Remove Advertisements

3.2 AD

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: 3.2 AD

Postby nutron » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:29 am

survived an algalon big bang, so confirmed theres no cap.
User avatar
nutron
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:43 am

Re: 3.2 AD

Postby Candiru » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 am

From what I have seen it seems that if you take stupid damage, it'll save you.

If you take a minor killing blow, it'll heal you to 30% less the overkill

What happens if you take a 30% overkill killing blow? Do you end up dead, on 1HP?
Image
Candiru
 
Posts: 2479
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: 3.2 AD

Postby Xenix » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:42 am

Rainge wrote:FYI: Unbalancing Strike negates the save effect of AD. I learned this the hard way last night.


That is incorrect - here is a death log for me from Thorim last night. You can see the Unbalancing Strike was mitigated by AD, but the crit 1/4 second after killed me. Most likely the same thing happened to you and you thought it was unbalancing alone that gibbed you.

Also, like Nutron said, it doesn't seem to matter how big the hit that kills you is - it's like Guardian Spirit and it'll absorb enough that you'll be left at 30%.
User avatar
Xenix
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:56 am

Re: 3.2 AD

Postby Candiru » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:12 am

No, the 30% requires you are def capped, unbalancing strike lowers your defence so you won't get the full 30% heal if you have the debuff.
Image
Candiru
 
Posts: 2479
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: 3.2 AD

Postby repent » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:28 am

So after we killed the new boss, we headed back into Ulduar, and got to XT. We were using the side strategy, and got an absurd number of bomb bots, scrap bots, and pummlers, and had a less than steller kill. (The XT tank dropped, so I ended up picking it up, and we 20 something manned it until the end. He enraged immediately after a tantrum and I was able to stay up for 6 secs until we killed him. Here is the log after the enrage.

[21:01:24.369] XT-002 Deconstructor hits Contríte Parry
[21:01:25.684] XT-002 Deconstructor hits Contríte Dodge
[21:01:26.669] XT-002 Deconstructor hits Contríte Miss
[21:01:27.614] XT-002 Deconstructor hits Contríte Dodge
[21:01:28.496] XT-002 Deconstructor hits Contríte Dodge
[21:01:29.554] XT-002 Deconstructor hits Contríte 48707 (O: 79251, A: 4836, B: 1704) (<--- That would be a 128,000 hit)
[21:01:30.519] XT-002 Deconstructor hits Contríte Miss
[21:01:31.513] XT-002 Deconstructor hits Contríte Dodge
Image
repent
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:39 am

Re: 3.2 AD

Postby Rainge » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:48 am

Xenix wrote:That is incorrect - here is a death log for me from Thorim last night. You can see the Unbalancing Strike was mitigated by AD, but the crit 1/4 second after killed me. Most likely the same thing happened to you and you thought it was unbalancing alone that gibbed you.


I should have said "negates the effectiveness".

To clarify, it wasn't the Unbalancing Strike itself that killed me as it didn't take me into AD range. While under the debuff, though, I received no health back from the GS effect when it triggered on the killing blow (a frostbolt volley took me under 35% and a melee hit finished me off).

Same thing on the next attempt - US took me under 35% and the following hit killed me. Given the nature of the debuff and the relation of defense skill to the health restored by the AD save, I think I'm just seeing a gimmick where the AD save isn't quite as useful.
Image
User avatar
Rainge
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:50 am

Re: 3.2 AD

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Rainge wrote:
Xenix wrote:That is incorrect - here is a death log for me from Thorim last night. You can see the Unbalancing Strike was mitigated by AD, but the crit 1/4 second after killed me. Most likely the same thing happened to you and you thought it was unbalancing alone that gibbed you.


I should have said "negates the effectiveness".

To clarify, it wasn't the Unbalancing Strike itself that killed me as it didn't take me into AD range. While under the debuff, though, I received no health back from the GS effect when it triggered on the killing blow (a frostbolt volley took me under 35% and a melee hit finished me off).

Same thing on the next attempt - US took me under 35% and the following hit killed me. Given the nature of the debuff and the relation of defense skill to the health restored by the AD save, I think I'm just seeing a gimmick where the AD save isn't quite as useful.


I am confused here, if you had the AD buff then you don't get the GS effect for 2 minutes (because you were killed previously). You should still receive the AD proc but.

Also if you get hit by an unbalancing strike it drops your Defense skill (or so says the tool tip) by 100, that takes you to 440 or not crit immune so you would get a tiny heal anyway from GS if at all.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
Image
2ndNin
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:53 am
Location: EU-Silvermoon

Re: 3.2 AD

Postby Veilan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:01 pm

While I don't think the "guardian spirit" part is imbalancing, I find it rather unnecessary. I welcome it as it sometimes keeps the freak accident / dumb luck from happening, yet it certainly isn't powerful enough to make an encounter you couldn't tank before tankable now. That's good.

What I'm worried about is the next patch nerfing this again, and not the guardian spirit aspect, but the mitigation part. Blizz has a habit of seesawing with questionable foci.

Time will tell!
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Image
User avatar
Veilan
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:45 am

Re: 3.2 AD

Postby Rainge » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:19 pm

2ndNin wrote:if you get hit by an unbalancing strike it drops your Defense skill (or so says the tool tip) by 100, that takes you to 440 or not crit immune so you would get a tiny heal anyway from GS if at all.


Exactly. :mrgreen: I didn't mean for the observation to derail the thread.
Image
User avatar
Rainge
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:50 am

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest
?php } else { ?