Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:07 pm

AriKT wrote:From just messing around from a bit on the 4.0.3a PTR:
Crusader Strike is 115% Weapon Damage as a base.

Wrath of the Light Bringer is now 50%/100% increased Judgement and Crusader Strike damage.

This brings fully talented Crusader Strike down to 264.5% Weapon Damage.
From some quick napkin math, this puts HotR > CS.

Oh and the Boss dummy is level 88 now I believe. It shows as skull level to me. No logs for this yet, I'll see about getting some later.

Not this again. Damn you blizz...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Gamingdevil » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 pm

AriKT wrote:Oh and the Boss dummy is level 88 now I believe. It shows as skull level to me. No logs for this yet, I'll see about getting some later.

A boss level mob, always counts as being 3 levels above you, regardless of it's intended level (hence you still need 8% hit for Ragnaros for instance) I assume dummies are no different.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Gamingdevil wrote:
AriKT wrote:Oh and the Boss dummy is level 88 now I believe. It shows as skull level to me. No logs for this yet, I'll see about getting some later.

A boss level mob, always counts as being 3 levels above you, regardless of it's intended level (hence you still need 8% hit for Ragnaros for instance) I assume dummies are no different.

Not anymore in Cata, where GC hinted at going with lvl 88 that scale per tier, kind of like 88, 88-1, 88-2, so that you will always want more stats without reaching an actual cap for whatever is the latest content. So, while the first bosses of the first raids might require a certain amount of hit, the next tier would need just a smidge more of hit.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Gamingdevil » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:47 am

That doesn't necessarily mean that the boss' level will change, just that their stats will. They might just increase their dodge, parry and expertise for instance.
Gamingdevil

Postby culhag » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:53 am

Gamingdevil wrote:A boss level mob, always counts as being 3 levels above you, regardless of it's intended level (hence you still need 8% hit for Ragnaros for instance) I assume dummies are no different.

Boss level mobs scale up but they don't scale down.
For example if you go fight Ragnaros now it'll be as if he's lvl 83, but if you'd try to fight him at level 50 he won't be lvl 53. He's coded as a level 60 boss so he'll always be at least level 63.
Likewise if the dummy is coded as a lvl 85 boss it will always be at least lvl 88.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Gamingdevil » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:02 am

culhag wrote:
Gamingdevil wrote:A boss level mob, always counts as being 3 levels above you, regardless of it's intended level (hence you still need 8% hit for Ragnaros for instance) I assume dummies are no different.

Boss level mobs scale up but they don't scale down.
For example if you go fight Ragnaros now it'll be as if he's lvl 83, but if you'd try to fight him at level 50 he won't be lvl 53. He's coded as a level 60 boss so he'll always be at least level 63.
Likewise if the dummy is coded as a lvl 85 boss it will always be at least lvl 88.

Ah yes, forgot about that, good point.
Gamingdevil

Postby AriKT » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:43 am

Sorry, didn't get logs last night and probably won't before the weekend. Thu, Fri, and Sat are raid days for me.

Another thing was, that SoT and Censure were doing far less damage on the PTR than on Live. This will probably make SotP less attractive.
AriKT

Postby kristoferpally » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:51 am

1) so to clarify is hotr> cs for single target as of now and will this change post 4.03a?

2) they are nerfing gbtl from 60% to 10% increase to wog :( Pally tanks already take the most damage of the tanks (maybe less than warriors) and on top of this they are nerfing our heal that wasnt even in need of a nerf since to use it we have to give up shield slam which is a huge dps loss. /sigh
kristoferpally

Postby theckhd » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:42 am

kristoferpally wrote:1) so to clarify is hotr> cs for single target as of now and will this change post 4.03a?

No, and probably not. CS is better right now, and despite the slight (~10%) nerf in 4.0.3a it will probably remain better due to the glyph, if only by a slim margin. At 85 I suspect that CS will win hands down, as it scales considerably better with AP (~45% compared to ~33% for HotR).

kristoferpally wrote:2) they are nerfing gbtl from 60% to 10% increase to wog :( Pally tanks already take the most damage of the tanks (maybe less than warriors) and on top of this they are nerfing our heal that wasnt even in need of a nerf since to use it we have to give up shield slam which is a huge dps loss. /sigh

Is there a question here? Because there's no cheese in this thread to go with whine.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby tobit » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:14 pm

theckhd wrote:CS is better right now, and despite the slight (~10%) nerf in 4.0.3a it will probably remain better due to the glyph, if only by a slim margin.

Is this the case only if you're using a 2.6 speed weapon, or does it apply to the (admittedly, outdated) faster tanking weapons? I've been trying to get a BVB or at least a Last Word while farming honor for a Wrathful, but as of right now I'm still using a Bonebreaker Scepter. -_-

Also, does 4.0.3a fix the glyph and set bonus bugs for HotR?
tobit

Postby Gamingdevil » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:43 pm

tobit wrote:
theckhd wrote:CS is better right now, and despite the slight (~10%) nerf in 4.0.3a it will probably remain better due to the glyph, if only by a slim margin.

Is this the case only if you're using a 2.6 speed weapon, or does it apply to the (admittedly, outdated) faster tanking weapons? I've been trying to get a BVB or at least a Last Word while farming honor for a Wrathful, but as of right now I'm still using a Bonebreaker Scepter. -_-

Also, does 4.0.3a fix the glyph and set bonus bugs for HotR?

Iirc, they fixed the glyph, not the set bonus. I'm using a Mithrios and my CS hits harder than HotR, so it's better with fast weapons as well, yes.
Gamingdevil

Postby theckhd » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:30 pm

tobit wrote:Is this the case only if you're using a 2.6 speed weapon, or does it apply to the (admittedly, outdated) faster tanking weapons? I've been trying to get a BVB or at least a Last Word while farming honor for a Wrathful, but as of right now I'm still using a Bonebreaker Scepter. -_-

It should be true in either case. The gap might be narrower if you're using a slow weapon, but for tanking weapons CS should easily pull ahead. Also note that this is assuming a high stack of Vengeance.

Gamingdevil wrote:
tobit wrote:Also, does 4.0.3a fix the glyph and set bonus bugs for HotR?

Iirc, they fixed the glyph, not the set bonus.

The PTR data I've seen indicates they've fixed neither.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby kristoferpally » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:54 am

kristoferpally wrote:2) they are nerfing gbtl from 60% to 10% increase to wog :( Pally tanks already take the most damage of the tanks (maybe less than warriors) and on top of this they are nerfing our heal that wasnt even in need of a nerf since to use it we have to give up shield slam which is a huge dps loss. /sigh

Is there a question here? Because there's no cheese in this thread to go with whine.[/quote]

I was feeling crabby and needed to vent. There any butter here?
kristoferpally

Postby allikat » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:05 pm

Theck, since you've got the Shattering right now, and us Euros get our chance in 5 more hours (or so, we all know Blizz and patch day..) is there any real differences we should be aware of from a tanking paladin's perspective? Are the rotations and specs from 4.01-4.03 still 100% valid with the rebalancing?
Just planning ahead to our talent reset.
Vanilla paladins, never forget, never forgive.
Quel'serrar serrar... whatever I am, I tank :)
allikat

Postby theckhd » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:26 pm

I suspect that nothing's changed appreciably enough to make the rotation different, no. Seals of the Pure is probably a little weaker than it was if the seal nerf went through, and the ShoR change should devalue AP slightly, but otherwise things are probably identical.
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations