How much strength do we need to stack now?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

How much strength do we need to stack now?

Postby Mandrollen » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:36 pm

I've been trying to follow the basic rule of 25 expertise and 6% hit rating. With strength being the new scale for spell power threat (righteous fury @ 80%) how much strength should we be now stacking?

I've completely changed out my gems now, but I had until recently socketed agility/stam gems for all my red slots...was good for dodge, threat (dps) and armour mitigation.

Anyway, I've gone back to old school staking dodge/stam and now strength/stam.

Sorry if this is already answered but searching "strength" and "3.2.2" didn't quite work for me.

Thanks!

My profile:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Mandrollen

By the way, I really want to go back and replace my back enchant with armour and replace the dodge/stam with agility/stam again.
Mandrollen

Re: How much strength do we need to stack now?

Postby Halnoth » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:27 am

Strength was already our best tps stat.

To the question though... there isn't a minimum. You need to tune it to your situation. Are you having threat problems? If you are then maybe a couple str gems will help. If not then don't bother.

I doubt that any threat problems would be related to lack of str anyway. Tank gear has enough on it that you shouldn't have any trouble unless you are already undergeared in comparison to your raid. More than likely threat issues at this point would be related to a problem with your rotation.

For instance, I do almost nothing but stack EH when gemming and enchanting with a couple exceptions in the ench department and I have no threat issues, none and really never have.
Halnoth

Postby Mandrollen » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:41 am

Great! Thank you that's very helpful.

Also nice to see that you have agility/stam gems and the 10 Stat enchant to chest as well. I always get criticized when I enchant/gem that >.<

Yes I have taken a noticeable hit on threat but since gemming strength I haven't noticed too serious of issues. My rotation was and is still the same so I should be okay there.

So I'll just keep fine-tuning my gear until I get where I want to be.

Thanks
Mandrollen

Postby Halnoth » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Mandrollen wrote:Great! Thank you that's very helpful.

Also nice to see that you have agility/stam gems and the 10 Stat enchant to chest as well. I always get criticized when I enchant/gem that >.<

Yes I have taken a noticeable hit on threat but since gemming strength I haven't noticed too serious of issues. My rotation was and is still the same so I should be okay there.

So I'll just keep fine-tuning my gear until I get where I want to be.

Thanks

Ya I like the agi/sta gems but I only have one atm to activate the meta. I used to use them in every red socket though. 10 stats to chest is great imo. Your other options are defense and straight health, so I took the small straight health hit to get 10 agi and 10 stregth which seemed worth while to me.
Halnoth

Postby repent » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:44 am

Nobody should every criticize you for gemming red slots with agility stamina gems. Agility/stamina is the preferred (by most tanks) gem to pick up a red slot bonus. It offers almost as much dodge as dodge gems, armor, and some crit.

As to gemming for strength, hit, or + 10 stats to chest, that is a matter of opinion. Everyone does things differently. However, to the extent that people reading this thread and looking for opinions on the topic, I don't think Strength/Stamina gems have any place outside of a pure threat set. Although strength can increase block, using strength gems in your boss tanking set makes absolutely no sense to me. Outside of certain gimmicky fights, you should not require strength gems in your gear at all.

As to the hit/expertise "rule", there really is no such rule. If there is such a rule, Blizzard made 3.2+ to make us poor tanks break that rule. Your hit will suffer as gear improves. Hit isn't our best threat stat, and we have a taunt glyph to address taunt issues if your hit isn't sufficiently high. (I personally have a higher hit set/BR/BV set for Anub HMs and the like) As to expertise, 26 may push dodges off the table for tanks, but parries go much higher. The defensive benefits of expertise have really no relationship to the bosses dodge. Expertise is good on most fights (all those that involve parry haste) at 13, or 26, or even 39 for that matter.

If I were a raid leader forming up a pug TOC 25, or a guild leader looking at our character sheet, I would think you might have a questionable rotation, poor mana management, and possible threat issues. If I were the former, I would still have you tank TOC 25, pallies are imba and your gear is more than sufficient for it. Nothing is glaringly wrong that would stop you from tanking that place. However, the other issues look like a real stumbling block for progression raiding.

Suggestions:
Look at your spec. Is 2 points in spiritual attunement really necessary? Are you having mana issues? Are you keeping up Divine Plea? Assuming you aren't having mana issues, switch 1 point out and free it up for the ret tree. Why go 5/5 for conviction and ignore Crusade? Instead, put 3 in conviction and 3 in crusade, and watch what that does for your threat. (Most endgame tanks actually put 1/5 in conviction and 2 in vindication for defensive purposes.) Next reexamine your rotation. Are you really following a 969 rotation? Have you watched the video? Is your UI interfering with your rotation response time? Can you cut some things out and add to your tps/dps? These are all things I would do before I resorted to threat gemming.
repent

Postby æ » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Mandrollen wrote:I've been trying to follow the basic rule of 25 expertise and 6% hit rating.

lolwat
10 SIN
20 GOTO HELL
æ

Postby Mandrollen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:09 pm

repent wrote:As to the hit/expertise "rule", there really is no such rule. If there is such a rule, Blizzard made 3.2+ to make us poor tanks break that rule
Mandrollen

Postby æ » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:15 pm

Ahh I see it.

Still lolwat worthy though. Telling you to gem hit? Take the hit you get and socket strength with 26 exp, unless you have a juicy socket bonus. Pulling 200 hit rating out of the air is a lil ridiculous.
10 SIN
20 GOTO HELL
æ

Postby Wrathy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:50 pm

It has been mentioned a few times already on this thread, but you have to understand that the idea of gemming for strength, hit, or expertise should only happen for a pure threat set. If you are only using one set, as you don't have the utility to swap all of your gear out, you should forsake hit and expertise in gemming.

It looks like your gearing, stats, and spec are very well rounded, and you shouldn't have any issues with threat. If you still do, you should check some parses to see your ability uses and maybe tweak your rotation a bit if it needs it.

EDIT: Just to clarify for ae, I have 262 hit and 29 expertise in my Threat set, along with 3700 ap and 17% crit and it did not require pulling 200 hit rating out of the air, it comes with proper gear selection.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations