Hand of Reckoning bonus threat

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Hand of Reckoning bonus threat

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:05 am

IF you are not concerned with hitting diminishing returns on taunts for a boss, you can use the new Hand of Reckoning mechanic in 3.2 to generate a substantial DPS increase while tanking bosses who switch targets frequently, occasionally drop their target, or even just briefly cast an ability on another member of the raid.

Even if you are top threat on a boss and he is actively meleeing you, the damage from Hand of Reckoning will still go off when he briefly switches targets, such as on Vezax when he is targeting people for shadow crash or MotF. It also works on bosses who briefly drop targets (XT-002 during tantrum/heart phase, Razorscale when grounded, etc.) but still have a normal aggro table.

::edit:: t9 2-piece bonus ftw with this mechanic
baleogthefierce

Re: Hand of Reckoning bonus threat

Postby Candiru » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:38 am

Yeah, this is an advanced tactic for prot paladins.

On a fight such as XT, you can use it freely on the heart for free DPS.

You can use it on the boss when he targets someone else
(if you bubble+DS during tantrum, for example) (or during lightbomb casts?)

On a fight where the boss randomly targets people to do a cast, you can use HoR each time for a nice threat boost. HOWEVER, doing so will keep the boss permanently on DR for taunts, and if you die no off-tank will be able to pick it up. Fortunately we can't die unless our AD has been used, so I would recommend using HoR with abandon for more threat unless your AD procs, where you should stop in case you die and render the boss un-tauntable.

On taunt-immune bosses (Eg vexaz) use it whenever you can :)

I have seen ret paladins ALSO very happy about this change (since it means they can burst DPS on XT-heart, Yogg brain etc) but beware them using it on grounded razorscale if its the final landing, since she will then be un-tauntable for 20s!
Candiru

Postby culhag » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 am

baleogthefierce wrote:such as on Vezax

Vezax is immune to taunts, and HoReck always damages taunt-immune targets. Every paladin can spam it for free dps. (fix inc. ?)

Good to know for normal bosses, though !
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Veilan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:03 pm

When the patch came, I replaced my key that used to be exorcism with hand of reckoning, since often enough it works as a perfect substitute.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Agonized » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:59 pm

I'm fearful this is going to be nerfed....6400 damage on crits during add pick ups on Yogg tonight. If this works in PvP I wouldn't be surprised if this was nerfed within a week.
Agonized

Postby Minarva » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:57 am

Ghostcrawler has replied that this is not intended, I hope this does not nerf us as tankadins.

source
Minarva

Postby Chicken » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:17 am

Most likely they'll fix it by not making it do damage on taunt immune targets or targets without an aggro table, that's really what the thread he was responding to was about for the most part.
Chicken

Postby Worldie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:27 pm

It got hotfixed yesterday.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Joanadark » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:46 am

Doesnt Work-
XT heart
Vezax
Yog Saron
Yog Saron's Brain

Still Works-
Emergency Fire Bots
Mimiron p2
Razorscale
Flash Freeze
Freya Trees (Eyonar's gift?)
Crusher Tenticles
Corruptor Tenticles
Constrictor Tenticles
Influence Tenticles
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations