Remove Advertisements

MH weapon selection

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

MH weapon selection

Postby gatorfan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:46 am

So I was contemplating MH weapon choices as a tankadin and was having a fit of creativity....very dangerous I know. I had picked up a Frost Needle in our ICC 10 a week ago and decided to play with it on a training dummy with mixed results. Sure the abilities that are SP based like Cons and Judging went way up but the ones based on weapon dmg like HoR went way down, net about the same DPS.

But it's the next thought that really intrigues me given the way the dmg mechanics work for a Tankadin in WotLK. I don't have any of these weapons to test it out nor do I have a spreadsheet worked up to try to model it either and hence my coming here. Given that we have gobs of the basic tanking stats of +def, dodge, and parry on our other gear with the MH weapon making a small contribution to the whole. My thought then is what would be the result of taking a nice slow, 2.6 to 2.7 speed MH sword or mace that a rogue would typically use for example, and use it as a tanking weapon? Take Gutbuster off of Fester10 for example, what would it to a tankadins dmg and threat?
gatorfan

Re: MH weapon selection

Postby ulushnar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:57 am

You'd get nothing from the weapon speed except a slightly higher amount of white damage/swing (and a slower swing rate), and maybe a slightly higher damage amount from SoV/SoComm hits (but again, the slower swing rate would mean you'd see less). HotR wouldn't be affected because it's based on weapon DPS, not weapon damage. You might see a small increase in threat from the DPS stats on the weapon, but you'd lose a small amount of survivability.

Do you actually need the threat?
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Re: MH weapon selection

Postby theckhd » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:03 am

Already been worked out here. Slow DPS weapons give you a noticeable threat/dps boost (roughly 300-400 TPS). Spell damage weapons fall behind a normal tank weapon of equivalent ilvl.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations