Remove Advertisements

Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x

Postby Dwarfadin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 am

Moved and edited in the right thread http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... ic#p641759
Last edited by Dwarfadin on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Dwarfadin: now with much more beer, and much less sparklez -
Dwarfadin

Postby tlitp » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:15 am

Dwarfadin wrote:The odd is, if the physical part doesn't hit, there's no report at all on logs, no message at all. The only trace left is that the Holy Power charge is gained nevertheless.

The same behaviour was in place on December 2nd (64 HotR entries, 131 HoPow), we just failed to notice it. Thanks for the report. If you happen to carry out more tests, please use the "Call to Arms" thread, providing the WoL parse(s).
tlitp

Postby Dwarfadin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:37 am

tlitp wrote:
Dwarfadin wrote:The odd is, if the physical part doesn't hit, there's no report at all on logs, no message at all. The only trace left is that the Holy Power charge is gained nevertheless.

The same behaviour was in place on December 2nd (64 HotR entries, 131 HoPow), we just failed to notice it. Thanks for the report. If you happen to carry out more tests, please use the "Call to Arms" thread, providing the WoL parse(s).

I'll run the same test again with WoL (as soon as I learn to use it) and move the post as soon as I can.
Sorry for that.
Last edited by Dwarfadin on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwarfadin

Postby tlitp » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 am

Check out the "WoL how-to" section of the CtA thread. If you still have problems with WoL, just provide the raw CL to Theck and he'll upload it.
tlitp

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Dwarfadin wrote:This is what I actually found out:

- Hammer of the Righteous can miss, dodge, parry
- If the physical portion misses, is dodged or parried, no holy nova damage is applied.
- Holy nova damage can separately miss (spell hit) upon a physical hit.

The odd is, if the physical part doesn't hit, there's no report at all on logs, no message at all. The only trace left is that the Holy Power charge is gained nevertheless.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We were already aware of the behavior of the nova component, but the lack of combat log entry led us astray on the physical component. If you're interested in helping more with the mechanics testing, I'll echo tlitp's suggestion that you check out the Call to Arms thread. We can always use more smart testers.

To address some of your other concerns:
Dwarfadin wrote:During the test i've noticed an oddity about the Vindication behaviour.

- Both phys. and Holy components proc Vindication. They separately miss.
- Holy nova applies Vindications on every target: the tooltip says only primary targets.

Yup, this is the known behavior. It was changed in beta, but the tooltip was never updated to match the new behavior.

Dwarfadin wrote:- The double roll for the debuff application on your primary target can result:

Refreshed, Refreshed
Miss, Refreshed
Miss, Miss
Refreshed {only one line}
http://img838.imageshack.us/i/log1g.png/

There exists no "Refreshed, Miss" neither stand-alone "Miss".
Not really sure what the meaning is. They are not connected to Holy nova misses. I don't even think we should care about it.

No idea, but I agree with your conclusion.

Dwarfadin wrote:Other notices:

Recount reports that Censure DoT can be parried and dodged. This might refer to the application though. It needs further investigation.

The behavior of Censure has already been investigated, though for the life of me I can't find the post where we tested it. This is the application being parried or dodged; the DoT itself cannot miss.

Dwarfadin wrote:
Theckhd wrote:Judgement, Exorcism, and Hammer of Wrath don't poc seals on live. And nothing but auto-attacks stack Censure on live.

Judgement DOES proc the seal on live (like CS, doesn't refresh the DoT), it can be easily observed.

Judgement doesn't proc seals at all, in fact. The application of the Judgements of the Just debuff is what triggers SoT/SoR. This has already been tested carefully in the Call to Arms thread. If tested with 0/2 in JotJ, Judgement doesn't proc any seals.

It's noteworthy that in the build on the PTR, both Judgement and JotJ applications proc seals as of the latest testing due to the Retribution changes (all single-target attacks now stack Censure and proc seals). It's not clear if these seal double-procs will make it through to live, or whether they'll finally catch on and remove the seal proc from JotJ to compensate.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Dwarfadin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Thank you Theck for your attention.
Sorry if I brought on topics already discussed. I was unaware of the JotJ proc'ing Seal of Truth, that's a nice discovery for me.

I've already applied maintankadin guild on Word of Logs, i'm waiting for your confirmation for uploading.
Tonight I'll run an extended test (6+ hours) to get better numbers about HotR.
Dwarfadin

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Dwarfadin wrote:Thank you Theck for your attention.
Sorry if I brought on topics already discussed. I was unaware of the JotJ proc'ing Seal of Truth, that's a nice discovery for me.

I've already applied maintankadin guild on Word of Logs, i'm waiting for your confirmation for uploading.
Tonight I'll run an extended test (6+ hours) to get better numbers about HotR.

It shouldn't take anywhere near 6 hours; check the Call to Arms thread, tlitp has requested a parse of 30 HotRs.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:50 am

I'm working on the 4.0.6 code, and I noticed that there's a slight discrepancy between the mmo-champion database, the wowhead database, and the armory for spellpower weapons.

Example:
MMO: Twilight's Hammer
Speed 1.70
550 - 1022 Damage
(462.4 damage per second)
+219 Stamina
+146 Intellect
Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 97.
Equip: Improves haste rating by 97.
Equip: Increases spell power by 1954.

WH: Twilight's Hammer
Speed 1.70
42 - 80 Damage
(35.9 damage per second)
+219 Stamina
+146 Intellect
Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 97.
Equip: Increases your haste rating by 97.

WA: Twilight's Hammer
Speed 2.30
550 - 1022 Damage
(341.7 damage per second)
+219 Stamina
+146 Intellect
Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 97.
Equip: Increases your haste rating by 97.

This discrepancy appears for quite a few other spellpower weapons as well. If someone could do a quick in-game check to see which one of the three is accurate, I'd appreciate it.
theckhd

Postby cappytoi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:10 am

Hi theck,

On live (4.0.3), in game tooltip shows that the weapon dmg is 1-179 and dps is 53.1 and the weapon speed is 1.70. I don't have PTR client so I can't tell that one sadly. Hope this helps.
cappytoi

Postby tlitp » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:22 am

They've eliminated the weapon damage penalty of SP-based weapons during the 4.0.6 PTR dev builds. Most of MMOC's entries should be already updated.
tlitp

Postby Charise » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:57 pm

I know you don't support it but I tried firing matlabadin through octave recently.

It appears that strread() is not implemented in octave, and the random strread.m I found laying around the internet didn't work on my install (which isn't necessarily saying much). (I am running octave over SSH and and I didn't bother installing any of the dependencies to do plotting so I couldn't try that but everything else seems fine.)

However, it also appears that strread is being deprecated in matlab proper in favor of textscan (?). I don't have matlab myself, but from what I saw this is a recent change.

A simple 'grep -c' shows about 50 lines on which it appears. I haven't looked to see if they are interchangeable yet--but I doubt it, so it would probably be non-trivial to make the switch.

Just something to consider putting on a todo list to future proof the code and improve interoperability.
Charise

Postby theckhd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:21 pm

I'm not opposed to supporting Octave wherever possible, but I simply don't have the time to double-check the code in several different environments. If you're interested in testing it in Octave and suggesting changes that will improve compatibility, I'll try and incorporate them.

I'll try and take a look at textsan/strread once I get everything up to date for 4.0.6.
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Single-target rotation simulations have been updated, with the following caveat:

The bugged implementation of CS/HotR in this patch has thrown a wrench in the works. The analytical models have all been built around guaranteed holy power generation on CS, and a cycle time of (9+1.5*x) seconds, where x is the average number of GCDs it takes to succeed with SotR. Now, our cycle time becomes more complicated, as a missed CS incurs an added 3 seconds and messes with the fillers. I won't get time to work out new analytical results for a few days at least, and I'm hesitating to do so in the hope that this is confirmed as a bug and gets squashed fairly quickly.

What this means for now is that you're only getting a limited update today. The analytical forms will take a bit of work, but the priority sims are surprisingly robust. It took only two lines of code to "implement" the bug. As such, I can update this post immediately to give everyone some insight on how the bug affects us. If the bug is fixed, I'll update again accordingly. I have a short-term workaround planned in case the bug is actually "working as intended" and the analytical models prove to become more difficult than expected, but I'm not going to roll that out just yet.

Also note that I'm working with an old version of ability_model.m that doesn't have the CS buff included (it's still 115% in these simulations). I didn't notice that until after I generated the data, but I'll try and update it again tonight to include the extra 20%.
theckhd

Postby Redleg » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Edit: Oops, I was posting this here to confirm for you in case you were still waiting to see if it was indeed a nerf. After I posted I realized you probably already have seen this post by zarhym now.

Theck, Zarhym posted about the nerf in the damage dealing forums, once again confirming it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2046735520#12

This was a bug. A note for this has been added under the Paladin Bug Fixes section here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2166872

Missing attacks should not generate Holy Power. We generally don’t reward characters for failing to land attacks. Retribution paladins can improve their hit or expertise like other melee DPS specs do. Tanks don’t generally stack a lot of hit or expertise, but we think Protection paladins will still be able to tank just fine. Prot warriors for example miss Shield Slams.
Redleg

Postby Marilee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Redleg wrote:Edit: Oops, I was posting this here to confirm for you in case you were still waiting to see if it was indeed a nerf. After I posted I realized you probably already have seen this post by zarhym now.

Theck, Zarhym posted about the nerf in the damage dealing forums, once again confirming it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2046735520#12

This was a bug. A note for this has been added under the Paladin Bug Fixes section here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2166872

Missing attacks should not generate Holy Power. We generally don’t reward characters for failing to land attacks. Retribution paladins can improve their hit or expertise like other melee DPS specs do. Tanks don’t generally stack a lot of hit or expertise, but we think Protection paladins will still be able to tank just fine. Prot warriors for example miss Shield Slams.

That's a silly comparison. It'd be more like if they made it so warriors had several seconds added to the cooldown of Shield Slam every time a Devastate missed/parried/dodged. Blah.
Marilee

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations