DR and the parry/dodge ratio

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

DR and the parry/dodge ratio

Postby Stricker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:05 pm

It's as if my mind is blank, I cannot remember what diminishing returns mean to us as tanks, and what it has to do with the parry/dodge ratio, whatever that is. I remember reading about it before, but I've completed forgotten what the deal is. Can anyone direct me to any relevant topics on this matter?

Regards,
Hopelessly confused dwarf
Delarge, Dwarfadin of Argent Dawn EU
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... &n=Delarge
Stricker

Re: DR and the parry/dodge ratio

Postby lythac » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:39 pm

The ratio is -

(character_sheet_dodge-10%)/(character_sheet_parry-10%) = 1.88

Diminishing Returns - Avoidance (Tankspot) wrote:Diminishing returns on avoidance do not work like diminishing returns on stuns! There's a common belief that if you avoid an attack, your chance to avoid subsequent attacks is reduced. This is not true - read on!

What are diminishing returns? One definition puts it this way: The principle that further inputs into a system produce ever lower increases in outputs. Basically, you get less avoidance for every point of rating than you got for the last one.

And a nice visual -

Theckhd wrote:As a first approximation, let's assume that we're starting with 689 defense from gear, and re-run the calculation for each additional point of rating:

Both of the linked posts have all the information you will ever want to know about DR. The Tankspot thread has a guide feel to it, which is unsurprising as its in the guide section.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations