Remove Advertisements

The Current Worth of Block Value

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

The Current Worth of Block Value

Postby Jirroll » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:49 am

Hey Guys,

Got something to ask you about, hope you don't mind. I have a friend who thinks he knows for certain that Block Value is still useful and viable for current end game raid tanking. Now I only mean for Trash and stuff...but is this true? My understanding is that a full on block value set has no use in any form in places like ICC. But does it?

I'm talking about a set where you have 3000+ BV but of course your HPs take quite a hit. I have a very high block value set, but I haven't whipped it out in ages, using only my best Raid Gear in places like ICC. But is he at all right, is BV at all still good?

He is 100% sure it is and pretty much everyone else is wrong...so I dunno.

Thanks.
Jirroll

Re: The Current Worth of Block Value

Postby Metherlance » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:02 am

For Morrowgar trash it sure is great, but after that not so much. For example BQL trash, you most likely are stunned a lot there + bleeds + magic damage, so BV does nothing there.

If you are tanking adds on Gunship, there it shines too. It's VIABLE for Saurfang on normal, pretty much because he hits so soft.

I don't even bother to change them on anymore.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chromaggus/Metherlance/advanced

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby Jirroll » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:05 am

Hey thanks for replying, Meth, appreciate it.

Pleasantly surprised by your answer, so thanks. Truth is I've been a BV whore since BC, and was sad when I thought of it's low worth in the current game. I had quit when Ulduar came out, and came back for 3.3 so I missed alot, like Ulduar itself and ToC. I'm glad to find out I could still use my BV set in the right situation.

In ICC I am almost always the OT, so knowing my set is useful on things like the Gunship is nice to know. What is the cap on BV? I mean, when is it too much and not really helping anymore? I can get over 3200 BV + 450 from the Libram, but a severe hit to my hitpoints. I probably need to find a better balance.

Next time I run ICC, I am going to sneak on my BV set during trash and see how it goes! =)
Jirroll

Postby hoho » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:28 am

For damage mitigation there is no cap. For dps/threat it was somewhere around 3.5k IIRC
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby Metherlance » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:36 am

hoho wrote:For damage mitigation there is no cap. For dps/threat it was somewhere around 3.5k IIRC

At around ~2.4k BV dps/tps drops great deal, and the "hard" cap is ~3.2k, after that you gain no dps/tps from it.

(c)theckhd

No question remains unanswered. No doubts linger. You are Azeroth's greatest champions!
Metherlance

Postby lythac » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:10 am

Jirroll wrote:Got something to ask you about, hope you don't mind. I have a friend who thinks he knows for certain that Block Value is still useful and viable for current end game raid tanking.

There is some room for confusion here.

Block Value is still useful for end game raiding, a 1.5k block off of a 30k hit is a 5% reduction in damage. So yes BV is useful.

Gearing for BV for current end game raiding is not a viable gearing method.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby hoho » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:13 am

lythac wrote:Gearing for BV for current end game raiding is not a viable gearing method.
... mostly because all decent BV gear is from lower tiers and has a LOT lower stats than high-end stuff without BV on it. If there was decent stuff with BV on it I'm sure it would get used, perhaps even more than items with +hit on them
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby lythac » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:20 am

Agreed, higher ilvl gear with the same sta/armor that we have available that trade a threat stat for BV would be a good item.

There's a new thread somewhere that talks about +hit as a defensive stat as Vindication can miss.
lythac

Postby Metherlance » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:25 am

lythac wrote:Agreed, higher ilvl gear with the same sta/armor that we have available that trade a threat stat for BV would be a good item.

"I'm talking about a set where you have 3000+ BV but of course your HPs take quite a hit." as OP stated. No need to take things off rail with things that ain't in the game. :wink:

Metherlance

Postby lythac » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:27 am

Well, such an item exists with librams.

OP is talking about high BV sets, OPs friends is talking about BV being useful so its on topic.
lythac

Postby Metherlance » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:07 am

lythac wrote:Well, such an item exists with librams.

OP is talking about high BV sets, OPs friends is talking about BV being useful so its on topic.

Oh right. My bad, gotta do some work or something here aswell so didn't read with max focus it seems. :)

I guess if they itemized BV gear with 264ilvl++ they would get too op, not necessarily for ICC but you could probably solo some lower 80lvl tier raids and such.

Metherlance

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations