Remove Advertisements

Blade Ward vs. Mongoose

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Blade Ward vs. Mongoose

Postby Harmacy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:40 am

I understand that Mongoose is superior for AoE tanking (because the buff is not consumed), and that it is also wayyyy better for threat (for obvious reasons). My question is, which is superior for single-target avoidance? Is that Blade Ward's niche, or is it inferior to Mongoose in every possible way?

(I apologize if this has been asked and answered a million times)
Harmacy

Re: Blade Ward vs. Mongoose

Postby Alandrek » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:39 am

Unless Blade Ward gets buffed or Mongoose gets nerfed, there's no reason for a Prot Paladin to use Blade Ward over Mongoose.
Alandrek

Postby Elsie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Alandrek wrote:Unless Blade Ward gets buffed or Mongoose gets nerfed, there's no reason for a Prot Paladin to use Blade Ward over Mongoose.

They were both nerfed with the proc rate changes.
Elsie

Postby Alandrek » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:09 pm

Elsie wrote:They were both nerfed with the proc rate changes.

Which had no impact on their relative value - Mongoose is still better than Blade Ward.

However, Mongoose did lose several places as a TPS enchant due to the proc nerf.
Alandrek

Postby Elsie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Alandrek wrote:
Elsie wrote:They were both nerfed with the proc rate changes.

Which had no impact on their relative value - Mongoose is still better than Blade Ward.

However, Mongoose did lose several places as a TPS enchant due to the proc nerf.

Well, I wouldn't say no impact. There is the relative uptime given duration (e.g. likelihood for buff to last to next proc given buff duration). That said, Mongoose is still better I believe, since the aforementioned problem would only really work against Blade Ward.

Particularly, Blade Ward actually scales inversely in uptime as your gear improves as you're more likely to parry. They both are affected somehow by diminishing returns with gear improvements for avoidance, but mongoose does not have the removal-on-parry condition and the armor/crit gained have no DR.
Elsie

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations