Remove Advertisements

tanking macro greater than button pressing tank?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: tanking macro greater than button pressing tank?

Postby sublimated » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:04 pm

I also have all 5 bound to different keys.

3 = holy shield
2 = ShoR
9 = consecration
5 = HotR

G = JoL
shift+G = JoW
ctrl+G = JoJ

G and shift+G usually get changed around situationally, if there's another pally I usually swap JoL and JoW around, so I don't need to worry about pressing shift as much

I think I might put the 6 sec and the 9 sec abilities into new keybinds too so I can tank braindead mode from time to time.
sublimated

Postby Hearthvaderr » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:27 pm

If you're using two macro's with the 6 second and the 9 second abilities you are setting yourself to trip all over yourself IMO. Consider this, any tanking where you need one or more GCD's to use abilities (refresh SS on yourself, Cleanse, Hand of X, etc.) If that interruption comes at the right time in your rotation, many of your abilities could fall off if you pick up the rotation right where you left off.

So at the cost of those two cleanses of the Black Knight's Diseases, you're blocking 30% less, and taking 20% more damage from increased boss attack speed. If you have all the abilities keybound separately you will be able to just skip Consecrate and SHoR while you cleanse and pick it back up at the Judgement.

It is infinitely more flexible to just keybind them.

However, there is nothing wrong with making the two /castsequence macro's one with your 6-second Cooldowns, and the other with your 9 second cooldowns and just hitting 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 if you know you won't be needing any other cooldowns.
Hearthvaderr

Postby Isetnefret » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:16 pm

I have keybinds for all the 969 abilities, plus HoReckoning and HoSalvation for the lazy DPS.

I don't bind HoProtection, if you steal aggro, die.

I also use a gaming keyboard (Wolfking)

I also have 2 different castsequence macros that are on my default action bar.

To answer your question, the macros are "easier" for fights that don't require a brain.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby Kale » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:49 pm

I keybind practically everything. I only use a couple macros, and the only one I use consistently is my bubble/break macro. My 969 i bound 1-5, alternating between 9s and 6s. 6 is my Aveng. Shield, and 7 - = I have random stuff that I may, may use once a run. Tild and shift tild are my taunts, q is vent, e is hoj, r is cleanse, y is divine plea. g is HoW and H for DP. V and shift v are reserved for clicky trinkets if I have them, and ctrl v for Every Man. Been using pretty much these exact keybinds for nearly two years with only minor changes and additions, and I don't even think about what I'm pressing any more, my fingers move on their own as soon as I want to use an ability. I'm constantly using my mouse to pan the camera around during fights so I can keep track of everything that's going on, and I just don't like having to click abilities during a fight.
ImageImage
Kale

Postby sublimated » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 pm

Mouse is for changing targets (when tab becomes unreliable) and paning camera imo.

I still haven't gotten around to do a castsequence macro for my 6s and 9s, I don't think I will tbh, can tank braindead without em anyway.
sublimated

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:34 pm

Hearthvaderr wrote:If you're using two macro's with the 6 second and the 9 second abilities you are setting yourself to trip all over yourself IMO. Consider this, any tanking where you need one or more GCD's to use abilities (refresh SS on yourself, Cleanse, Hand of X, etc.) If that interruption comes at the right time in your rotation, many of your abilities could fall off if you pick up the rotation right where you left off.

So at the cost of those two cleanses of the Black Knight's Diseases, you're blocking 30% less, and taking 20% more damage from increased boss attack speed. If you have all the abilities keybound separately you will be able to just skip Consecrate and SHoR while you cleanse and pick it back up at the Judgement.

It is infinitely more flexible to just keybind them.

However, there is nothing wrong with making the two /castsequence macro's one with your 6-second Cooldowns, and the other with your 9 second cooldowns and just hitting 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 if you know you won't be needing any other cooldowns.
There's a really easy solution to that though. Use a modifier to override your castsequence. I have ShoR and HotR macro'd to one key, and Consecrate and Holy Shield macro'd to the other. At no time am I stuck casting something I don't want to. I can cast any of those skills on demand. I use shift as a modifier, so when shift is held down it casts the lower priority and when it's not it casts the higher priority if it is not on CD. I lose no flexibility at all, and the UI is nice enough to recognize the modifier and even changes the icon on the fly for me.

I don't have judgement on those macros because it has it's own modifier to change it what it judges on the fly, which was a hold over from TBC.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Isetnefret » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:25 am

Fridmarr wrote:There's a really easy solution to that though. Use a modifier to override your castsequence. I have ShoR and HotR macro'd to one key, and Consecrate and Holy Shield macro'd to the other. At no time am I stuck casting something I don't want to. I can cast any of those skills on demand. I use shift as a modifier, so when shift is held down it casts the lower priority and when it's not it casts the higher priority if it is not on CD. I lose no flexibility at all, and the UI is nice enough to recognize the modifier and even changes the icon on the fly for me.

I don't have judgement on those macros because it has it's own modifier to change it what it judges on the fly, which was a hold over from TBC.

This is how I used to have mine setup, before I completely wiped computer and had to start from scratch. I never got back to it, but now that I'm reminded, I will.
Isetnefret . . - . . Gavoryn

Those of you on the port side of the plane can look out and see the Grand Canyon. Those of you on the starboard can look out and see a cloud shaped like a horsey.
Isetnefret

Postby defeated » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:33 am

This is what i use for my keybindings if it helps at all.

Q=Shield of Righteousness
E=Hammer of Righteous
Shift Spacebar=Consecrate
mouse Scroll up=Holy Shield
mouse Scroll down=Judgement of Light
F=Avengers Shield (aka holy frisbee)
Z=Righteous Defense (AoE taunt)
C=Divine Plea
Shift C=Sacred Shield
Shift E=Trinket(s)
Shift Q=Hand of Reckoning
Shift Big mouse button located near my thumb=Divine Protection (aka bubble wall)

Atm that is everything i have bounded, mostly because i fear binding some other important spells i could accidentally use since i am the fidgity type when playing sometimes and could accidentally hit abilities i don't mean to lol!
defeated

Postby Candiru » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:55 am

A mage friend of mine has his ability all mapped to this mouse wheel / buttons.

So he does something along the lines of roll down -> cast fireball, roll up -> scorch, mouse 3 -> living bomb, mouse 4-> pyroblast

Then you just roll the mouse wheel down, with an up roll every so often and click the buttons when appropriate.

Maybe bind mouse down to 6s, and mouse up to 9s? Then you can just roll back and forth and do max threat since it will send messages very quickly to avoid any lag?
Candiru

Postby xstratax » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Seeing as how no one has said this (yet), how about putting a reset=6 on the 6s Macro, and reset=9 on the 9s Macro? It gives you time to cast Utility talents, and resets to the "start" of 96969 if you get too far out of it.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby gmf1 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:03 pm

I have key binds for all 3 specs, holy has to use keybinds and ret too, but as prot i find it easier to click my macroes. I don't know if its just my small fingers but i can't move backwards and make use of keybinds as prot, i move with keys :) Everyone says clickers are noobs but i can't stay as mobile using binds as prot.

It's fine to use the mouse to move as ret/holy as your not trying to stare down a boss who wants to rape you in the rear end. On tank and spank bosses i use binds, any movement fights its back to keyboard moving.
gmf1
Maintankadonor

Postby Torquemada » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:31 pm

I have two action bars set up for tanking. One has the normal buttons configured, no 969. The macros I do have are to Taunt with RD/HoR based on whether Shift is pressed, Judgement(Different judgements based on whether Shift, Ctrl, or nomod). I tend to use that bar when I'm soloing, on trash, and tanking 5 mans. For bosses I tend to switch to my other bar, which is identical but I've substituted my Judgement and ShoR buttons for a "6" and a "9" macro. As far as varying up the rotation for the pull, I've reconfigured the macro a few times, and currently lead off with HotR to try to proc my libram immediately. Before that I led off with ShoR for the LoO proc.
Torquemada

Postby Macktruck » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:07 pm

I could never stand binding anything to my mouse. Yes I have the buttons to do so, but it's just too :? .

I'm not being judgmental, but I'm a little skeptical about some of the keybinds people make like binding stuff for 1-9. As a serious question, do you not use your mouse while playing and just have both hands on the keyboard? Or do you use one of those G-15 keyboards or the 15 button gaming mouses?

Keeping WASD as movement, I have

Q- Hammer of the Righteous
E - Shield of Righteousness
Shift + Q - Holy Shield
1 - Judgment
2- Seal of Choice
3 - Hammer of Justice
4 - Avenger's Shield
Shift + 4 - Hammer of Wrath
R - Divine Plea
Shift + R - Sacred Shield
F - Righteous Defense
Shift + F - Consecration
Shift + T - Hand of Reckoning
T - Cleanse
V - Divine Protection
Shift + V - Hand of Protection
Shift + E - Lay on Hands

I use Dominoes, and I have another bar shrank to 25% above my main bars (at 65%) which I keep in bottom right-hand corner. This bar contains my personal salv which I click as well as unbound macro'ed salvs for certain players that I switch out depending on if I'm in 10 or 25m raid. I also have Divine Intervention on this bar that I macro to di a specific player. I have potions, 10m buffs, proffesions, and hearthstone all on the right-hand side of my bars and separated and organized for easy clicky-access.

I make great use of the keyboard, and the keyboard and mouse are true extensions of my hands. I could never macro my whole rotation to just a couple of buttons or even macro them at all. It may be weird to others, but it works for me. And if anybody is wondering, I use my right-click for strafing, looking around, etc, and I keep it pressed most of the time.
Macktruck

Postby Florisia » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:28 am

I don't personally like the castsequence macros, although keybinding 69696 to the mouse scroller sounds like it'd be a good idea.

I personally use keys 1-5, with shift mods. It's very easy for me to get all of my frequently used skills in 10 buttons on a single hand. I prefer being able to use the 9s in the best possible time in most runs, rather than in a strict rotation(Yay sudden add control!). For times where my TPS has to be the most it can be, I have a second bar I use that has a castseq of 6969 on 1(Shift Hand of Reckoning) and 2(Shift Righteous Defense), 3 has an extra holy shield(Shift Avenger Shield), 4 is Hammer of Justice(Shift Self-Cast Sacred Shield) and I forget off hand whta's in my 5 slot on my second bar. I honestly don't use castsequence rotation unless on a boss that I know my DPS might be able to out-threat me on and get themselves killed.

I'm the same way with the right mouse button, Macktruck. :)
Florisia

Postby Tetsuo » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:24 am

Mouse and key binder myself. Couldn't imagine clicking my way around my abilities as well as trying to move around.
I also don't use many macros for anything, never mind my rotation. I like them all to be seperate so i can use them as and when i need to depending on the situation.

Keys
1 - hammer of cleave
2 - shield of righteous
3 - judgement (wisdom/light - swap them depending on group composition/who's doing what)
4 - cleanse
5 - divine plea
6 - bubble wall
Q - Holy Shield
E - Consecrate
Alt+3 - righteous defense macro (for when i'm targetting the lose mob)
WASD to move obviously (A and D are now strafe though, use the mouse to turn)

Mouse (Logitech G9)
Side scroll left - Avengers shield
Side scroll right - Single target taunt
mouse sensitivity + button - Bubble macro (bubble and cancel aura)
mouse sensitivity - button - Divine Guardian
Mouse button 4 - DI (from my Holy pala days but i do occasionally get to save a round of repair bills these days)
Mouse button 5 - auto run

I've also got clique installed for my hands
Ctrl+left click a player - hand of protection
Ctrl+right click a player - hand of salvation
Alt+left click a player - hand of sacrifice
Alt+right click a player - hand of freedom

as somebody said earlier, bind your keys some way that you can work with and stick at it. you'll soon get used to them and probably find it a bit easier as it'll become more instinctive to press the key without looking at where it is and you can see more of what's going on in the fight.

First post...rawr. hi all.
Tetsuo

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations