Remove Advertisements

SoV Glyph: Necessary with T9?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

SoV Glyph: Necessary with T9?

Postby Torquemada » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:17 am

Looking at myself with raiding stats, I have with 34 Expertise skill with Seal of Corruption active in my current tanking gear.

Glyph of Divine Plea is a no-brainer, and I like the Judgement glyph for the modest threat/dps boost it gives.

I'm by no means in the best gear available, but as I continue to gear up I can only see my Expertise going up even higher. Does anyone find it a worthwhile use of the glyph to push for the Expertise parry hardcap with the glyph versus switching over to say the Righteous Defense glyph for ToC hard modes while you can maintain the softcap without it?

Just curious what better minds than I thinking about it.
Torquemada

Re: SoV Glyph: Necessary with T9?

Postby theckhd » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:47 am

SoV still gives you a larger threat boost than the Judgement glyph above the soft-cap. So it's not only stronger for threat, but also gives you effective avoidance on parry-hasting bosses. That makes it a no-brainer for the choice of threat glyph.

The one exception is if it would take you above the hard cap of 56 expertise, but that will be a relatively rare case, even with all the expertise on T9 gear.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Torquemada » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Ah. So now the question becomes whether it's worth it to swap out the Judgement and RD glyphs. I could see it with low +hit and not having the 2 pc. T9 bonus, but I'm not so sure.
Torquemada

Postby Snickersnee » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:47 am

theckhd wrote:SoV still gives you a larger threat boost than the Judgement glyph above the soft-cap. So it's not only stronger for threat, but also gives you effective avoidance on parry-hasting bosses. That makes it a no-brainer for the choice of threat glyph.

The one exception is if it would take you above the hard cap of 56 expertise, but that will be a relatively rare case, even with all the expertise on T9 gear.

But what if i am glyphing for Salvation is it worth taking out SoV for a extra cooldown?
Snickersnee

Postby Gamingdevil » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:10 am

You want to give up threat so you can drop more threat for a cooldown? :o

In my opinion, SoV glyph is good enough to be considered mandatory, so you'll have to pick between SoV, RD, HotR, Judgement and ShoR for your last slot.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Snickersnee » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:35 am

Gamingdevil wrote:You want to give up threat so you can drop more threat for a cooldown? :o

In my opinion, SoV glyph is good enough to be considered mandatory, so you'll have to pick between SoV, RD, HotR, Judgement and ShoR for your last slot.

the thing is i don't have a problem with threat at all. the only fight i do is Hodir HM and i just pop wings for that. you might be right it should be mandatory but i just wanted to see other peoples PoV on it. but if it is mandatory like you say i might just get rid of my Glyph HotR.
Snickersnee

Postby Argali » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:52 pm

Salv glyph gives an on demand cooldown. Especially in 10 mans, you might not have enough cooldowns to do a boss.

All my firefighter attempts used the salv glyph. AD wasn't implemented as a cooldown yet, so all I had was bubble wall, and a pain supression to use against 3 plasma blasts. Salv glyph + HS + fire pot worked.

So in short, don't diss it. Some people actually need to use it.
Argali

Postby Ard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:32 am

I'm using Divine Plea, Hammer of the Righteous and the expertise glyph at the moment, currently at 35 Expertise. I'm actually considering the Salvation glyph too, but it does require a considerable threat lead which I might not have in hardmodes (which is mainly what I'm considering this for)
Ard <Vision of Excellence> - The Venture Co. EU
Blogging at holysh---ock.blogspot.com
Wilfred Fizzlebang, Master Summoner!
Ard

Postby Meyrinn » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:07 am

I actually awap HoSalv glyph in for a few fights. NB, FC, and Anub(Heroic Mode). I use HoSalv when tank swaps on Gormok to alleviate some damage. I use it for FC when I've lost aggro and have no way to get it back, you'd be surprised how well you can hold aggro on threat alone. And on ANub, I usually have a good enough lead to use it for the burn phase then use my Divine Protection after its done. Its great that you can swap glyphs without being in town now.
Meyrinn

Postby Kyllier » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:41 pm

I believe this goes along with it, I personally have 40 Expertise (Buffed with SoV) would it be okay for me to drop the glyph and go with the Hand of Salvation glyph? Since isn't 25 expertise the cap? Thanks in advance.
Kyllier

Postby Thels » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Kyllier wrote:I believe this goes along with it, I personally have 40 Expertise (Buffed with SoV) would it be okay for me to drop the glyph and go with the Hand of Salvation glyph? Since isn't 25 expertise the cap? Thanks in advance.

The softcap is 26. The hardcap is 56.

Of course, if you're past the softcap, the effectiveness is halved. However, it's still a better threat glyph than the Judgement glyph, so you're better of with Divine Plea, Vengeance and Salvation. Of course, if you want utility like Hammer of the Righteous, then it's your own call. Do you want utility or more single target TPS.

I swapped the Glyph of Salvation out for Glyph of Judgement, since DPS is on my back on most fights nowadays. I can really feel the nerf to both our RF and our spellpower, and can't really find a lot of places to pop salvation on myself. Rather pop it on the DPS :)
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Dem » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:52 am

Sat at 41exp and 38 hit. Considering taunt glyph over Vengeance for survival spec and keep it in my second (threat) spec. Most fights in ToC need reliable tank pickups or swaps.

Salvation glyph is handy for those fights like Iron Council where you have a big threat lead because either people aren't hitting the boss for a while, or their dps is split onto adds that need burning too. I would keep it in any survival spec.

I wouldn't take Divine Plea out for anything.
Dem

Postby Iselian » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:09 pm

Dem wrote:Salvation glyph is handy for those fights like Iron Council where you have a big threat lead because either people aren't hitting the boss for a while, or their dps is split onto adds that need burning too. I would keep it in any survival spec.

I was an advocate for the Glyph of Salvation the moment I saw it for that reason alone and sometimes on fights where we were simply by and far ahead on threat. I'm thinking about dropping it for the taunt glyph because of TotC though. I'll skim through the bosses.

1) Beasts: Can be helpful on worms when the raid is focused on the other target. Not good for Icehowl and especially not for Gormok, where you're tank-swapping a lot (see: heroic) and dropping your threat below theirs could mean an impale on someone other than you.

2) Jaraxxus: I'm put on adds due to my snap-threat so they can nuke down asap (and holy wrath is nice for infernals). Salv might be good as the mob is dieing, rarely is the case. For tanks on Jaraxxus himself, I could certainly see it being used near the end, where you begin to pull more and more ahead as dps has spent time on adds (and you haven't).

3) Champions: Useful if you're in your prot spec. I run ret, so I can't comment

4) Twins: With no swapping, it can really be handy near the end. Unless you're like my raid, where I'm tanking the same target that the two high-dps destruction warlocks are tanking. (PS, please give them more than 10% threat reduction Blizz, please please?)

5) Anub: If you're on Anub it's a hard dps push and salv may not be good (though with a /cancelaura macro it could be nice timing over a frozen slash, a bit more skill than I have). If you're on adds, a gimmick block set wins out and salv shouldn't be necessary.

I really liked the idea of having to worry about 20% threat (not bad if paired with wings) but for a 20% damage reduction. It makes us think and I commended Blizzard for putting it in, even if for ret-pvp purposes. But TotC is not the raid for it, I think.
Iselian

Postby Nadir » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:35 pm

I used to be a big Salvation fan back in Ulduar. There just aren't any encounters like Freya and Steelbreaker where you can build up crazy threat leads. I tend to have my third slot occupied with Glyph of Holy Wrath because of Anub'arak, otherwise I would use Judgment.
Nadir

Postby sahiel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:40 pm

Iselian wrote:1) Beasts: Can be helpful on worms when the raid is focused on the other target. Not good for Icehowl and especially not for Gormok, where you're tank-swapping a lot (see: heroic) and dropping your threat below theirs could mean an impale on someone other than you.

Actually, i've been using it frequently on 25 heroic Beasts, as soon as the next tank taunts i'm popping it to help cut down on damage from the impale dot, there's such spike damage going on with the current MT anything I can do to make the healers job easier on me seems like a good idea.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations