Remove Advertisements

Reforging/Mastery/Block Cap Compilation Guide (4.0.X)

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Reforging/Mastery/Block Cap Compilation Guide (4.0.1)

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Behalter wrote:So my question to this thread:

After reforging for Mastery and Hit, has anyone been able to hit Expertise hard cap?

I'm block capped, 7.84% hit, 52 expertise in my dps tanking set, which has -5k hp, -3k armor than my general tanking set.

In my general tanking set I'm lacking 20 expertise and 1% hit.

I could shuffle some things and gems and cap it all, and I'm even missing 277 belt and back. People with all the items probably have no problems at all.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Anubisknight » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks folks.

I switched Dodge over in almost all cases except the libram. Easily reached block cap :)
Anubisknight

Postby Kaory » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:04 am

Guys, could u tell me, please, if there any abilities to debuff a boss with hit chance reduction?
Is this calculated in that "block cap" macro I've seen in many topics?
Kaory

Postby Sathoris » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:10 am

Kaory wrote:Guys, could u tell me, please, if there any abilities to debuff a boss with hit chance reduction?
Is this calculated in that "block cap" macro I've seen in many topics?

Since it's a boss debuff it doesn't apear in the "block cap" macro.

There were 2 classes from what I remember that applied the hit chance reduction. Hunter with sting and Boomkin with IS (Insect swarm unglyphed). Now I'm not uptodate with these two classes changes to know if this is still available.
Sathoris

Postby Veezgirl » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:40 am

All these statistics on Hit/Exp, Dodge, Parry, Block scare me. I just love tanking and wished for a non-fail strategy to reforging. So after spending hours switching out 264/277 gear that was sitting in my bank, re-gemming, re-enchanting, reforging through trial and error to get to the elusive "block cap," I decided to share what I learned and hopefully save some (who are like me…numbers challenged) gold and time to get Block Capped.

1. I suggest putting all of your relevant gear from your bank in your bag before you begin the process. I ended up switching at least 3 pieces.

2. First to optimize your Hit/Exp stats using all the gear you have available… don’t be tied to a 2/4 piece bonus. FYI… I did have to gem for expertise since i was below (I think because there was a talent for it previously... correct?)

3. Next “Go Crazy with Dodge.” Why? Because dodge is on almost all tanking gear and has the highest values on your gear making it the most flexible stat for reforging. One way you can do this is through enchanting your chest, back, and shield with dodge. You can also use your yellow gem slots for dodge, but I don’t suggest doing that until you have reforged most of your gear.

This hopefully will take you well above the dodge cap of 21.6.

3. Before you reforge take a look at your parry and make your adjustments there. Your hands probably have the enchant for parry, but if you don't it's worth the enchant. Some of you might have some opportunity to reforge some of your parry. If you are below, don’t worry about getting to the cap at this point. Just be aware of the deficit so you can make adjustments in the end.

4. Hopefully at that point you will only be converting dodge into mastery until you hit the block cap. Some of you will likely go below the dodge cap of 21.6, but as long as your reach the Block Cap you should have better gains to compensate. Also keep in mind that you could gem for dodge if you feel the need, but I wouldn’t dedicate a lot of gem slots unless you are well below the dodge cap.

In the end… I reforged most items from dodge into mastery to get to the Block Cap with exception of my legs and rings. Since my hit was a little high I converted the hit on my rings to mastery. At that point I was at 37.99 (buffed with kings only), so I decided to convert my legs to the remaining parry cap.

At the moment I am at 8% Hit, 35 Exp (glyphed), 21.6% dodge, 21.4% parry, and 37.99% Block.

I ended up compromising stamina when switching gems and enchants, however I am a JC and have 3 JC stam gems and also have two 228+ stam trinkets with damage CD I got from badges and Sindragosa.

Just wondering... I tanked HM ICC 10 up to LK this week before I reforged my gear and honestly other than the spiky damage and more frequent use of CD’s it went smoothly. I am just wondering why the urgency to get to this Block Cap. I only did so because I trust those of you who live and breathe this stuff. (smile)
Veezgirl (Sarah) My Armory Link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... venth+Hour
:D
Last edited by Veezgirl on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veezgirl

Postby sculder » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:58 am

The main purpose of block capping is for progression fights and general min/maxing. Sure, it's not necessary to be capped, but if you can reach it without too much loss, then 30% physical damage reduction is a pretty good thing to have.
sculder

Postby Biggus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:18 pm

sculder wrote:Credit to Polonadis:
Being "block capped" means that you will block every melee hit that is not avoided by a dodge or parry. The block cap is at 102,4% and is the sum of dodge, parry, opponent's miss chance and our block chance. We get about 36% of combined block chance and avoidance for "free" : 5% base block chance + 16% block from mastery, 5% miss and approximately 5% dodge (depending on race - base agility). This means that we need about 66,4% of combined block chance and avoidance from gear to reach the block cap.

Useful in-game macro for avoidance:
Code: Select all
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5))

The goal is to reforge the gear in such a way that the last value the macro computes comes as close to 87,4 as possible while using a minimal amount of mastery rating. (Holy Shield provides the missing 15% )

It is worth noting here that certain buffs will affect your total avoidance. As of 4.0.1 these buffs are:
- Kings/Mark of the Wild
- Horn of Winter / Battle Shout
- Agility/Strength Food
- Blessing of Light, from last word

How to reforge quickly for block cap and threat (assuming that you are ICC geared and not hit capped): Bring 320 gold to the reforger. You are going to reforge the larger of parry and dodge on all of your gear.

0. If you plan to regem any yellow or red slots, read note on regemming below.
1. Reforge to reach the melee hit cap (currently 246 hit rating).
2. Reforge everything else to expertise.
3. Buff yourself with kings.
4. Ask a nearby DK or warrior nicely to help you. Once you have one in your party, ask for Horn of Winter / Commanding Shout. If you are lucky enough to have the mace, Last Word, then smack a squirrel or rabbit that can be found on the nearby grass in order to proc its strength bonus. Immediately pop the macro given above and thank the DK/warrior. Write down the number. We will call it current mitigation.
5. You need to add (87.4 - current mitigation) * 22.953 mastery rating to your gear by restoring from expertise and reforging to mastery. Copy down the amount of expertise reforged onto each piece of gear. Choosing the right pieces involves solving the subset sum problem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subset_sum_problem). I solved mine by hand, but you might want to use a computer program.
6. If, after reforging all of your gear to mastery, you still haven't reached the block cap, then it may be time for desperate measures (depending on how concerned you are about the block cap). You can add approximately 0.5% dodge by eating +40 agility food. (That's the equivalent of 11.5 points of mastery, at the cost of 40 expertise, so avoid it if possible.) You can also reforge 61 mastery onto your dps trinket or 60 mastery onto your caster trinket. People will laugh at you, but 60 mastery gives you more than 2.6% block.

Note on regemming:
(a) For a balanced toon (or if you are worried about reaching the block cap at all): put dodge+stam gems and parry+stam gems in yellow and red slots that have an acceptable socket bonus (see http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... c&start=15 for advice on socket bonuses).
(b) For maximum threat: use some hit+stam gems in order to minimize the reforging for hit in step 1. This takes a little planning. To determine the amount reforgeable on each piece without paying any gold, just stop half way through the reforging process. Put dodge+stam and exp+stam gems in the remaining yellow and red slots that have an acceptable socket bonus.

Followup: After several visits to the reforger (thanks to gear upgrades), I have come up with the following refinements:

* In step 2 above, reforge everything to mastery instead of expertise. This will save time and gold unless you are uber geared.
* In step 4, use the following macro, which gives an extra digit and always rounds down. The OP's macro can round up, so if it says 87.40 you might not really be block capped
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.3f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+4.9995))

* In step 5, you need to remove (current mitigation - 87.4) * 22.953 points of mastery rating by restoring from mastery and reforging into expertise.
Last edited by Biggus on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Biggus

Postby polonadis » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:43 pm

Biggus wrote:4.5 If you are lucky enough to have the mace, Last Word, add 1/3 to current mitigation.

What? why? could you elaborate on this because I seem to be missing something here
polonadis

Postby Biggus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:23 pm

polonadis wrote:
Biggus wrote:4.5 If you are lucky enough to have the mace, Last Word, add 1/3 to current mitigation.

What? why? could you elaborate on this because I seem to be missing something here

Oops. What was I thinking? The guide has been revised.
Last edited by Biggus on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Biggus

Postby Awyndel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:19 am

Good guide biggus for when you want to max out expertise.

I could be wrong here but as I understood it you get 25% of your str into parry rating. So for last word, with kings, that's 26.25 rating, wich is about 0.4% parry. Rating should be subject to DR.
Awyndel

Postby Biggus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:15 am

Awyndel wrote:I could be wrong here but as I understood it you get 25% of your str into parry rating. So for last word, with kings, that's 26.25 rating, wich is about 0.4% parry. Rating should be subject to DR.

Thank you. You are correct. I have revised my guide accordingly.
Last edited by Biggus on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biggus

Postby Thalastor82 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:06 am

Hello,

I would like to take back into the discussion two topics that were presented in the first page and then abandoned:

- Is the change announced for mastery still valid? I'm referring to the blue post of Oct 13th claiming that :
"* Mastery: Divine Bulwark now increases your chance to block melee attacks by 24%, up from 16%. Each point of Mastery increases block chance by an additional 3%, up from 2%."

- I tried the Eternal SD metagem and verified that the blocked value rises from 30% to 31% in the stats displayed on the character sheet. Has anyone an idea if it is worth trading 32 stamina and 2% armor against 21 dodge rating and +1% blocked value?
In my particular case I am (raid buffed): block capped, dodge & parry at about 22%, hit capped, and between soft and hard cap for expertise. I had to trade some stam for all these nice stats, though.
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... =Thalastor
Thalastor82

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 pm

The change in mastery to 3% block per 1% mastery is only on beta, and is active there.
Rhiannon

Postby Ted » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:21 am

Hello Everybody!

I would like to ask your help in connection with my reforging and block calculation. My problem would be that my guildmates say that parry and dodge are at diminishing return so that my avoidance does not good enough to tank. They say I get too much damage.

Here is my character: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... cn=Endorah

You can check how much point did I reforge to mastery by the defense part.

Parry: 20.9%
Dodge: 22.57%
Block: 38.38% + 15% holy shield which are 53.38% altogether.
Miss: 5% base
Altogether: (101.85% + raid buff)>102.4%

I can still reforge some if neccessary but all the forums says that combined avoidance should be over that amount. Guildmates are talking about my total avoidance is about ~70% because of the diminishing return. However I read that the amount written on the character sheet is the amount after diminshing return.

So am I geared correctly? Or should I reforge more mastery?
Ted

Postby AriKT » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:39 am

Thalastor82 wrote:Hello,

I would like to take back into the discussion two topics that were presented in the first page and then abandoned:

- Is the change announced for mastery still valid? I'm referring to the blue post of Oct 13th claiming that :
"* Mastery: Divine Bulwark now increases your chance to block melee attacks by 24%, up from 16%. Each point of Mastery increases block chance by an additional 3%, up from 2%."

- I tried the Eternal SD metagem and verified that the blocked value rises from 30% to 31% in the stats displayed on the character sheet. Has anyone an idea if it is worth trading 32 stamina and 2% armor against 21 dodge rating and +1% blocked value?
In my particular case I am (raid buffed): block capped, dodge & parry at about 22%, hit capped, and between soft and hard cap for expertise. I had to trade some stam for all these nice stats, though.
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... =Thalastor

1% Block Value is slightly better than 2% Armor for melee hits. Then it becomes is 32 Stam better than 21 Dodge Rating? Dodge Rating only effects melee hits, while the Stam is useful against non avoidable attacks. I'd say its somewhat a wash for now.

But, the level 85% BV meta is currently 5% Block Value and Stamina is static between that and the Armor meta. In that case, the BV meta is better.
AriKT

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations