Enchanting V Engineering

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Enchanting V Engineering

Postby Kelaan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:26 am

Rocket boots are the skill that I wish every single one of my alts had. Bear tankin? Wish I had boots. I know I have charge (now), still want boots. DK? Wish I had boots.

Numerically, all the other stuff are probably better for tanking (though Eng is verra nice for my dps offspec!), but this is something that I am reminded of every time I have an opportunity to use them, and can't.
Kelaan

Postby Ardrhyst » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:42 am

It all boils down to...

WTB +Stamina nitro boosts. :(
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:45 am

ROKIT BOOTZ (tm) TO THE RESCUE.... because paladins aren't SUPPOSED To have an intercept. :x
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:24 am

Njall wrote:ROKIT BOOTZ (tm) TO THE RESCUE.... because paladins aren't SUPPOSED To have an intercept. :x

Warriors should have charge, paladins should have intercept.

Also, I ended up dumping BS for Eng yesterday. This late in the content cycle I don't need any of the BS patterns anymore, and as I'm pretty much going full armor most fights, I might as well exchange the +42 stam from BS to +645 armor.

It amuses me that in my full armor set I have only 1,500 more armor than hitpoints.

Also rocket boots.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:27 am

fuzzygeek wrote:
Njall wrote:ROKIT BOOTZ (tm) TO THE RESCUE.... because paladins aren't SUPPOSED To have an intercept. :x

Warriors should have charge, paladins should have intercept.

Also, I ended up dumping BS for Eng yesterday. This late in the content cycle I don't need any of the BS patterns anymore, and as I'm pretty much going full armor most fights, I might as well exchange the +42 stam from BS to +645 armor.

It amuses me that in my full armor set I have only 1,500 more armor than hitpoints.

60 stamina.

Also, it's mind-blowing that you have more armor than HP, let alone "only" 1500 more. I didn't realize that was possible with WotLK armor values.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 am

Rocket Boots are the only ability provided by any trade skill where you can SEE an effect where you think:

That just prevented a wipe!

Something like half our guild is Engineering because it combines pretty decent buffs with the semi-godly utility of boots. Hugely better than 22 stam, IMO. All my boots are rocket boots. I dropped Engineering for Blacksmithing, then got sick of no boots and relevelled the entire skill again, jut to get my charge back.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:50 am

Meloree wrote:60 stamina.

Also, it's mind-blowing that you have more armor than HP, let alone "only" 1500 more. I didn't realize that was possible with WotLK armor values.

whups,60. also typed that backwards -- 1500 more hp than armor. although that may be slightly different now, after picking up a bunch of gear last night.

edit: got curious. In full armor set I'm 42,259 HP 41,484 AC with imp devo aura.
If fricking 10m bracers would drop I'd be at over 42,198 AC. Eee.

I wore this set a few times in h.ICC25 this week, where we went 8/12 in two days, our first week doing heroic 25 (we're assuming we won't have a viable raid on Easter). Kind of silly.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby mazater » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:39 am

Dropped my JC for Engineering about a month ago.

I'm lovin' it.
mazater

Postby cypher » Sun May 23, 2010 3:15 am

I actually ran the numbers on this through Theck's "Total EH" formula earlier this week and, assuming that my spreadsheet is correct, I found that with my current gear, full raid buffs, a stoneblood flask, and the current (15%) iteration of the ICC zone-wide buff, the engineering armor enchant grants more total effective health than the 78 stamina gained from other alternatives (e.g., two +30 stam to rings and the +18 stam glove patch) so long as you're not taking more than 29.3% magic damage in the encounter -- beyond this cut-off point, stamina becomes the better choice, "Total EH"-wise.

This, of course, is based on the assumption that your incoming damage stream is relatively steady; a wise tank should still gear for "burst" phases.
cypher

Postby sfrog » Sun May 23, 2010 4:28 pm

My tanking Alts are all engineer, plus my Mage. My Paladin would likely be an Engineer as well if I didn't have over 90% of all the available BS patterns. I just make too much money crafting rare patterns for for people right now.
Without Honor...there is no Hope.
sfrog

Postby Torquemada » Fri May 28, 2010 1:41 am

My warlock just hit 80 today, and I'm liking the tinkers quite a bit.

As I posted previously, I've been strongly considering going back to Mining(Dropping BS) for Cat, since it'll allow me to level up JC without having to set ore to Torque from my alts. Having said that, though, I've got a max level miner on my DK, my Mage, and my Lock. I just started a Priest(I level toons when I get bored) that's a Tailor/Miner, and I'm starting to consider saving up all his ore to level Engineering on the ol' Pally. Just can't decide.
Torquemada

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations