Remove Advertisements

Benefits of Sanctuary on non-tanks.

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Benefits of Sanctuary on non-tanks.

Postby Racerover » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm currently on my iPhone and the search feature hates me. I was curious as to whether I'm pissing away symbols by buffing casters with this. It reduces incoming damage by 3%, but I believe priests "Renewed Hope" doesn't stack with it.

FYI, we tend to have at least 4 Paladins in raid.

Thanks all.

--Race
Racerover

Re: Benefits of Sanctuary on non-tanks.

Postby Jedah » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Currently (last time i checked, when 3.2 was pushed on live) the 3% DR from Sanc and the 3% DR from Renewed Hope do in fact stack.

This is also true with Stoneskin totem and Devotion Aura, which can more easily be tested by utilizing the paperdoll character sheet.
Jedah

Postby Racerover » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:53 pm

Jedah wrote:Currently (last time i checked, when 3.2 was pushed on live) the 3% DR from Sanc and the 3% DR from Renewed Hope do in fact stack.

This is also true with Stoneskin totem and Devotion Aura, which can more easily be tested by utilizing the paperdoll character sheet.

Thanks for the reply, it was my understanding that they didn't so if anyone else could check in to confirm I'd appreciate it. I have noticed the totem/aura stack though and it is indeed very nice.
Racerover

Postby Cylan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:56 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22642
http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t54629-disc ... ost1247172
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f64/5254 ... cerns.html

It was reported to not stack in 3.0, but it's "bugged" to stack for the last few months.

To clarify, currently Vigilance and BoSanctuary are considered the same category buff and won't stack, but both will stack with Renewed Hope.
Cylan

Postby Daikina » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Actually my own testing indicates that Renewed Hope and Sanctuary no longer stack in 3.2. I lost the screenshots but it was easy enough to do--I just found a disc priest, went to RFC, and hopped in the lava.

With no buffs I took 550-551 damage, with sanctuary 533-534, and with sanctuary + renewed hope I still took 533-534. It'd be nice to get someone else to confirm this though (or un-confirm it?)
Daikina

Postby Jerey-Darkspear » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:43 am

Jedah wrote:Currently (last time i checked, when 3.2 was pushed on live) the 3% DR from Sanc and the 3% DR from Renewed Hope do in fact stack.

Stoneskin and Devo stack? Will start having that totem dropped then.
Jerey-Darkspear

Postby Nadir » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:15 pm

Jerey-Darkspear wrote:

Stoneskin and Devo stack? Will start having that totem dropped then.

Yup.
Nadir

Postby phisatmonster » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Honestly, I don't use BoS on anyone but myself anymore, since the nerf in 3.1 that removed the ability of the blessing to return rage and runic power. Almost always had it up on the other tank and I.

I know 3% dmg reduction is nice, but most dmg your dps/healers in your raid will be taking cannot be dodged, parried, blocked or missed physical attacks. I'm not sure if resists count though. I find my non-tanks prefer BoK or BoM, I gave up putting out BoW a while ago because our shamans always forget and drop totems anyways.
phisatmonster

Postby Ragingsoul » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:26 pm

phisatmonster wrote:Honestly, I don't use BoS on anyone but myself anymore, since the nerf in 3.1 that removed the ability of the blessing to return rage and runic power. Almost always had it up on the other tank and I.

I know 3% dmg reduction is nice, but most dmg your dps/healers in your raid will be taking cannot be dodged, parried, blocked or missed physical attacks. I'm not sure if resists count though. I find my non-tanks prefer BoK or BoM, I gave up putting out BoW a while ago because our shamans always forget and drop totems anyways.

Gives all members of the raid or group that share the same class with the target the Greater Blessing of Sanctuary, reducing damage taken from all sources by 3% for 30 min and increasing stamina by 10%.

it's all source, so every AOE. Only the second part of the buffs needs some dodged/parred/blocked attacks.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Postby phisatmonster » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:37 am

Ragingsoul wrote:
phisatmonster wrote:Honestly, I don't use BoS on anyone but myself anymore, since the nerf in 3.1 that removed the ability of the blessing to return rage and runic power. Almost always had it up on the other tank and I.

Gives all members of the raid or group that share the same class with the target the Greater Blessing of Sanctuary, reducing damage taken from all sources by 3% for 30 min and increasing stamina by 10%.

it's all source, so every AOE. Only the second part of the buffs needs some dodged/parred/blocked attacks.

Not arguing the 3% dmg reduction. But even in AOE heavy fights like Mimiron phase 2, I'd still rather throw out BoK/BoM and kill stuff faster. 3% might make the job of the healers a tiny bit easier, but so will killing things faster.
phisatmonster

Postby majiben » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:39 am

We're not talking about a 1 or 2 paladin fight. The choices there are simple. It's the 3 paladin raids where it's a pain.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby kanst » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:59 am

In my opinion if your not buffing this your not doing your job. 3% reduced damage is awesome, it makes your healers lives a lot easier. If Might/Wis/Kings are covered then you really should be buffing Sanc. My casters get angry if they dont have it and there are at least 3 pallies in raid.
kanst

Postby Ragingsoul » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:03 pm

well yeah of course, we are talking about at least 3 pala in raid.
since I don't have improve wisdom or might, or we have totem for wisdom, then 3% less dmg to heal is a really strong buff.

On melee, they only need kings+might, so 3 pala, 1 can do sanc.
On casters, Kings+widom, I do sanc
On hybrid, like ench shamans, or ret pala, wisdom is helping still, but less, so it will depend on the fight.
tanks don't need wisdom,so kings+might+sanc

so in conclusion, yeah, 3 pala means us doing sanc pretty much on everyone
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Postby badgermonkey » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:37 pm

We nearly always run with 2 palatanks and a Holy. I keep setting up PP myself, so that I'm on might/wisdom. That way when it comes to Vezax... yay for not buffing half the raid! ;)
badgermonkey

Postby Worldie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:09 am

Ragingsoul wrote:well yeah of course, we are talking about at least 3 pala in raid.
since I don't have improve wisdom or might, or we have totem for wisdom, then 3% less dmg to heal is a really strong buff.

On melee, they only need kings+might, so 3 pala, 1 can do sanc.
On casters, Kings+widom, I do sanc
On hybrid, like ench shamans, or ret pala, wisdom is helping still, but less, so it will depend on the fight.
tanks don't need wisdom,so kings+might+sanc

so in conclusion, yeah, 3 pala means us doing sanc pretty much on everyone

Generally Wisdom can be totally ignored if there's a Shaman in the raid however.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations