SoV and weapons

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

SoV and weapons

Postby Sheherezade » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:31 am

Hey there

Since we got a new effect on SoV, how will this affect the choice of tanking weapons?

Will slow DPS weapons be better for threat now or will it stay the same?

Seal of Vengeance and Seal of Corruption: These seals have been redesigned to deal substantially more damage. Now, once a paladin has 5 copies of the debuff from these seals on his or her target, on each swing the paladin will deal 33% weapon damage as Holy, with critical strikes dealing double damage. In addition, the damage-over-time effect is now considered a melee attack instead of a spell attack.
Brainssss... ( <3 Murata Renge!)
Sheherezade

Re: SoV and weapons

Postby Worldie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:35 am

Slow weapons will be better, yes.

However, the difference is marginal (prolly not more than 50-100 TPS difference) and actually you rarely got to choose between a quick and slow tanking weapon.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sheherezade » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:42 am

only one is broken promise,yeah, but was thinking about dps weps...

we have very few rogues in the guild, and only one that raids regularly, so any swords that drop is up for grabs :)
Brainssss... ( <3 Murata Renge!)
Sheherezade

Postby Modal » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:40 am

I'm using a fast iLevel 219 weapon with low hit rating and putting out over 10k sustained TPS with the SoV changes so...yeah. Use the weapon with the best mitigation stats.
Modal

Postby Kynes » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:32 pm

Modal wrote:I'm using a fast iLevel 219 weapon with low hit rating and putting out over 10k sustained TPS with the SoV changes so...yeah. Use the weapon with the best mitigation stats.

Not trying to dog ya but 10k sustained TPS? I'd like to see a WoL or a WWS because you and I are a close gear wise and fully raid buffed 25 man I'm running 7k tps using 969 perfectly.
Kynes of the Nightfall - Darkspear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Kynes

Eversteel used to tank uphill both ways in the snow.
Kynes

Postby Meloree » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Modal wrote:I'm using a fast iLevel 219 weapon with low hit rating and putting out over 10k sustained TPS with the SoV changes so...yeah. Use the weapon with the best mitigation stats.

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/rank/clazz/tps/all/7/0/3

Parse or it didn't happen. I'll buy 10k sustained on gimmicks like hodir, or Kologarn where you're dpsing 3 targets. You aren't wearing the gear to support 10k personal tps on Algalon. Or Mimiron. Or Freya.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Nadir » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:25 pm

I wouldn't trust WMO's TPS numbers, especially on multiple target fights. It says I put out an average of 266 TPS (#11 in the world! :roll: ) on Yogg 0 25 man.
Nadir

Postby majiben » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:26 am

Nadir wrote:I wouldn't trust WMO's TPS numbers, especially on multiple target fights. It says I put out an average of 266 TPS (#11 in the world! :roll: ) on Yogg 0 25 man.
Likely including P2&3 time.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Ragingsoul » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:10 am

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/6573843#damageout

12.9k TPS on Hodir hard mode in my normal gear, I don't know how you get 10k on normal fights single target, best you can do is maybe 8.5k.

oh wow, didn't see, 17 best in the world :mrgreen:
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Postby Kynes » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:24 am

Ragingsoul wrote:http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/6573843#damageout

12.9k TPS on Hodir hard mode in my normal gear, I don't know how you get 10k on normal fights single target, best you can do is maybe 8.5k.

oh wow, didn't see, 17 best in the world :mrgreen:

Well hodir is imba for paladins with the scorched debuff. But yeah, I almost hit 9k sustained for ToC25 through wing's duration and almost shit myself.
Kynes of the Nightfall - Darkspear
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Kynes

Eversteel used to tank uphill both ways in the snow.
Kynes

Postby Modal » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:12 am

*shrug* I'm not trying to brag; that's what I saw on Omen on Freya the other night. I haven't had much chance to raid as prot since the patch, mostly been ret. But I was tending to do around 8k before the changes, so I certainly expect it to be higher. Sadly I can't substantiate that; all the currently available WWS logs from my guild have me as ret. But then again, I'm really not trying to brag, just making a comment about paladin threat in general.
Modal

Postby majiben » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:14 am

Modal wrote:on Omen
That's your issue.
majiben

Postby Modal » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:20 am

Omen does a fine job of measuring threat. I understand you wouldn't want to use it to make bragging-rights claims about your tps. Perhaps I should say, I saw about a 25% increase in threat generation with the new changes, when it was already more than adequate. There, now people don't need to feel that their e-peens are threatened; I only mean to be comparing pre-3.2 performance with 3.2 performance.
Modal

Postby majiben » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:51 am

Omen does a fine job of showing total threat, not that it does anything in that area but show a pretty UI since it uses the blizzard threat meter, but does a horrific job of showing sustained TPS.
majiben

Postby Ragingsoul » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Majiben wrote:Omen does a fine job of showing total threat, not that it does anything in that area but show a pretty UI since it uses the blizzard threat meter, but does a horrific job of showing sustained TPS.

use it with DBM to get the encounter time, and divide total threat? it's how TPS analyzer works.
yeah, it's manual, but still, I always have my calculator next to me for other stuff, so it's not a big deal for me.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations