Remove Advertisements

tanking macro greater than button pressing tank?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

tanking macro greater than button pressing tank?

Postby Minnerva » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:44 pm

I am a button presser when it comes to tanking, i was wondering if using a macro with the 696969 tanking be faster than actually pressing the buttons since i can't seem to learn to bind keys because i will forget what keys i bind.
Minnerva

Re: tanking macro greater than button pressing tank?

Postby credible » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:57 pm

Minnerva wrote:I am a button presser when it comes to tanking, i was wondering if using a macro with the 696969 tanking be faster than actually pressing the buttons since i can't seem to learn to bind keys because i will forget what keys i bind.

Hiya,I would have to say,that it would be better and more efficient to be a key binder as apposed to a clicker noob"Like myself"

But there is not a chance in you know what of myself taking the time to learn that,I realize I have not done hard modes yet,but I'm sorry,as my guild progresses and I do,it is not gonna be a problem,would it be easier if we all were key binders,I would probably have to agree:)

I can count on 1 hand the amount of times,that if I had turned quicker,we would have done something,without wiping,as
far as I'm concerned your more likely to have server lag or latency be an issue then folks being clickers:)

The most important part of the pve part of this game,is to have competent players,from there,you can do everything the game has to offer,imho:)
credible

Postby Minnerva » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:16 pm

credible wrote:
Minnerva wrote:I am a button presser when it comes to tanking, i was wondering if using a macro with the 696969 tanking be faster than actually pressing the buttons since i can't seem to learn to bind keys because i will forget what keys i bind.

Hiya,I would have to say,that it would be better and more efficient to be a key binder as apposed to a clicker noob"Like myself"

But there is not a chance in you know what of myself taking the time to learn that,I realize I have not done hard modes yet,but I'm sorry,as my guild progresses and I do,it is not gonna be a problem,would it be easier if we all were key binders,I would probably have to agree:)

I can count on 1 hand the amount of times,that if I had turned quicker,we would have done something,without wiping,as
far as I'm concerned your more likely to have server lag or latency be an issue then folks being clickers:)

The most important part of the pve part of this game,is to have competent players,from there,you can do everything the game has to offer,imho:)

what the hell does that have to do with the post? i asked which was better, I am asking if there is any significance between the two
Minnerva

Postby Invisusira » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:35 pm

I have a castsequence macro for the 6 second abilities, Shield and Hammer or Righteousness. The other three are too situational and, imo, should not be put in a macro.

Just pick a keybind and stick to it. You'll get used to the keys quickly.
Invisusira

Postby Minnerva » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Invisusira wrote:I have a castsequence macro for the 6 second abilities, Shield and Hammer or Righteousness. The other three are too situational and, imo, should not be put in a macro.

Just pick a keybind and stick to it. You'll get used to the keys quickly.

okay thanks, i might try keybinding them to my middle button hopefully i don't for get that and i will keep button clicking the situational
Minnerva

Postby badgermonkey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:26 pm

I have all 5 abilities keybound seperately. I'm sure I could macro them, but I like to configure my opening based on what I'm against.
badgermonkey

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:31 pm

For fights where I can mindlessly cycle, I have a button I mash so I can swing the camera around and watch timers and yell at the raid and whatnot.

Code: Select all
/startattack
/use [mod:alt] 13
/use [mod:alt] 14
/click MultiBarBottomLeftButton11
/run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Bottom Left Button 11 is
Code: Select all
/castsequence Judgement of Wisdom,Shield of Righteousness,Holy Shield,Hammer of the Righteous,Consecration,Shield of Righteousness,Judgement of Wisdom,Hammer of the Righteous,Holy Shield,Shield of Righteousness,Consecration,Hammer of the Righteous

I don't use it all the time, but it's handy.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:07 am

badgermonkey wrote:I have all 5 abilities keybound seperately. I'm sure I could macro them, but I like to configure my opening based on what I'm against.

Same.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Lid » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:15 am

I don't stick to the standard rotation enough on trash for me to merit a castsequence macro for the six second cooldowns (I like to have holy shield and consecrate down before hammering the pull).

I have everything bound seperately, and then I have a one button tanking macro for things like malygos. The separate bindings help somewhat on thorim arena and sarth with drakes up.
Lid

Postby Nadir » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:41 am

I have the five 9696 abilties as well as the two cast sequence macros bound. I find there's a place for both. I tend to revert to cast sequence macro in tank and spank situations with little movement or dynamic activity.
Nadir

Postby Noradin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:55 am

Using modifiers to access abilities in my two makros directly if need be.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Corpsicle » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:00 am

I use 2 macros, one for 6's and one for 9s. I also have keybound all five abilities.
Corpsicle

Postby Makaijin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:46 pm

If by keybinding, you mean by rebinding actionbars to different keys, then funny enough I play with with the default keybinds, with the execption of the top left action bar in which i have rebinded to F1-F12. Yes i use my WASD for movement, and I have Consectrate on number 2, HS on 3, Judgement on 4 etc etc.

Well at least i'm not a keyboard turner/mouse clicker.
Makaijin

Postby Arnock » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:35 pm

I have my 6 second abilities bound to 2, and 9 second abilities bound to 3 with castsequence macroes

Holy shield, Consecrate, and Judgement all have their own binds, as well as HoW, exorcism, and RD
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:31 am

My keybinds are quite weird -- Judgement to 9, HotR to 0, SoR to -, Holy Shield to = and Consecration to F12

I also have /castsequenced my 6s to one button and my 9s to another button...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations