3.2.2 threat nerf

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: 3.2.2 threat nerf

Postby toothdecaykills » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:02 am

Melathys wrote:yea, i'm always like "dude, feign death"... 'oh, yea, ok"

My hunters learned after a bit...it's now the mages. The worst part is that it's always a 'rune of power' gimmick fight. They aren't used to that type of damage normally and sometimes 'forget' about omen.
toothdecaykills

Postby honorshammer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:27 am

toothdecaykills wrote:

My hunters learned after a bit...it's now the mages. The worst part is that it's always a 'rune of power' gimmick fight. They aren't used to that type of damage normally and sometimes 'forget' about omen.

Does Invisibility work like a Feign Death?
honorshammer

Postby Jerey-Darkspear » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:42 am

Honorshammer wrote:
toothdecaykills wrote:

Does Invisibility work like a Feign Death?

Yes, but much longer cd and it has a cast time. I have a mage that I use for a threat boost on Hodir. He gets to under 130%, pops mirror images (creates threat but ignored until expires, like HoP), Hodir runs towards him because he pulled aggro after images dropped, I taunt, and mage goes invisible to drop all aggro.
Jerey-Darkspear

Postby Ragingsoul » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm still think blizz isn't thinking ahead, once again, while doing this nerf if we consider the new tier, at least compare to warriors.
because:
1. Much more armor, on rings, neck, weapon, and trinket, that warriors got buffed.
2. a shit load of expertise on every single piece of gear, that warriors need for more threat.

And we all know, it doesn't take a lot of time for a nerf, but it can take 2 years for a rebuff.

I don't know what to expect with this change, true it's not a lot, but the itemization from T8 content to T9 has totally changed, and will change the threat output of every single tanking class, and thus, I'm questioning the reasoning behind the nerf.
From a T8 point of view, yes, we are making more, but T9 will probably make this even without the nerf, for the same EH gear(no hit on high end gear).

In the end, blizz kinda fails imo, because I'm more and more convinced to take a slow dps weapon, with hit on it. Defense rating is off the charts even without geming or enchanting for it, avoidance has a high DR already, if I can gain 500 TPS or more from a dps weapon for threat fights, and the tanking weapon with 500 more armor for mitigation fights, I'm not gonna spit on it for 1 sec.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Postby Vedge » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:28 am

Only thing that i'm concerned about is that tank tps scaling is usually way slower than dmg output scaling of a dps. RIght now i can probably give up 15% of my total tps and still do fine on most "tank'n'spank" fights, but put all of my dps in ilvl258 gear and they will be overaggroing mad. Damage cap on ShoR and lack of hit on high end gear makes it even more disturbing.

On the other hand with Cataclysm announced, I feel like we wont have to deal with the nerf for too long :P
Imagehttp://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&n=Vedge
Vedge

Postby NYRIN1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:02 am

Vedge wrote:On the other hand with Cataclysm announced, I feel like we wont have to deal with the nerf for too long :P

this!

So many changes to tanks and tanking coming in Cataclysm that most of the aguments on defence/threat are gona be moot here in a bit.
NYRIN1

Postby Gamingdevil » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:54 am

In a "bit"? We still have a major content patch to go.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Trogdaar » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:33 pm

Ok, so the math looks good here. And it appears that we're really not looking at that big of a nerf, but has anyone been on the PTR to confirm any of this theorycrafting?
Trogdaar

Postby majiben » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:47 pm

There's nothing to confirm or test unless there is a bug and they do something stupid and use a .90 scalar on our total threat.

Barring such errors we know with a great degree of certainty the outcome of the change without ever having to log onto the PTR.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:24 am

Ragingsoul wrote:1. Much more armor, on rings, neck, weapon, and trinket, that warriors got buffed.

I really don't think that 3 attack power per 108 armor is really going to make warrior threat massively outscale ours to be honest.
Rhiannon

Postby kaanman36 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:05 am

Also, let's not forget that Blessing of Sanctuary will be increasing Strength and Stamina with 3.2.2

MMO-Champion.com wrote:Blessing of Sanctuary now increases strength and stamina by 10% instead of just increasing stamina.

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=99972.0
Staring at boss crotch since 2005.
Gathorc - 85 Paladin
Eitrigg US

Read my blog http://bigshinyshield.blogspot.com...or don't.
kaanman36

Postby Soralin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm

kaanman36 wrote:Also, let's not forget that Blessing of Sanctuary will be increasing Strength and Stamina with 3.2.2

MMO-Champion.com wrote:Blessing of Sanctuary now increases strength and stamina by 10% instead of just increasing stamina.

This won't provide any change if you already had kings as well as sanctuary. The 10% stamina buff from sanctuary doesn't stack with kings - its natural to assume that the 10% strength won't either.
Soralin

Postby Serv » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:54 pm

We're talking about Blizzard. Don't ever take anything for granted ;)
Thanks to LAVE for the sig

www.rent-a-tank.net ...:::... www.nil-gilde.net
Serv

Postby kaanman36 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:31 am

Soralin wrote:
kaanman36 wrote:Also, let's not forget that Blessing of Sanctuary will be increasing Strength and Stamina with 3.2.2

This won't provide any change if you already had kings as well as sanctuary. The 10% stamina buff from sanctuary doesn't stack with kings - its natural to assume that the 10% strength won't either.

I know they don't stack...My response was for the people who were crying that they have to choose between Kings (for threat) and Sanctuary (for survival) again because they were the only paladin in the raid.
Staring at boss crotch since 2005.
Gathorc - 85 Paladin
Eitrigg US

Read my blog http://bigshinyshield.blogspot.com...or don't.
kaanman36

Postby majiben » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:52 am

Which still hardly makes sense to me since we lived without stam and thus extra SP on BoSanc for a long time, and the 10% str is massively more threat than the SP lost if BoS didn't gain str scaling in 3.2.2.

They have other reasons for making BoS gain str.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations