Remove Advertisements

Armor vs HP Math Help

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Armor vs HP Math Help

Postby Jasari » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Hamlet wrote:
Koatanga wrote:And since we're playing the logical fallacy of taking things to extremes, let's go the other way: You have a trinket that gives you 10 trillion armour, but reduces your health to 1 point. Would you take it?

In the absence of magical damage, yes. Not only would you never die, but you wouldn't even need heals.

*cough* armor cap *cough*
Jasari

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Hamlet wrote:
Koatanga wrote:And since we're playing the logical fallacy of taking things to extremes, let's go the other way: You have a trinket that gives you 10 trillion armour, but reduces your health to 1 point. Would you take it?

In the absence of magical damage, yes. Not only would you never die, but you wouldn't even need heals.

Except armour caps at 75% damage reduction, so you're dead after the first hit.

See, this is the kind of thing that demonstrates a lack of fundamental knowledge of game mechanics, and why we don't just put all stock in everyone who turns up with ideas and no maths to back them up.

If you want us to believe you, show your work, so that we can examine it for any fundamental flaws or assumptions that render it invalid.
Last edited by Koatanga on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby theckhd » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:59 pm

TheRenaissanceMan wrote:The whole new EH deal is kinda cool numbers wise, but it does suffer from one major flaw. It's percentages are inflated by the fact that a large percentage of the damage that the tank takes over the course of the fight is trivial.

What are important are tank death events. The choke point of a fight where tank death is a real concern, and a probable cause for a wipe at that stage of the fight. For me the most obvious example is Mimiron. While Mimiron's melee damage is a substantial portion of the damage taken on the fight, only a fool would stack avoidance or armor for this encounter, because the 2 tank death events are built almost exclusively around magic damage. Those being the Plasma Blast in phase 1, and a plasma ball, hand pulse, mine combo in phase 4.

So simply looking at overall percentages won't give the most accurate picture of your survivability for the encounter. Sure, it's more effective than the original "armor and stam are constant as Polaris" view of EH, but it's still somewhat misleading.

As others have mentioned, your insight is correct. But that's not a problem with the formula, it's a case of using it incorrectly. What matters is the breakdown of the damage during the burst even you're trying to survive. We determined pretty early on in that thread that using overall breakdowns for an entire fight would give you erroneous results.

TheRenaissanceMan wrote:To get a mathematically relevant formula to account for that, you'd need to compile logs, by encounter, based on wipes due to tank death. Once you've located the tank death events, and there might be multiple during the fight, you'll need to compile the percentage damage taken between the last significant heal taken and tank death. Once you've got that information, you can plug in our EH2 formulas, which would give you a much tighter shot group in terms of what gearing philosophy you need to survive the portions of the fight that actually matter.

Of course, that's a lot more work than I'm willing to do, or expect anyone else to do.

Again, right on the money. It may be a lot of work, but that's exactly what what the community is working on. Looking at our own death logs, or the death logs of others, and trying to figure out approximate values for those burst breakdowns.

If you look near the end of the TEH thread, the author of TankTotals posted that he's incorporated it into his addon. So when you die, it will calculate how much damage you took from each source type between the last time you were at full health and death, and calculate the percentage ratios for you dynamically.

Practically though, you don't need exact values. Knowing within +/-5% or so is probably enough to make wise choices. If you know it's between 45% and 55%, then you know it's a burst where armor isn't going to perform as well. If it's less than 10%, armor is perfectly fine.

And again, we're talking about equivalent amounts of itemization here. If your damage is 100% physical burst, and you have the option to choose between an armor trinket and a stamina trinket, both of which give you identical EH, then the armor trinket is the obvious choice. If blizzard itemized armor trinkets this way, we'd actually have some really interesting choices to make when looking to boost our EH. But when the armor trinket lags the stamina trinket even for full physical burst there's just no contest, sadly.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Hamlet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Koatanga wrote:Except armour caps at 75% damage reduction, so you're dead after the first hit.

Ugh, yes obviously I know about the armor cap. :eyeroll: I made the mistake of assuming that your question was intended to have more a point than it actually was, and wasn't just a silly one-liner. I won't make that mistake again.
Hamlet

Postby JamesVZ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:16 pm

theckhd wrote:Counter-example:

This was actually a wipe already. We went into phase 3 with a green volatile ooze up (edit: and it actually targeted me, I had forgotten about that) and a tank healer down. Had I stacked for "effective health" or not, the damage listed there is more than you can take by a simple trinket swap. I was also a baddie and forgot to pop my indestructible potion.

Sorry. Better luck next time. You're really not going to find any wipes that were my fault.

EDIT: It's also important to note here that had I obtained the Corroded Skeleton Key for the ELITE 36 stamina upgrade, I would be without another piece of my +armor gear. All traded out to account for the ever fearsome 600 random magic damage that I took.
JamesVZ

Postby Meloree » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Hamlet wrote:I feel like coming up with the model to explain more is what this forum should have been up to the whole time, even if it's messy. Trying into get into it in detail will quickly take me outside my area of expertise. But I find this constant repetition of the "3 second tank death" to be a decent starting point (against, nestled amidst a variety of conflicting assumptions and scenarios like the "magic damage" section of the big EH post I discussed above). A lot happens in 3 seconds. In a tank-threatening situation, a Rejuvenation tick and 3 Lifebloom ticks (possibly x2 Trees) might be typical. An Earth Shield tick, a Prayer of Mending. In a 3-second period, at least one Holy Light, potentially a Swiftmend or a PW:S. It goes on. A Living Seed, a Val'anyr shield. At Festergut hardmode, you'll probably literally have 100% cooldown coverage of the whole danger period. And yet, the consistent response of people here is to throw up their hands and say "we can't model it."

Well, I'm not a math guy, but that's at least somewhat quantifiable. They key is worth 2800 hp. The burst needs to be big enough that 1792 armor mitigates at least 2800hp worth of damage. With my current stats, that's roughly 330k raw damage, or about 89000 mitigated damage, or about 1.4x my total healthpool. Thats pretty close to what I came up with analytically, using 11:1 as the armor:stam valuation. So, it makes a convenient starting point to say that for pure survival, in pure physical situations, so long as the burst in question is less than 1.4x your total healthpool, the key is the better choice for surviving, and when it's more, you're better with armor. That only really applies in the ballpark of the 11:1 ratio being valid, which it evidently is for me, but I don't know how wide that range is.

Assuming a 3-second window, in current content exactly nothing hits that hard, not even 3-inhale Festergut. But that kind of analysis certainly does put armor into a better light. Is there something else I missed that would make it still more attractive for survival purposes?

EDIT: The last real tank-killing boss that I can think of was Algalon. His burst basically consisted of MH/OH/Exploding Star, and as a paladin with guaranteed blocks, that hit me for roughly 47k. That was while using Saronite plated legguards, Leviathan's Coil, and the armor neck from Naxx. If I had less than that, I was basically guaranteed to get pasted at some point. In order to reach that in pure Ulduar gear, that pretty much meant stamina in every socket, and a pair of stamina trinkets. Defender's Code would have left me fine-red-misted on a regular basis, no matter how good it might have been for mitigating damage. I may or may not be guilty of preparing for the last war, but as a point of preparation for hardmodes, one thing I really want to make sure of is that I'm not vulnerable to any 0-second events. 3 second strings scare me less. 15 second strings scare me even less than that. That may well be a mistake, but as far as I can tell it's the safer mistake.
Last edited by Meloree on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:21 pm

JamesVZ wrote:This was actually a wipe already. We went into phase 3 with a green volatile ooze up (edit: and it actually targeted me, I had forgotten about that) and a tank healer down. Had I stacked for "effective health" or not, the damage listed there is more than you can take by a simple trinket swap. I was also a baddie and forgot to pop my indestructible potion.

Sorry. Better luck next time. You're really not going to find any wipes that were my fault.

Yeah, it probably would have been a wipe anyway in that situation. So the blame for the wipe can't be put on yoru shoulders. But it still refutes your claim that bosses can't kill you in 3 seconds. In at least one of those parses, both of your tank healers were alive. You still have not addressed this point, which undermines a critical part of your assertions.

JamesVZ wrote:EDIT: It's also important to note here that had I obtained the Corroded Skeleton Key for the ELITE 36 stamina upgrade, I would be without another piece of my +armor gear. All traded out to account for the ever fearsome 600 random magic damage that I took.

Your gearing situation is also different than mine. I do not have a 258 Satrina trinket. So for me, the key was a 100 stamina upgrade. And my gearing path is frankly pretty irrelevant to this discussion anyway, since at no point have I advocated that anyone buy the trinket before the chest.

But if you really want to discuss it, I will. You'll actually note that my first purchase was the belt. I bought the trinket next for a variety of reasons, but I'll admit it wasn't as large an EH jump as the Cat chest. It was the biggest stamina upgrade though, and it was something I could afford early while still keeping 95 emblems around to utilize a token drop to pick up a T10 head. It also replaced my oldest piece, the Heart of Iron, a trinket that I've long since tired of looking at.

I've outlined my gear plan for normal modes elsewhere already - I'm already at the EH threshold I need to clear the current bosses, so I'm picking up pieces here and there to replace the oldest, weakest components of my gear, all while banking 95 badges so I can grab the 2-piece for more damage and threat once we see more Conqueror tokens. I'll have the Cat chest in a week anyway, and I'll have the gloves shortly thereafter, along with my 2-piece and the trinket. All before hard mode content is available.

But none of that really has anything to do with the question of whether EH gearing is smart, and whether a given stamina trinket has more or less EH than a given armor trinket. You're deliberately bringing these points up to sidestep the fact that you don't have anything to back up your baseless assertions about how tanks die and how they should gear.

In short, you're trolling. And I'm done feeding you until you manage to spit up something other than bile and dreck. Good night.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby JamesVZ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:42 pm

The question is, what do you want me to bring up? You vastly undervalue armor in your effective health calculations, and fail to take into account real world scenarios with it. This is what I've said from the beginning time and time again, and short of programming an entire simulation with varying boss damage, there's nothing I can do to refute your math because it's basically just simplified bullshit. There is a reason that every veteran warrior I know is stacking armor, and it's not because they failed to take into account your 5 year old kiddie equation.

Maybe that was a little harsh. But you need to realize that your number is just a number. It represents nothing in game, and is actually damaging if you gear yourself around it. To quote a now two year old post, in practical use, armor is king. It's a maxim that has been drilled into our heads since basically the dawn of tanking in RPGs. You bring up these iffy scenarios of DANGEROUS magic damage and fail to take into account basic combat mechanics in the process. The burden is not on me to prove you wrong. The burden is on you to actually apply your math to real world scenarios and make it something that's actually fucking useful.
JamesVZ

Postby Spamdrew » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:53 pm

JamesVZ wrote:The question is, what do you want me to bring up? You vastly undervalue armor in your effective health calculations, and fail to take into account real world scenarios with it. This is what I've said from the beginning time and time again, and short of programming an entire simulation with varying boss damage, there's nothing I can do to refute your math because it's basically just simplified bullshit. There is a reason that every veteran warrior I know is stacking armor, and it's not because they failed to take into account your 5 year old kiddie equation.

Maybe that was a little harsh. But you need to realize that your number is just a number. It represents nothing in game, and is actually damaging if you gear yourself around it. To quote a now two year old post, in practical use, armor is king. It's a maxim that has been drilled into our heads since basically the dawn of tanking in RPGs. You bring up these iffy scenarios of DANGEROUS magic damage and fail to take into account basic combat mechanics in the process. The burden is not on me to prove you wrong. The burden is on you to actually apply your math to real world scenarios and make it something that's actually fucking useful.

Ok lets put your suggestion into practice. How much armour is a point of stam worth? It is a simple question that has been asked several times of you but you have not given an answer. Theck and co say that a point of stam is worth between 11-12 points of armour on a fight where most of the damage is physical. They have explained how they balance the two stats now it is your turn.
Spamdrew

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:57 pm

JamesVZ wrote:The question is, what do you want me to bring up? You vastly undervalue armor in your effective health calculations, and fail to take into account real world scenarios with it. This is what I've said from the beginning time and time again, and short of programming an entire simulation with varying boss damage, there's nothing I can do to refute your math because it's basically just simplified bullshit. There is a reason that every veteran warrior I know is stacking armor, and it's not because they failed to take into account your 5 year old kiddie equation.

There's no failure to take into account real world anything. He used your own log which shows the type of damage not only happens but also causes wipes. He hasn't bothered with magic damage at all, because he hasn't needed to. There's no iffy scenario here, the type of damage we are talking about has killed you twice.

Further, my patience with you has run out. Fix your tone when you next post, or don't post at all.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby JamesVZ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:04 pm

Wait, there's a second log? I gotta see this.

EDIT: Ahh there it is. Wipe #3 was also an ooze (orange this time) in phase 3.
JamesVZ

Postby Aedh » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 pm

JamesVZ wrote:You vastly undervalue armor in your effective health calculations

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... ic#p535133
theckhd wrote:Trinkets:
-I would get the 245 armor badge trinket. Roughly the same EH as a brewfest trinket, but gives you a good on-use ability. And it's cheap since it's Triumph badges. You can always swap the brewfest trinket in if there's a magic damage fight to consider.
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Whatever happened to Quebec seceding? If they do that, can we invade? America could really use the revenue from exporting syrup and hockey players.
Aedh

Postby Eminai » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:33 pm

I feel dirty.

[20:10:39.356] Ellienet Nourish Theck +1030 (O: 5188)
[20:10:39.438] Theck Judgement of Light Justhunter +0 (O: 568)
[20:10:39.438] Theck Consecration Festergut 562
[20:10:39.777] Festergut hits Theck 39430 (A: 825)
[20:10:39.777] Ellienet Regrowth Theck +0 (O: 1426)
[20:10:39.796] Theck Seal of Vengeance Festergut 365 (R: 36)
[20:10:39.796] Theck Judgement of Light Sessjitsu +0 (O: 591)
[20:10:39.796] Theck Judgement of Light Souldestroy +0 (O: 596)
[20:10:39.796] Theck Judgement of Light Manlyknight +0 (O: 706)
[20:10:39.842] Theck Judgement of Light Goldenn +0 (O: 530)
[20:10:39.905] Theck Judgement of Light Teshra +0 (O: 549)
[20:10:39.924] Theck hits Festergut 570
[20:10:40.011] Celwe Wild Growth Theck +972
[20:10:40.011] Theck Hammer of the Righteous Festergut 3639
[20:10:40.216] Healing Stream Totem IX Healing Stream Totem Theck +251
[20:10:40.216] Theck Judgement of Light Rotcaller +0 (O: 705)
[20:10:40.230] Theck Retribution Aura Festergut 248
[20:10:40.230] Theck Thorns Festergut 109
[20:10:40.230] Theck Judgement of Light Kal'doom +0 (O: 485)
[20:10:40.230] Theck Seal of Vengeance Festergut 355 (R: 79)
[20:10:40.246] Murse Flash Heal Theck +6110
[20:10:40.246] Theck Judgement of Light Woodfello +0 (O: 572)
[20:10:40.246] Theck Seal of Vengeance Festergut 382 (R: 38)
[20:10:40.511] Theck Consecration Festergut 505 (R: 50)
[20:10:40.573] Festergut hits Theck 23487 (O: 9350, B: 2003)
[20:10:40.615] Theck Judgement of Light Manlyknight +0 (O: 706)
[20:10:40.623] Theck Judgement of Light Souldestroy +0 (O: 596)
[20:10:40.623] Theck Judgement of Light Failguar +0 (O: 537)
[20:10:40.623] Theck Judgement of Light Failguar +0 (O: 536)
[20:10:40.623] Theck Judgement of Light Theck +1179
[20:10:40.639] Theck Judgement of Light Spektrum +0 (O: 773)
[20:10:40.639] Theck Judgement of Light Astrumsenior +0 (O: 640)
[20:10:40.639] Theck Judgement of Light Jeanii +0 (O: 555)
[20:10:40.651] Theck Judgement of Light Goldenn +0 (O: 530)
[20:10:40.651] Rawberry Holy Light Theck +13328
[20:10:40.747] Ellienet Rejuvenation Theck +2748
[20:10:40.747] Ellienet Lifebloom Theck +575
[20:10:41.447] Theck Judgement of Light Kal'doom +0 (O: 484)
[20:10:41.447] Theck Holy Shield Festergut 1208
[20:10:41.447] Theck Retribution Aura Festergut 279
[20:10:41.447] Theck Thorns Festergut 98
[20:10:41.571] Theck Judgement of Light Justhunter +0 (O: 569)
[20:10:41.717] Celwe Wild Growth Theck +934
[20:10:41.833] Murse Renew Theck +2311
[20:10:41.855] Theck hits Festergut 673
[20:10:41.869] Theck Judgement of Light Guilliman +0 (O: 715)
[20:10:41.981] Theck Judgement of Light Sarnoth +0 (O: 756)
[20:10:41.981] Theck Judgement of Light Souldestroy +0 (O: 596)
[20:10:41.981] Theck Judgement of Light Sessjitsu +0 (O: 592)
[20:10:42.337] Theck Judgement of Light Jeanii +0 (O: 554)
[20:10:42.370] Theck hits Festergut 653
[20:10:42.370] Theck Seal of Vengeance Festergut 393
[20:10:42.523] Theck Consecration Festergut 562
[20:10:42.523] Festergut hits Theck 14584 (O: 23510, B: 2003)
[20:10:42.539] Guilliman Divine Storm Theck +854
[20:10:42.558] Ellienet Glyph of Rejuvenation Theck +1374
[20:10:42.589] Theck Judgement of Light Failguar +0 (O: 537)
[20:10:42.589] Theck Judgement of Light Souldestroy +0 (O: 596)
[20:10:42.601] Theck Judgement of Light Rotcaller +0 (O: 705)
[20:10:42.666] Theck Seal of Vengeance Festergut 440
[20:10:42.666] Theck Judgement of Light DareDevil +0 (O: 488)
[20:10:42.666] Theck Judgement of Light Manlyknight +0 (O: 706)
[20:10:42.666] Theck Judgement of Light Woodfello +0 (O: 573)
[20:10:42.666] Theck Holy Shield Festergut Resist
[20:10:42.771] Theck Judgement of Light Woodfello +0 (O: 573)
[20:10:42.915] Theck dies
theckhd wrote:Philosophically speaking, wiping your raid is slightly less serious than handing a baby off to the wrong set of parents.
Eminai

Postby Hamlet » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Eminai wrote:[20:10:39.356] Ellienet Nourish Theck +1030 (O: 5188)

Cropped that so it's a bit less painful to read. I don't want to get into a huge log-reading operation myself, but this is as good as example as any. Looks like around 30,000 healing taken over the course of this typical "3-second death." (And are you sure you got everything? One Lifebloom tick in 3s is odd, at least). And it would have been upwards of 50,000 to actually survive it. Anyway, it's simply one nice example of a situation where the value of armor is around twice that of the plain EH computation.
Last edited by Hamlet on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hamlet

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:59 pm

Hamlet wrote:
Eminai wrote:[20:10:39.356] Ellienet Nourish Theck +1030 (O: 5188)

Cropped that so it's a bit less painful to read. Anyway, don't want to get into a huge log-reading operation myself, but this is as good as example as any. Looks like around 30,000 healing taken over the course of this typical "3-second death." And it would have been upwards of 50,000 to actually survive it. Anyway, it's simply one nice example of a situation where the value of armor is around twice that of the plain EH computation.

Heh, thanks I was just doing the same thing.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations