last word = EH?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

last word = EH?

Postby steadypal » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:53 pm

can this be calculated as EH? and if so how would that work? if you are main tanking you are going to have 2-3 healers on you at all times, and the buff is pretty much 100% uptime, so add 300 to each heal, how can this be calculated? is it possible, trying to compare that, to a wpn that has actual defensive stats on it, IE, def/parry/dodge/armor....

just wondering,, i know theck is good at this type of stuff :OP
steadypal

Re: last word = EH?

Postby Harmacy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:26 am

You could apply the same argument that's used against Divinity to this weapon - most of the heals on you are overheals, so increasing the amount of each incoming heal really is of little benefit. Once in a blue moon it may have an impact on your survival, but it's not comparable to armor or even avoidance.
Harmacy

Postby steadypal » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:10 am

ah, i thought the argument for divinity was 5 talent points is alot of points to be used on 5% healing...

isnt the +300 from this mace, better than 5% anyways :P
steadypal

Postby theckhd » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:41 am

It isn't strictly EH for exactly the same reason Divinity isn't EH. That said, the "most healing is overheal" mantra has become less and less relevant as the expansion has gone on. "Trickle-down" deaths are far more common in the last two tiers of content than in Ulduar, making Last Word's buff quite potent. I'd argue it's much better than Divinity simply because it doesn't cost you talent points.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Iselian » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:31 pm

Last Word may be better than Divinity for not costing talent points, but that doesn't make either ideal. For right now (granted, I've yet to kill an endwing boss in 25; I'm halfway casual) I'd see LW as more of a threat weapon, or a weapon to use during high unavoidable damage times, when the avoidance you lose from not using other weapons wouldn't have mattered anyway.

-shruggle- On the bright side, at least we're having this kind of discussion instead of mindless "must stack x stat".

(To the original topic, it's not "technically" effective health, as it doesn't increase your effective health aside from BV. That doesn't mean it's not nice.)
Iselian

Postby knaughty » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:09 am

Last Word is definitely not EH.

Well, I suppose it has a poofteenth worth of EH through Str -> BV, assuming the case you're block-capped in ICC (don't think I am, but the point is moot anyway - Block is pathetic in ICC).

That said, my primary tanking weapon is Last Word, even though I have the ilvl 258 tank weapon out of ToGC.

Healer throughput matters now, bonus healing received is nice. I'd also assumed that it is a stellar weapon for TPS, and TPS is a serious issue in ICC.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Mex » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:28 am

The proc can't be counted as EH in the traditional sense, although the bonus healing can be effectively translated into health in any potential death scenario in which you receive a heal. Obviously it can't be quantified, because we can't reliably determine the amount / type / etc of heals you'll receive in any burst window. As Theck said though, these windows are being drawn out from the <1 second timeframes that we saw earlier in WotLK content. This is possible with fast-swinging, hard-hitting bosses coupled with the avoidance nerf of CotT (without which, the possible avoidance levels would have thwarted any real chance of death from bosses like frenzied Saurfang or 3-stack Festergut). In these sorts of situations, you'll often take a huge amount of damage (more than your EH) within a wider (although still narrow) window, such as 3-4 seconds. Whether or not you survive these bursts will often depend on exactly how much healing you receive.

Obviously, the traditional notion of EH is still highly relevant to a lot of ICC content (well, technically to all of it), but it's worth noting that not all tank deaths are now insta-gibs. This does increase the benefit of things such as Divinity, LW's proc, and armour (and Amp Magic! Keep this up on pretty much anything that's not Sindragosa!).

That said, I use LW purely as a threat / DPS weapon. The proc isn't enough to make up for the loss of stats imo.
Mex

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations