Shoulder Enchants. EH vs Avoidance.

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Shoulder Enchants. EH vs Avoidance.

Postby Kaienn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Greater Inscription of the Pinnacle
vs
Greater Inscription of the Gladiator

I know EH is assumed "king" because it further increases the threshold of Ardent Defender, where AD is 5% EH per point invested.

My armory: Kaienny of Magtheridon-US

I am well over defense minimum, but my question is this.

Is the 300 health more beneficial to me from a survivability standpoint, then the 20 dodge and 15 stamina?

Also I have another question about Ardent Defender I haven't seem to be able to figure out... In the talent's tooltip, It states that the amount healed is based on defense. Is there any given value to this increase or what?

Thanks in advance!
Kaienn

Re: Shoulder Enchants. EH vs Avoidance.

Postby Soralin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:08 pm

I have been using the 30stam/15resil enchant for a while now, because I'm stacking max EH. I recommend you do the same if you're tanking progression content (the term progression differs from guild to guild - is relative to your raids average gearlevel, rather than the "newest" content)

The Ardent Defender heal heals for the maximum amount at 540. There is no additional scaling past this. When using the pvp shoulder enchant the "crit immunity" point is 537 defense - however I like to be above 540 anyway. With the amount of defense on TOTC gear this hasn't been a problem so far.

Just another point too - the Pinnacle enchant is 20 dodge/15 DEFENSE rating, not 15 stamina. It boils down to Avoidance vs EH, and if you're interested on reading a bit more you might like to check out this thread: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... =viewtopic
Soralin

Postby Kaienn » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Bah that was my mistake, i knew it was 15 defense rating :)

And thanks on the clarification on Ardent Defender.

So again this is exactly what I thought, a EH vs Avoidance issue.
Kaienn

Postby Ragingsoul » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:58 am

just on a side note, it's not 300 more health, it's
30*11.448= 343hp just with talents, and with kings, it's 378hp.
So yeah, in the end, it's just a EH enchant VS an avoidance one.

depending on gear and the progression of everyone, your choice will be different.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Postby baneoftruth » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:08 am

Based on discussions in other threads, it's been determined that "Stamina stacking and EH" is the winning ticket for ToC progression content. There are multiple high-damage attacks which you cannot avoid (knock-downs, stacking DoT's, stuns) where the only thing that will save you is a high health pool and armor.

That said, I'm one of my guild's main progression tanks, and I have yet to run into a situation where 375 more hp would have saved my life. I have, however, survived things like Gormok's stacking debuff through effective health and managing to avoid as many melee hits as possible. In the end, it's your choice to make. If you are going for full EH, you'll want to look at this thread, possibly even sooner than the post I linked.
baneoftruth

Postby Zothor » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:25 pm

baneoftruth wrote:That said, I'm one of my guild's main progression tanks, and I have yet to run into a situation where 375 more hp would have saved my life.

The "X more hp wouldn't have saved my life" argument is sort of beaten to death. No, most of the time, 375 more hp from the shoulder enchant won't save your life. But neither would 200something from a glove enchant, or 275 from a chest enchant, or 375 from any socket you're putting +30 stam in, etc. They all add up to save your life more than you can realistically notice on the fly.
Zothor

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations