Remove Advertisements

Curator Combat Log

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Curator Combat Log

Postby Arcand » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:33 am

Here's our first meeting with the Curator. I take two consecutive crushes early on, one because of the casting bug and I guess the other one is negligence on my part. (44:02 and 44:04) The group was, IIRC:

Arcand - Prot paladin
Endyme - Holy paladin
Ballidor - priest
Lecar - priest
Zipi - warlock
Faroh - rogue
Punter - fury warrior
Sefiron - balance druid, healing for this fight
Perplex - mage
Dolittle - mage

http://www.29tharmor.com/WoW/Curator_01.txt
Last edited by Arcand on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Arcand

Postby Lore » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:04 am

Looks like it got cut off.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Dorvan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:31 am

Yeah, if you have a place to host it, it'd probably be best to provide a link to a location for downloading the log....those things get pretty long :-)
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Lore » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:47 am

Such a cliffhanger ending too! How hard did Faroh's sinister strike hit? Did Ballidor's renew tick in time? Who did the Astral Flare use Arcing Sear on next?! I MUST KNOW!
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Baelor » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:02 am

4 healers? That's a lot of healing!

Let the druid do his Moonfire thang and have the priests/holy paladin do their healing thang. With JoW up on Curator and 2-3 mana potions per healer, it can be done!

But then again, I'm a crappy raid leader who blew up his raid with a Soulstone resurrection during a Flame Wreath vs Aran on Monday. So my opinion is not worth much.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Vanifae » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:04 am

You need more spell damage, your judgements seem low.
Vanifae

Postby Kathryn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:11 am

4 healers is too much for curator, it means adds are not dying quick enough and the dmg stack up wich lets you beleive you need more heals.. when in reality you needed more DPS.
Kathryn

Postby Rhodair » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:11 am

I predict the Curator suddenly becomes friends with our heroes and treats them all to chalupas ;P
Rhodair

Postby Arcand » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:01 pm

Well, so as not to keep you in suspense, the last lines are about Lecar and Divine Intervention. :) And, so as not to make you think we could do anything right that day, some trash respawned on top of him while he was standing there. :roll:

Okay, try this:
http://www.29tharmor.com/WoW/Curator_01.txt

Edit: Looks like the link is good, so I'm going to delete the mega-post to save wear and tear on your scroll wheels.
Arcand

Postby Vanifae » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:30 pm

My apologies just seems low, maybe I am biased from gear but I like to sit on about 250 to 300 spell damage; just something I noticed, nothing wrong with more threat in my eyes.
Vanifae

Postby Arcand » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:19 pm

Vanifae wrote:My apologies just seems low, maybe I am biased from gear but I like to sit on about 250 to 300 spell damage; just something I noticed, nothing wrong with more threat in my eyes.

Definitely nothing wrong with more threat. :) I'm piling on stamina as much as possible because I don't want my guild to start looking wistfully at warrior tanks, and so far my aggro control has remained solid...but I know I can't stay at +161 damage forever.

Just so damn difficult to work it in while staying uncrushable. WTB epics which are clear upgrades from my blue quest rewards. :?
Arcand

Postby Eloff » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:38 pm

What mods are good to use for creating combat logs? Do they only save the data that you setup for the combat log window?
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby Shai » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:40 pm

Eloff wrote:What mods are good to use for creating combat logs? Do they only save the data that you setup for the combat log window?

Use /combatlog. It comes inbuild afaik.
Shai

Postby Vanifae » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:59 pm

Curator isn’t a great test of Paladin agro anyway or agro in general, the DPS should spend more then half the fight killing the adds, so if you lose agro at anytime except possibly the Evocation, then you are doing something seriously wrong.

So 160ish spell damage is fine, but you can find ways to get to 200ish pretty easy, once you get some Karazhan purples, heroic loot and the like. It isn’t as hard as you think and still remain uncrushable.
Vanifae

Postby Lore » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:28 pm

Vanifae wrote:Curator isn’t a great test of Paladin agro anyway or agro in general, the DPS should spend more then half the fight killing the adds, so if you lose agro at anytime except possibly the Evocation, then you are doing something seriously wrong.

So 160ish spell damage is fine, but you can find ways to get to 200ish pretty easy, once you get some Karazhan purples, heroic loot and the like. It isn’t as hard as you think and still remain uncrushable.

Quoted as it stands repeating, this is a very important aspect of Paladin tanking that gets overlooked a lot. A high amount of spelldamage is usually only necessary if you need burst threat; ie: your DPS is going to go all out immediately. On a fight like Curator, where DPS is only on the boss for short periods of time, you could very easily have 0 spelldamage and hold aggro with no issues whatsoever. In fact, there are precious few fights where giving your DPS a high threat ceiling is particularly important, or even helpful; many fights nowadays have so much else going on that your DPS could never catch up anyway, and even if it's a simple tank-and-spank where DPS needs to be careful with aggro, a higher threat ceiling is more luxury than necessity. Maxing your threat at the expensive of mitigation or avoidance is only necessary in DPS race encounters.
Lore
Global Mod

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations