Remove Advertisements

Advanced Tactic 3.2: SS sniping while OTing

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Advanced Tactic 3.2: SS sniping while OTing

Postby Candiru » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:57 am

So, imagine you are tanking Runemaster in 3.2 on Iron Council. He heals to full before DPS starts on him anyway, so threat isn't an issue. You can use SoL for some bonus healing on yourself, and you can dispel Fusion punch from the Steelbreaker tank.

What else can you do to be useful?

Well, say you have a holy paladin healing the raid with Flash of Light with a beacon on you. Now if you cast a SS on whatever he is casting his flash of light on (requires libhealcom or equiv) then every flash cast will add a HOT. All these hots will then tick back on you thanks to the beacon

I am imagining a partnership where you team up to drastically increase his healing (doubling his FoL output with all the hots)

Now, this wouldn't be practical in any situation where you needed to maximise threat, but for times when threat isn't an issue (eg on kologarn when you have 2 stacks of debuff and aren't tanking, mimiron P2, etc) it would double the holy paladin's healing from flash!

Anyone else had a similar thought?
Candiru

Re: Advanced Tactic 3.2: SS sniping while OTing

Postby Jasari » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:07 am

Doesn't really seem like a viable tactic to me. A Holy Paladin's FoL cast is going to be much faster than your GCD so trying to coordinate who they're targetting and then getting a SS on them in the ~1 second it takes them to cast the spell will be tough. Also the HoT isn't powerful enough to really make much of a difference on a DPS class. And finally, despite the mana regen nerfs, Paladins will still be sticking mainly to HL spam while keeping a HoT ticking on the tank.

[edit]
Oh, and does the HoT proc from another Paladin's SS being on the target?
Jasari

Postby culhag » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:09 am

Isn't the FoL hot only triggered if his SS is on his target ?
I honestly don't know, but that's what I'd expect.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Candiru » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:21 am

No, the FoL hot is triggered by ANY SS on the target, rather than the crit buff which is trigged by the temporary shield of the casting paladin.

The idea of this method is that you have ~7 FoL Hots on different targets, effectively doubling the Beacon of Light HPS on the tank.
Candiru

Postby thando36 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:36 am

Well, latency aside. The best way to do what your asking is a /targetoftarget macro, now you simply target said holy pally (possibley have him on focus and tot off that, not sure if thats possible) Then as you see him start FoL, you hit SS. Now assuming your latency is low enough, you get SS of first, rinse and repeat. Seems simple enough, but you would have to be very fast, i know in my holy set my FoL's can get down to the .7-.8 cast time.
thando36

Postby Earantur » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:14 am

I seem to remember reading that the SS/FoL HoT doesn't transfer through beacon. I do however know that any friendly paladin's SS can trigger the HoT.
Earantur

Postby toothdecaykills » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:01 am

I don't believe heal over time effects can overheal so you'd have to bank on the target actually receiving effective healing from FoL, which won't ever be guaranteed. However, I reckon this would still be helpful for those fights where threat isn't important.
toothdecaykills

Postby Awyndel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:22 am

You don't dps kologarn?
Awyndel

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:37 am

I don't think you'll be able to react in time. Holy Paladins have a goodly amount of haste, and then there's also latency and reaction time to consider. Finally, there's the question of when a holy paladin will actually use FoL anyway.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby PsiVen » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:10 am

That would be a nice trick when you have nothing to tank or need mediocre healing more than you need mediocre damage. But keep in mind that Sacred Shield is expensive, so you'd better have a target to swing at with DP and SoW while you Clique the shields so that you can maintain autoattack. This is assuming SS doesn't normally break autoattack (not sure) but if it does I doubt this will be sustainable. And unless you can spam it and have nothing better to do with your GCDs, it's not very useful.

The other problem is, I can't remember the last time we had a holy paladin on raid healing. You'd get better results swapping them out for a druid who doesn't need your shields to HoT the tank and raid.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Candiru » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:29 am

holy paladins are ALWAYS going to be on raid healing in 3.2... since they tank heal by raid healing now.

Not point casting a heal on the tank when you can cast a heal on a DPSer who at least *might* take damage before the heal lands. And you can cast it on feral druids(+20%) or ret paladins (+5%) or hunter pets (+20%?) for bonus healing power too.

No holy paladin is going to be casting heals on the tank in 3.2, unless there is 0 raid damage, or very frequent tank swaps so that beacon isn't worth casting.
Candiru

Postby badgermonkey » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:27 pm

Or if you have a Patchwerk style fight ;) Or if your OT and MT are reasonably close to each other.
badgermonkey

Postby knaughty » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:09 am

Candiru wrote:Not point casting a heal on the tank when you can cast a heal on a DPSer who at least *might* take damage before the heal lands. And you can cast it on feral druids(+20%) or ret paladins (+5%) or hunter pets (+20%?) for bonus healing power too.

Don't warlocks have +10% as well?
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Candiru » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:41 am

Warlocks do have +20%, but only if they use their "++armour and +20% healing" armour (which is for PvP) rather than the spirit=spellpower armour which they always use for PvE I think.
Candiru

Postby majiben » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:54 am

Hunter tanking pets get up to 50%
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations