Enchanting V Engineering

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Enchanting V Engineering

Postby Chicken » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:32 pm

Holyblaze wrote:
Kelaan wrote:
Melathys wrote:why would you use rocket boots for tanking?
but yea, I <3 my 880 armor to gloves.

- Mailbox access + bank access. This is less useful if you have a fully tricked out argent squire. (Why should I bother? I'm an engineer!)

What is that?!?!? Squire that can do that? How can I get one?!?!?!
Argent Pony Bridle can do that for you. Does cost 150 champion's seals and requires you to be exalted with the Argent Crusade, as well as as an exalted champion of all five of your factions races.

Does have a pretty long (four hour?) cooldown though, and you can only pick one out of either a vendor, mailbox or bank in that time.
Chicken

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Lack of simple water on all the summonable vendors is a travesty. A TRAVESTY I TELL YOU.

I leveled engineering on my bear last night. It's amazing. My paladin is jc/bs and I am giving very, very, very serious thought to dumping BS for it, just for the fun and utility factor.

My paladin has gone from ench/eng (TBC launch) to ench/bs (very late TBC) to jc/bs (since early WotLK). I'd wager in about three days she'll be jc/eng.

It's a shame there aren't more options for the rocket boots other that straight-up crit.

But I would definitely dump ench over jc -- jc is really very flexible (one of my sets wears a lot of str gems, for instance).
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Firann » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:36 am

Would anyone consider dropping JC for Engi? I had Mining / JC up until 2 days ago, but i'm learning mining on my alt and boosting BS up (currently at 206). I was thinking of switching from JC to Engi, the only thing holding me back is that i have most of the tanking patterns on JC...
Firann

Postby Boyfriend » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:49 am

Firann wrote:Would anyone consider dropping JC for Engi? I had Mining / JC up until 2 days ago, but i'm learning mining on my alt and boosting BS up (currently at 206). I was thinking of switching from JC to Engi, the only thing holding me back is that i have most of the tanking patterns on JC...

Have you considered dropping BS for it? I know it makes the levelling to 206 wasted, but that's less than the 450 you have in JC and the patterns.
I'm only keeping BS for reforging in cataclysm, otherwise I'd drop it at the tip of a hat. Engineering really is very good right now.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Firann » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:53 am

Boyfriend wrote:
Firann wrote:Would anyone consider dropping JC for Engi? I had Mining / JC up until 2 days ago, but i'm learning mining on my alt and boosting BS up (currently at 206). I was thinking of switching from JC to Engi, the only thing holding me back is that i have most of the tanking patterns on JC...

Have you considered dropping BS for it? I know it makes the levelling to 206 wasted, but that's less than the 450 you have in JC and the patterns.
I'm only keeping BS for reforging in cataclysm, otherwise I'd drop it at the tip of a hat. Engineering really is very good right now.

TBH thats why i was learning BS in the first place. More to do with Cataclysm rather than the 2 extra JC slots. I have considered stoping BS (i only septn 6 hours tops on it since i am learning mining on my DK anyway) but its mainly the cata reforging that i wanted BS.

JC tbh i don't use it to make money. Its just there as quality of life to my my own gems.
Firann

Postby Njall » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:43 am

Having a JC in the 'family' makes things a lot easier as I have most of the cuts I need for my characters. And when I have excess, I cut and sell the epics. It has been quietly profitable without going in for a lot of extertion. Prospecting the smeg out of a few stacks of Saronite is about the most I'll do. :D

But I love me some engineering.

And Lil'Smoky and Pet Bombling just became BoE pets as of today's patch. I've got enough mats for about 20 of the little bastards.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Torquemada » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:32 am

I've actually strongly considered dumping BS for Mining for Cat, since I'll need it to skill up my JC when the expansion launches. Plus, if Wrath was any indication, ore is going to sell for a metric crapton on the AH the first couple weeks.
Torquemada

Postby Chicken » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:34 am

Torquemada wrote:I've actually strongly considered dumping BS for Mining for Cat, since I'll need it to skill up my JC when the expansion launches. Plus, if Wrath was any indication, ore is going to sell for a metric crapton on the AH the first couple weeks.
I've always just kept mining for that simple reason, was considering swapping it to a profession more useful for my secondary spec, but I just kept it since I use my second spec once in a blue moon.
Chicken

Postby bentglasstube » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:56 am

Chicken wrote:I've always just kept mining for that simple reason, was considering swapping it to a profession more useful for my secondary spec, but I just kept it since I use my second spec once in a blue moon.

I'm in the same boat regarding secondary spec. I don't ever heal because frankly I'm bad at it. The nice thing about mining is that you don't ever have to buy more gems/mats/whatever to get the profession bonus.
bentglasstube

Postby cds4850 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:47 am

I just can't get away from the universal benefit of added stamina from blacksmithing, enchanting, and jewelcrafting. Additional armor falls short on magic heavy encounters (Valks, Mimiron, Thorim, Sartharion, Malygos, Ruby Sanctum?) and is so prevelent on endgame tier and offset pieces that I can't justify picking up engineering for it.

That being said, my shadow priest is LOVING the 1min cooldown glove haste proc, spellpower cloak enchant, and crit strike boot tinker.
cds4850

Postby Boyfriend » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:33 am

Nitro boots look to be amazing fun too though. It feels more like 'the' dps profession atm with saronite bombs, nitro boost, haste enchant.

Too bad the battle chicken got hotfixed and the 15% haste does not stack with WF anymore.
Boyfriend
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:13 am

Boyfriend wrote:Nitro boots look to be amazing fun too though. It feels more like 'the' dps profession atm with saronite bombs, nitro boost, haste enchant.

Too bad the battle chicken got hotfixed and the 15% haste does not stack with WF anymore.

That and it's actually the 'anti-gather bitch' profession. You get so many tools to help you that you hardly notice that you only have one gather skill. :D

Still, the Battle-chicken is L90!

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:44 am

Boyfriend wrote:Nitro boots look to be amazing fun too though.

They are actually quite functional for most raiders. Main tanks may not find as much use out of them, however a lot of our best raiders use them for the "dont stand in this" or collapse on that moments...
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:45 am

Wrathy wrote:

They are actually quite functional for most raiders. Main tanks may not find as much use out of them, however a lot of our best raiders use them for the "dont stand in this" or collapse on that moments...

I may switch to them myself for my raiding gear for the utility - my heroic set uses them already.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:48 am

Wrathy wrote:

On our first Rotface kill our engineering hunter was injected while the big ooze was being kited through the middle of a slime pipe just starting to slime the area. The hunter hit his nitro boots rockets right in front of the big ooze merging the small ooze to it and turning himself around back to where he started from all before the slime puddle formed.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations