Remove Advertisements

Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Marilee wrote:That's a silly comparison. It'd be more like if they made it so warriors had several seconds added to the cooldown of Shield Slam every time a Devastate missed/parried/dodged. Blah.

There are a lot of things wrong with that comparison, so much so that if it weren't a blue poster that I'd write it off as a troll. It has nothing to do with "failing" or missing attacks. It's about the resource generation model for the class.

But then again, i guess Zarhym is a CM, not a game designer. WTB Ghostcrawler back.

I'm going to need to adjust the analytical models considerably now. As a brief brainstorming session, which is all I have the energy for at the moment, this reduces our rotation to:

CS-X-

X is filled by SotR>J>AS>Cons>HW. Thus, what matters now is not a 9-second cycle, but a 3-second block. We need to figure out the following things:
  • mean number of CS casts to gain 3 holy power as a function of hit/exp
  • chance of J being available (easy, for a 3-second cycle it's always 1 every 9 seconds, or 1 out of every 3 cycles)
  • chance of AS being available (we've already solved this problem for the 9-second rot, this is a minor variation)
  • chance of Cons being available, given the interference effects of J and AS
  • chance of HW being available, given the interference effects of J, AS, Cons, HW

This should allow us to calculate weighting factors for the X slot for each ability, which we can double-check against the priority simulation.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Fetzie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:38 pm

When browsing the us forum I saw this thread

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2046564949

apparently Avenger's Shield is stacking Censure on the targets it lands on. There is a WoL link in the thread and a youtube link which supposedly confirm this.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Sur-Pseudo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Pyrea wrote:When browsing the us forum I saw this thread

apparently Avenger's Shield is stacking Censure on the targets it lands on. There is a WoL link in the thread and a youtube link which supposedly confirm this.

will it do initial application? or just refresh/restack ?

I'm in the middle of a raid so can't really test it at a dummy atm
Sur-Pseudo

Postby Durability » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 pm

Pyrea wrote:When browsing the us forum I saw this thread

I can confirm this behavior. It triggers Seal of Truth damage as well at 5 stacks.

EDIT: Between that and it no longer doing OP things with DC:H, perhaps AS and HOW are classed as melee attacks now for the purposes of game mechanics?
Durability

Postby econ21 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:16 am

This is not really a matlab question, but if AS applies censure, is this going to cause problems with pulls with CC? If we AS, then the dps CC some of the AS targets, will the censure break the CC? If so, should we let the dps CC pull first and we fire AS after to pick up those not CCd?
econ21

Postby Durability » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:36 am

econ21 wrote:This is not really a matlab question, but if AS applies censure, is this going to cause problems with pulls with CC? If we AS, then the dps CC some of the AS targets, will the censure break the CC? If so, should we let the dps CC pull first and we fire AS after to pick up those not CCd?

I'd suspect yes, but you could always just swap while the mobs moonwalk towards you.
Durability

Postby Cavalorn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:45 am

Well done Blizz -.-

Bad news for wogger/survival-builds with extremly low hit/exp and rets who have to attack in front of a mob sometimes due to boss-mechanics.
Do they know something about a ressource called holypower?!?

Turning HoW and AS into "meele-attacks" adds another differnt behavior into our spell-mechanics. Wohooo melee-range-attacks number 2 + 3 besides judgement...if I'm correct, am I?
They won't procc DC:H now, instead of this, you will get seal-proccs and censure applys... which should be more powerfull.

Head -> Desk
Cavalorn

Postby Cema » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:54 am

Long time I didn't post here

The holy power nerf is really a terrible idea.

With no reforging into threat stats not only do we do less HPS than before, but less DPS (where we were already doing less dps than other tanks even with shield slam spam) and most of all our rotation is now completely chaotic

I'm partially doing the theorycraft for the french community on forums and atm I have next to no clue about what to do and what to think
Cema

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:03 am

Bad news for WoG threat. According to Jere, WoG was hotfixed to generate no healing threat at some point in patch 4.0.3a. I'd love if someone could test this on a low-level mob somewhere to confirm.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Nazzar » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:34 am

I can confirm that Wog Doesn't make any threat any more. Tested it on High level mobs and low level mobs.
Nazzar

Postby Dwarfadin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:43 am

Nazzar wrote:I can confirm that Wog Doesn't make any threat any more. Tested it on High level mobs and low level mobs.

This is kind the icing on the cake.
I won't hide i'm nerdraging right now, unannounced stealth-nerfs just piss me off.

I tested the rotation on dummies, and it's plain broken. It's quite common having all our abilities on cooldown.
I suggest that probably we'll have to prioritize AS procs first ( just behind Judgement for mana), something like J>AS>3ShoR>CS>Cons>HW. It seems to be the only way to minimaze blank GC. If so, AS must be glyphed.
Of course it needs testing.
- Dwarfadin: now with much more beer, and much less sparklez -
Dwarfadin

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:06 am

Dwarfadin wrote:
Nazzar wrote:I can confirm that Wog Doesn't make any threat any more. Tested it on High level mobs and low level mobs.

This is kind the icing on the cake.
I won't hide i'm nerdraging right now, unannounced stealth-nerfs just piss me off.

I tested the rotation on dummies, and it's plain broken. It's quite common having all our abilities on cooldown.
I suggest that probably we'll have to prioritize AS procs first ( just behind Judgement for mana), something like J>AS>3ShoR>CS>Cons>HW. It seems to be the only way to minimaze blank GC. If so, AS must be glyphed.
Of course it needs testing.

Did you bother to read the updated priority sim calculation on the first page? Nerdraging or not, there's no point spouting crap that's already been calculated as inefficient.

Plus, it should be obvious that the queue you suggested is going to be bad. Your solution to our lower holy power generation is really going to be to drop our HP generator to the bottom of the queue?? Think about that for a second. That only magnifies the problem.

The change to CS cements its position at the top of the queue. Delaying it for anything else (except SotR, of course) is going to be a significant threat nerf, because you're going to create longer periods of no-damage output, more empty GCDs, and reduce holy power generation even further.

Our queue will remain SotR>CS>filler. The only question is exactly what order we want to choose for the filler. It seems right now that J>AS>Cons>HW and AS>J>Cons>HW are roughly equivalent. At high hit/exp, J>AS is likely to win out, at low hit/exp, AS>J is probably a little better.
theckhd

Postby lythac » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:21 am

For any empty GCDs are there reasons not to use Divine Plea (cancel aura if WoG) then resume WoG/SotR>CS>filler?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:56 am

lythac wrote:For any empty GCDs are there reasons not to use Divine Plea (cancel aura if WoG) then resume WoG/SotR>CS>filler?

No, presumably not. I'll have to add that to the priority model, I suppose, since it's now relevant.

The queue would basically be SotR>CS>J>AS>Cons>HW>DP.
theckhd

Postby Malthrax » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:51 am

lythac wrote:For any empty GCDs are there reasons not to use Divine Plea (cancel aura if WoG) then resume WoG/SotR>CS>filler?

Well, that covers ONE empty global every two minutes.
Malthrax

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations