The Bleeding Edge of TPS

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: The Bleeding Edge of TPS

Postby Cylora » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Frist try today. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/h8talnr1drlei3ta/
Marrowgar: Our tactic involves tanks not being able to attack during bone storm, so that costs a bit of dps. Generally our Battle Group suffers from severe lag spikes at the moment so that cost a bit too. Could still have done better I think. Not satisfied yet. Perhaps I can convince my guild to do the boss a different way just one week or so.
Saurfang: Second Tank couldn't keep up at all => No dps. After the fight I remembered I could just click off Fury and recast it before taunting. Don't know how much dps that will cost me. As one ability drops out of the rotation anyway whil not tanking (Holy Shield) it shouldnt be too bad.
Rotface: Switched Gear for Deathwhisper to a bit more tank gear and forgot to switch back. I suck at max dps ^^
Festergut: That one was ok at least. Lag spikes disappeared and I was wearing the right gear xD => 15,2k DPS. Still a little bit of work ahead of me If I want to push Meloree of the throne :>
BQL: No one wanted to bite me xD Maybe I will play a bit more aggressively next week i.e. follow her into the middle when she lifts off. Not sure if there is enough room though. I wouldn't want to kill the melee :O
Rest of the Instance was in normal/almost normal gear.
Lag also slowed heals down so I was not feeling quite comfortable even on saurfang. Putricide almost killed me although I was wearing normal gear.
I will probably wait to try again until blizzard finally fixed the servers, raids are bad enough right now without me messing things up :> Maybe I even get a weapon until then. Again, no luck today xD At least I saved Dreamwalker Boots from Disenchant, maybe one more piece I can socket for dps.
Cylora

Postby xaphel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Nothing like friendly competition, Meloree. :)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-9qvbbp7squ550lnb/
xaphel

Postby boomke » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:09 pm

So today was the first 25 man run where i really tried to do some dps/tps.

You can find the report @ http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ki93uuiti5jespo1

When i was comparing reports with some of your records meloree i really noticed that your seal of vengeance dmg is way higher. Thats probably because im running around with last word. I hope next week some slow weapon will drop so i can really put out some dps :)
boomke

Postby Meloree » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Wow, this thread got popular today. Nice :)

To answer a question from last page: No, the healers really don't have any issues keeping me up. It's more damage - but my tank stats are surprisingly close to what they were back at 0% in full 264, and their output is 30% higher.

To everyone gunning for high tank DPS: Very nice. Keep pushing, I'm not going to stand still. My run this week was pretty horrible, I fumbled my rotation a number of times, and just generally underperformed. I was not pleased with myself at all. I expect to add significant DPS next week. Gratz on the Deathwhisper, though, Xaphel. I'm not likely to fight you on that one, I tend to wear frost resist gear and there tend to be minimal interrupts, so it's not really safe not to.

Getting bit on BQL is against the 'rules', though, imo. It's against the spirit of competition, like steroids in professional sports. Which, I think, is why I'm only 6th there.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:10 pm

This would be really fun to try out... except I'd have to give up my Holy spec, and I just don't have the duplicate 277 tank items. I can't regem my existing tank pieces for Str, since if I died on Heroic LK because I'd done that, I think my raid leader would kill me. :)

What glyphs are you using in this spec?
Kihra

Postby Meloree » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Kihra wrote:This would be really fun to try out... except I'd have to give up my Holy spec, and I just don't have the duplicate 277 tank items. I can't regem my existing tank pieces for Str, since if I died on Heroic LK because I'd done that, I think my raid leader would kill me. :)

SoV, AS, Judgement.

I regemmed some pieces I don't use at Halion or LK, and regem others back and forth (gem str at the beginning of Tuesday, gem back to stam at the end of Tuesday). I absolutely don't sacrifice raid-speed/performance by doing this, and I don't take risks on the two fights we don't always one-shot.

Currently, it comes to 1 head enchant (200g back and forth) 1 glove enchant (150g back and forth), 3 strength gems (600g back and forth), and one meta gem (100g) per week. Pretty minimal expenditure - almost fully covered by the 1.5 primordial saronites/week I get from ICC/Halion frost badges.

Worth noting that items like Cataclysmic Chestguard are great for regemming - you won't wear it over 277 tier in your actual tanking gear, it has loads of defense (enables more ret gear) and expertise (threat stat), it doesn't waste any item budget on the avoidance you don't want anyway, and 3 gem sockets for delicious strength.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Meloree wrote:
Kihra wrote:This would be really fun to try out... except I'd have to give up my Holy spec, and I just don't have the duplicate 277 tank items. I can't regem my existing tank pieces for Str, since if I died on Heroic LK because I'd done that, I think my raid leader would kill me. :)

SoV, AS, Judgement.

I regemmed some pieces I don't use at Halion or LK, and regem others back and forth (gem str at the beginning of Tuesday, gem back to stam at the end of Tuesday). I absolutely don't sacrifice raid-speed/performance by doing this, and I don't take risks on the two fights we don't always one-shot.

Currently, it comes to 1 head enchant (200g back and forth) 1 glove enchant (150g back and forth), 3 strength gems (600g back and forth), and one meta gem (100g) per week. Pretty minimal expenditure - almost fully covered by the 1.5 primordial saronites/week I get from ICC/Halion frost badges.

Worth noting that items like Cataclysmic Chestguard are great for regemming - you won't wear it over 277 tier in your actual tanking gear, it has loads of defense (enables more ret gear) and expertise (threat stat), it doesn't waste any item budget on the avoidance you don't want anyway, and 3 gem sockets for delicious strength.

Yeah one of the first things I observed about your gear set is that you make sure the tanking pieces are loaded with Defense, since that's what gives you room to swap in more Ret pieces. I started working on a set like this but the only chest I have is the 277 Tier. I'm now saving up badges for the Cataclysmic Chestguard, since that would enable me to equip two more Ret pieces.
Kihra

Postby Yelena » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:07 am

I've been using the Tiny Abom + Bloodvenom Blade (both 277) on most fights for a while, but like Meloree said; farm content is boring. Given that, I took a look at my gear (read: my overflowing bank) and came up with this setup (which admittedly isn't anywhere near as aggressive as Mel's setup):

http://chardev.org/?profile=437482

I also tweaked the spec slightly, taking 3 points out of Conviction to pick up SoComm and PoJ for trash (doing my part to speed the clear up... by helping keep the Warlocks alive :roll:). Next week I think I'll just use the rocket boot enchant and put the points back into Conviction.

I still have some room to improve the gear set, which I'll work on for next week. This week was mostly breaking the healers in to what I was doing, as well as getting used to the rotation, and this week also gave me a baseline to work with.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/xnv3n45kdhwedfsf/

Marrowgar, Rotface, and Bloodqueen were the 3 fights I used the set on. I wasn't too happy with Marrowgar's parse, but it gives me something to improve upon. All 3 only had Tricks on the pull, after that the Rogues proceeded to Tricks each other. Shamans were asleep on Bloodqueen, so there was no Heroism, given that I probably would have come in higher on that fight.

Overall I was happy with the results, and now have something to work on in subsequent weeks.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

Postby Kihra » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:47 am

I tried this out tonight and did reasonably well. I was a bit conservative this week, especially on Saurfang and Festergut. I'm also too lazy to regem my tank gear every week, so I still had all Stamina gems. By next week I should have the Cat chest and be able to swap in some more Ret pieces.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-e04agv9ythof3ash/
Kihra

Postby boomke » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:19 am

Yesterday we had our new run. This week i used the slow axe from gunship and i really saw a dps increase. Still made allot of mistakes and there is allot of room for improvement. Also i got lucky enough to pick up a heroic bloodvenom blade so next week i will aim for even higher dps.

Logs from yesterday: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-zi4izbh18o3osujk/
Current gearset: http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kul+Tiras&cn=Boomke

Festergut was without bloodlust :(
boomke

Postby Meloree » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:58 am

boomke wrote:Yesterday we had our new run. This week i used the slow axe from gunship and i really saw a dps increase. Still made allot of mistakes and there is allot of room for improvement. Also i got lucky enough to pick up a heroic bloodvenom blade so next week i will aim for even higher dps.

Logs from yesterday: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-zi4izbh18o3osujk/
Current gearset: http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kul+Tiras&cn=Boomke

Festergut was without bloodlust :(

So is mine. I'm out of the running for a couple of weeks. This Tuesday we did achievements to finally get drakes, and I think next Tuesday we're going for kill-time parses, which means dropping healers. And then I'll be in Scotland for two weeks. On the plus side, we recently dropped our 4th Havoc's Call, so I'm next in line for a 284 beatstick.
Last edited by Meloree on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:15 am

Meloree wrote:And then I'll be in Scotland for two weeks.

I'm jealous of your trip. Business or vacation? Regardless, enjoy.

Finally killed LK, mentioned to GM my interest in this subject. Response was not a "No" but made it very clear she wants to farm LK as much as we can before expansion. Which means "efficient" nights, which means I have to be very careful. So we'll see......
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:03 pm

inthedrops wrote:Finally killed LK, mentioned to GM my interest in this subject. Response was not a "No" but made it very clear she wants to farm LK as much as we can before expansion. Which means "efficient" nights, which means I have to be very careful. So we'll see......

Gratz on H-LK. Hope that bottle of Laphroig 18 went down really nicely. Offtopic is in PM, but on-topic: H-LK is pretty repeatable. You may have an offnight or two, but once you've killed it, it dies again. Dressing up for DPS doesn't tend to hurt your raid efficiency in my experience. If you're killing H-LK, the other 11 fights aren't really something you even pretend to take seriously anymore. I've died on Saurfang from failing to cooldown properly, and it didn't exactly stop us from killing it. If you're doing this on Festergut, you're the first tank, and if you die, the other tank is in a position to take over pretty seamlessly - BR and you'll catch the end of the fight if needed. Nothing else will actually kill you. So, frankly, if you die a couple of times, or come close, it's good practice for your healers, and it's not likely to create a wipe, or slow down the raid. At least not in my experience.

You'ld be very surprised just how much can go wrong on any of the 11/12 without preventing the kill, at the 30% buff level. The running joke in Edge every time the buff came out was "Remember, 5% more buff doesn't mean you can be 5% more stupid", but it's a lie. 30% more buff permits closer to 300% more stupid. I'd say, as a responsible tank, you've earned your share of that extra stupid.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby boomke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:25 am

Did some speedruns this week. Couldn't use full dps gear tho because we did most fights with 1 healer. But still managed to get some high dps in.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-9fs57zd3ulgx0etq/

Does any of you have the putricide abo trinket? Im really interested on the impact that trinket has on our dps.
boomke

Postby Kelaan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:39 pm

boomke wrote:Does any of you have the putricide abo trinket? Im really interested on the impact that trinket has on our dps.

Yelena wrote:I've been using the Tiny Abom + Bloodvenom Blade (both 277) on most fights for a while...
http://chardev.org/?profile=437482
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/xnv3n45kdhwedfsf/
Marrowgar, Rotface, and Bloodqueen were the 3 fights I used the set on.

Apparently several people have it. (Not me! :) But then, I don't even have duplicate tank gear to regem.)
Kelaan

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations