Remove Advertisements

Maximizing threat and stickiness

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Maximizing threat and stickiness

Postby branwell » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:38 am

G'day all,

I am trying to understand the nature of the threat we make as Pally Tanks.

Several questions if I may ( all questions assume a 969 rotation ).

- If Build A makes 5K DPS, and Build B makes 4.5K DPS, assuming both allow the use of SOC, is there any way the build with lower DPS could make more threat?

- Is this assumption correct.
Using SOC will reduce the likelihood of a runaway mob in a pack because it hits 3 ( 4 with Glyph ) targets compared to SOV which hits 1.

Epicdwarf ( grizzly hills )
branwell

Re: Maximizing threat and stickiness

Postby Gamingdevil » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:59 am

branwell wrote:G'day all,

I am trying to understand the nature of the threat we make as Pally Tanks.

Several questions if I may ( all questions assume a 969 rotation ).

- If Build A makes 5K DPS, and Build B makes 4.5K DPS, assuming both allow the use of SOC, is there any way the build with lower DPS could make more threat?

I don't really see how it could, apart from Reckoning (which is better on trash)
branwell wrote:- Is this assumption correct.
Using SOC will reduce the likelihood of a runaway mob in a pack because it hits 3 ( 4 with Glyph ) targets compared to SOV which hits 1.

Epicdwarf ( grizzly hills )

SoC doesn't hit 4 targets with glyph, that's HotR. But yes SoC is by far superior for AoE threat.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Flex » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 am

Paladin threat is directly tied to DPS so a higher DPS spec will produce higher threat.

A lower DPS spec my produce higher burst threat through procs or specific talents, but proc based burst isn't reliable.

Seal of Command is generally a great trash seal. On single target attacks, auto-attack, Shield of Righteousness and Judgement with the proper spec, it will damage up to three targets. For Hammer of the Righteous it will only proc once per target hit by HotR, up to 4 single SoC procs when HotR is glyphed.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby theckhd » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:15 pm

branwell wrote:- If Build A makes 5K DPS, and Build B makes 4.5K DPS, assuming both allow the use of SOC, is there any way the build with lower DPS could make more threat?

Technically, it could. Practically, it won't. If Build A was somehow very physical-damage heavy, it could produce less threat (because physical damage only gets a 1.43 threat modifier rather than the full 1.43*1.8).

That said, I don't think there's any way to run into this situation with a proper 969. We just don't have enough variability in our talents to boost our physical damage that severely without also boosting our holy damage.

branwell wrote:- Is this assumption correct.

Yes. SoC will spread the damage far more evenly across mobs than SoV will. The only way to get an equivalent effect with SoV is to constantly be tab-targetting between mobs to spread your SoV procs across multiple mobs. While possible for 3 or 4 mobs, it quickly becomes unwieldy on larger packs.

Also note that there are classes that don't have a dedicated aoe spell. Warriors, for example, will focus a target while using their aoe abilities. If you were to tab-target to spread SoV in a raid with warriors present, you'd generally find that they'll be pulling aggro on their mobs. If you're running SoC you don't need to bother with this - just pick a target (and make sure the Warriors /assist you), and let SoC/Consecration keep the rest of the mobs on you. Those two abilities are enough to overcome pretty much any other class's AoE spell.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby lythac » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:05 pm

theckhd wrote:If Build A was somehow very physical-damage heavy, it could produce less threat (because physical damage only gets a 1.43 threat modifier rather than the full 1.43*1.8).

Theck was trying to be cool.

And I am making bad jokes.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Chicken » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:25 pm

For bears, honey works well to maximize both.
Chicken

Postby theckhd » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm

lythac wrote:Theck was trying to be cool.

And I am making bad jokes.

Oops. Fixed.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby branwell » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks for the replies guys!!!
Epicdwarf ( Grizzly Hills )
branwell

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations