Block % and Block Rating

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Block % and Block Rating

Postby kennywu54 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:19 pm

So, 102.4 is the magic number. That's the number all tanks want to reach to block/dodge/parry every attack that can be blocked/dodged/parried.
I've read several posts that say "...stop stacking avoidance after you've reach the cap...".
But, for a blocking set only, is it wise to keep stacking block? The higher the block rating you have, the more damage you'll block, right? I understand that a higher block percentage will mean nothing, but will I not block more incoming damage?
Or would it be wiser to start stacking dodge?
Thanks in advance to repliers.
kennywu54

Re: Block % and Block Rating

Postby Koatanga » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Block rating increases the chance you will block. At 102.4, the chance is maximised; no additional block rating will increase your chance to block.

Block value, as opposed to block rating, increases the amount of each incoming hit you block. If you want your blocks to do more, block value, not rating, is what you want.

Having said that, it is wiser to stack dodge for all post-Naxx content.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Nadir » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:27 pm

Increasing your block rating does not increase the amount of damage it absorbs per hit. Block rating strictly increases your chance to block. In general, you most likely will not need or be able to make use of more than ~100 or so block rating when fully raid buffed in an instance like Ulduar.

One of the few cases where you might wear block rating gear over 102.4% would be for a large amount of trash that hits for moderate amounts of damage. Since Holy Shield is likely to be stripped even with Redoubt proc or two, any block rating + avoidance above 102.4% will see some use.
Nadir

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:47 pm

Thats what ive done with my blockset.
Its at around 38-39% block rating, with 20% dodge and 17ish % parry.
with Holy shield up thats waaaay over 102.4% (more like 112%), but that extra block rating is handy for when you are doing lots of trash that strip your holyshield down before 8sec is up.

Come 3.2 you will find yourself at the 2.4k block value cap pretty easily
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby mclem » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:36 am

masterpoobaa wrote:Come 3.2 you will find yourself at the 2.4k block value cap pretty easily

I was under the impression the incoming cap was only in terms of the effect BV has on Shield of Righteousness, you still accumulate damage reduction beyond 2.4k? Or has that changed?
mclem

Postby Lolpaladins » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:49 am

mclem wrote:
masterpoobaa wrote:Come 3.2 you will find yourself at the 2.4k block value cap pretty easily

I was under the impression the incoming cap was only in terms of the effect BV has on Shield of Righteousness, you still accumulate damage reduction beyond 2.4k? Or has that changed?

It hasn't changed, you're 100% correct
Lolpaladins

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations