Remove Advertisements

Reforging/Mastery/Block Cap Compilation Guide (4.0.X)

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Reforging/Mastery/Block Cap Compilation Guide (4.0.1)

Postby Arianne » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Is it worthwhile to reforge dodge into parry if you're significantly unbalanced. For example, after reforging for block cap, I still have 26.11 dodge and 22.72 parry (and 33.02 block).
Arianne

Postby sculder » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:17 pm

Faolchu wrote:I'm sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question but a lot of this has gone over my head (in my defence its 2am :P).

But is the 40% block target with Holy Shield active or before you activate it (via 3xholypower etc).

I'm a little confused by your wording... We essentially need 102.4% avoidance to be "block capped." Holy shield is a major contributor to this percentage, so if you run the macro below while not in combat (HS not active), it should be at least 87.4% if you want to be capped. Just remember that raid buffs will add to your total avoidance, most significantly is horn of winter which adds roughly 2 or 3 % avoidance.

Code: Select all
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5))
sculder

Postby Rabs » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:02 am

sculder wrote:Useful in-game macro for avoidance:
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5))

Did I miss a change somewhere or does this macro not take Diminishing Returns into account?
GetParryChance() spits out the same number as my Character sheet & the Character sheet says "Before Diminishing Returns". I remember seeing a macro during 3.x that did calculate our combat table coverage after DR.

My apologies if I missed a change somewhere, just want to confirm that we're not doing stuff wrong!
Rabs

Postby Chicken » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:46 am

redrenius wrote:
sculder wrote:Useful in-game macro for avoidance:

Did I miss a change somewhere or does this macro not take Diminishing Returns into account?
GetParryChance() spits out the same number as my Character sheet & the Character sheet says "Before Diminishing Returns". I remember seeing a macro during 3.x that did calculate our combat table coverage after DR.

My apologies if I missed a change somewhere, just want to confirm that we're not doing stuff wrong!
The character sheet chance does actually take diminishing returns into account. The only thing that doesn't take into account diminishing returns is the tooltip that shows up when you hover over it; that is it says what your dodge/parry rating would give you before diminishing returns.
Chicken

Postby Rabs » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:49 am

I see. Thanks for clarifying that!
Rabs

Postby theckhd » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:32 am

econ21 wrote:I want to ask something a little off topic, but given that we both have warrior alts you may have given this some thought: does the recommendation to reforge avoidance to mastery still hold for warrior tanks? With the critical block mechanic they have, I guess the smoothing damage argument is not as strong but still has some force?

My warrior is worse geared than my pally though (5200 gs vs 5900) so the cost in avoidance may be more significant.

I honestly have no idea. It should be much more difficult for them to reach block cap. I don't have time to work out the math for it right now, so rather than guess I'll just say "go see if someone on Tankspot has worked this out yet."
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Lanthorr » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:08 am

Has anyone looked over the exact amount of avoidance gained from raid buffs?

I am at the point of sacrificing hit cap for block cap, but I am not exactly sure it is necessary. I am currently at 85.02% out of 102.4% needed (unbuffed and w/o holy shield). With raid buffs this should be enough to cap me, but if I can dip a little lower (I have 210 hit rating and would like to bump up to the cap) then I will change some of the mastery I have into hit rating.

Also, worth mentioning that in my specific case I have Last Word which gives me an additional 100 str with almost constant uptime. With the change to str->parry, this buff gives me another 25 parry rating bringing me to 85.35%.
Lanthorr

Postby sculder » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:23 pm

Lanthorr wrote:Has anyone looked over the exact amount of avoidance gained from raid buffs?

I am at the point of sacrificing hit cap for block cap, but I am not exactly sure it is necessary. I am currently at 85.02% out of 102.4% needed (unbuffed and w/o holy shield). With raid buffs this should be enough to cap me, but if I can dip a little lower (I have 210 hit rating and would like to bump up to the cap) then I will change some of the mastery I have into hit rating.

Also, worth mentioning that in my specific case I have Last Word which gives me an additional 100 str with almost constant uptime. With the change to str->parry, this buff gives me another 25 parry rating bringing me to 85.35%.

There's really only 2 buffs you need to worry about in your calculations - battle shout and kings. Kings and MOTW don't stack anymore, and battle shout is the same as horn/totem. Combined they give you about 3% avoidance, but the exact amount will vary depending on your stats.
sculder

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:40 pm

I started taking a look at my own stats on live, and found I'm nowhere near being able to block cap. With one avoidance trinket and ICC 10/Frost emblem gear, I've got 21.6% dodge, 21.8% Parry, and 9.46 Mastery (23.92% block) from a tiny bit of reforging. The macro puts me at 72.37%, a full 15% short.

Does it take higher level gear for this to be feasible, or is this because I'm still geared in bonus armor items?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Lanthorr » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:55 pm

sculder wrote:There's really only 2 buffs you need to worry about in your calculations - battle shout and kings. Kings and MOTW don't stack anymore, and battle shout is the same as horn/totem. Combined they give you about 3% avoidance, but the exact amount will vary depending on your stats.

I got into a group with one of those classes with the non-kings buff and figured out, for me, the amount gained from kings and <other buff> is 2.49%. My gear is a mix of 251-264 mostly. I am using Ick's Rotting Thumb and Fervor of the Frostborn both reforged for mastery to reach block cap. I will use this setup for melee fights and 2x stam trinkets for magic fights.
Lanthorr

Postby Lanthorr » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:56 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I started taking a look at my own stats on live, and found I'm nowhere near being able to block cap. With one avoidance trinket and ICC 10/Frost emblem gear, I've got 21.6% dodge, 21.8% Parry, and 9.46 Mastery (23.92% block) from a tiny bit of reforging. The macro puts me at 72.37%, a full 15% short.

Does it take higher level gear for this to be feasible, or is this because I'm still geared in bonus armor items?

Are you counting in Holy Shield? That would account for the missing 15%.
Lanthorr

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:59 pm

72.37% without Holy Shield is still 15% short when you add Holy Shield in.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby steadypal » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:03 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I started taking a look at my own stats on live, and found I'm nowhere near being able to block cap. With one avoidance trinket and ICC 10/Frost emblem gear, I've got 21.6% dodge, 21.8% Parry, and 9.46 Mastery (23.92% block) from a tiny bit of reforging. The macro puts me at 72.37%, a full 15% short.

you'd have to get your mastery up higher, u dont have any of your pieces with hit/expertise that can be adjusted?
steadypal

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:10 pm

I do, but I was trying to avoid lowering those, since I'm not capped to begin with.

(And yes, I'd hve to get my Mastery higher, that's kinda the whole point...)

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby steadypal » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:19 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I do, but I was trying to avoid lowering those, since I'm not capped to begin with.

(And yes, I'd hve to get my Mastery higher, that's kinda the whole point...)

just checked out your gear, just need to upgrade a few things and then ur g2g on reforging, keep in mind the armor pieces arent all that great anymore compared to others,,, badge glove/belt/pillars, if u can say get tier legs, or ones off marrow, that'll solve quite a few problems with you... your 245 badge trinket is kinda meh, can u get your hands on anything else? shoot even corpse tongue,,, heh can get reforged now, only tank trinket fwiw...
steadypal

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations