Remove Advertisements

tanking macro greater than button pressing tank?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: tanking macro greater than button pressing tank?

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:55 am

xstratax wrote:Seeing as how no one has said this (yet), how about putting a reset=6 on the 6s Macro, and reset=9 on the 9s Macro? It gives you time to cast Utility talents, and resets to the "start" of 96969 if you get too far out of it.

For one thing, this isn't really necessary as generally it doesn't matter too much what the exact order of the 969 abilities are. The 9 sec abilities tend to be more situational, so more than a few of us have them individually bound, whereas HotR and SSlam are kind of interchangeable.

For another, the [reset=n] command resets the macro n seconds after the last time you pressed the key, so you'd really want a reset=4/7, to get the behaviour you're aiming for.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Delte » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:44 pm

i am a heavy key-binder pressing 16 button for tanking and moving around. i was try macro and i fail hard on macro thinks. its all about your play style. choice which is better for you.
Delte

Postby Wardari » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:42 am

I generally dislike macros fo tanking as I feel it can make it tough to adapt to your situation, however for tank and spank fights where there's little to nothing to really adapt to barring trinket or CD use for moments of panic I also use macros for my 969 as it helps to maintain a tight rotation and helps me mindlessly mash my rotation while keeping an eye on other things.
Wardari

Postby kaanman36 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:51 am

Invisusira wrote:I have a castsequence macro for the 6 second abilities, Shield and Hammer or Righteousness. The other three are too situational and, imo, should not be put in a macro.

I do the exact same thing. Shield of Righteousness and Hammer of the Righteous are on a castsequence macro, but Consecration, Holy Shield and Judgement are their own separate keybinds.
Staring at boss crotch since 2005.
Gathorc - 85 Paladin
Eitrigg US

Read my blog http://bigshinyshield.blogspot.com...or don't.
kaanman36

Postby phaqueue » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:12 pm

Judgement is bound to 1, Hammer is 2, SoR is 3, Consecrate is Z, Holy Shield is F

this is how I got used to it before I really knew about 969, so it just took me remembering which are which - now that I have that down it's pretty simple to keep up the rotation without a macro...

I also like the flexibility on trash and in heroics of being able to not follow 969 if I don't want to - especially for things like skipping consc when I don't need it to conserve mana... or leading with hammer to get initial aggro on a multi-pull...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Markoh » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:22 am

Macros defiantly the way to go. I used to be one of those ppl that didn't use them to say I don't need them, but eventually I realized whats the point. You do the same amount of threat and don't have to pay the slightest attention to what your doing. It's very helpful on the fights where you have to watch like 5 things at once like firefighter and yogg 0.
Markoh

Postby halabar » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:51 pm

xstratax wrote:Seeing as how no one has said this (yet), how about putting a reset=6 on the 6s Macro, and reset=9 on the 9s Macro? It gives you time to cast Utility talents, and resets to the "start" of 96969 if you get too far out of it.

I'm a die-hard macro user. One for the 6, one for the 9, with the reset= in each one.

I have the other keys around those two buttons set for the other on-demand needs.

The only real issue with the macros is that occasionally you need to hit one of your on-demand abilities twice, as it appears something with the keyboard/system-lag allows multiple commands to be stacked up ahead of your on-demand keypress.

I'll heartily agree that individual keybindings will provide better performance overall than the macros, if you are a youngin with Xbox/Halo reflexes... for the rest of us, the macros can work quite well. :-)

Blizz has nerfed some of the macros (had to redo my ret macros) but the tanking ones I have are still working.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby æ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:18 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:For fights where I can mindlessly cycle, I have a button I mash so I can swing the camera around and watch timers and yell at the raid and whatnot.

Code: Select all
/startattack
/use [mod:alt] 13
/use [mod:alt] 14
/click MultiBarBottomLeftButton11
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Bottom Left Button 11 is
Code: Select all
/castsequence Judgement of Wisdom,Shield of Righteousness,Holy Shield,Hammer of the Righteous,Consecration,Shield of Righteousness,Judgement of Wisdom,Hammer of the Righteous,Holy Shield,Shield of Righteousness,Consecration,Hammer of the Righteous

I don't use it all the time, but it's handy.

/steal
10 SIN
20 GOTO HELL
æ

Postby Greddy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:29 pm

I have like one button spam macro 969, for those stand still and tank fight, where I can just spam one button. And focus on everything else. Giving commands etc.

And additionaly have all the abilities keybinded. When things get rought or the sitiuation changes.
Greddy

Postby phaqueue » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:41 am

badgermonkey wrote:I have all 5 abilities keybound seperately. I'm sure I could macro them, but I like to configure my opening based on what I'm against.

this

if you have trouble going through your rotation without focusing on your bars... just practice - solo old content or random big world elites... just keep at it until you can hit it without looking once... takes a bit of practice - but eventually - it's just as easy - and gives you much more flexibility when tanking...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Meloree » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:35 am

phaqueue wrote:if you have trouble going through your rotation without focusing on your bars... just practice - solo old content or random big world elites... just keep at it until you can hit it without looking once... takes a bit of practice - but eventually - it's just as easy - and gives you much more flexibility when tanking...

Markoh wrote:Macros defiantly the way to go. I used to be one of those ppl that didn't use them to say I don't need them, but eventually I realized whats the point. You do the same amount of threat and don't have to pay the slightest attention to what your doing. It's very helpful on the fights where you have to watch like 5 things at once like firefighter and yogg 0.

I'm with Markoh. Especially as a raid leader, any ounce of attention I can free up on some fights is useful. The cats don't herd themselves.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Zx » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:58 am

Meloree wrote:The cats don't herd themselves.

First, hi meloree I had no idea that you were on here.

Second, and this has probably been said a number of times, macros are there for our (the player's) benefit. Use them to the best of your ability and make useful ones that have meaning. There are many times where I have set up a taunt macro for a specific target i.e. the freya fight and the pack of three or champions on thorim. They can be very helpful, however are also somewhat tricky. Learning to take full advantage of them can really help out.
"For no man lives long when his dreams are dead." - Gene Wolfe
Zx

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:01 am

Meloree wrote:
phaqueue wrote:if you have trouble going through your rotation without focusing on your bars... just practice - solo old content or random big world elites... just keep at it until you can hit it without looking once... takes a bit of practice - but eventually - it's just as easy - and gives you much more flexibility when tanking...

Markoh wrote:Macros defiantly the way to go. I used to be one of those ppl that didn't use them to say I don't need them, but eventually I realized whats the point. You do the same amount of threat and don't have to pay the slightest attention to what your doing. It's very helpful on the fights where you have to watch like 5 things at once like firefighter and yogg 0.

I'm with Markoh. Especially as a raid leader, any ounce of attention I can free up on some fights is useful. The cats don't herd themselves.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona

Even then that still boils down to playstyle.
I use no macros in my main rotation(they are for automating unnecessary stuff like removing HoS or auto targetting SS), and yet my attention to detail outside my own role is almost always at the top, i'm often the first one to be aware of anything, bar camera flukes.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ydraw » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:09 pm

My favourite Macro, especially for Thorim:

/rw In The Mountains!

Spam this a lot.

Seriously though, I just have all 5 abilities on separate keybinds, mostly because I don't want to have to have different macros for trash (where I'm going to open with Hammer) vs bosses (where I'm going to open with Shield of Righteousness).

For some bosses where you don't have to move you could conceivably bind the entire 18 second rotation macro to a key, but I think if I did that I'd fall asleep.
ydraw

Postby Yelena » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:06 am

ydraw wrote:For some bosses where you don't have to move you could conceivably bind the entire 18 second rotation macro to a key, but I think if I did that I'd fall asleep.

I'd get flashbacks of playing my Warlock during TBC.

As it stands, I have the abilities individually hotkeyed, primarily because I prefer to have control over my opener as the situation warrants. Even without spamming macros, I'm usually one of the first to notice/react to situations as I can basically do the rotation in my sleep, which allows me to keep an eye on other things.
Valleri - Frostwolf
Yelena

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations