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations