Remove Advertisements

when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Postby Digren » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:36 am

Soralin wrote:You're talking about two separate purposes. The Indestructible potion will significantly reduce the amount of damage you take over its duration, whereas the health potion is a temporary health boost. One is proactive and one is reactive. If you're expecting to take a lot of physical damage pop an armor pot. If you're not, then leave the cooldown free for health potions.

It's also worth noting that you can take an armor pot just prior to pulling and be able to use another potion 60 seconds later, so you can get the best of both worlds. For harder hitting (melee) bosses though, I tend to pick the armor potion (x2) to reduce my DTPS, and rely on my healers for topping me up (or healthstone/trinkets/shieldwalls when appropriate).

Yeah yeah, I use the armor pots before the pull on Auriaya and other places where I expect to be smashed. I was more responding to your claim that you "almost always prefer Indestructible Potion to Health Potions of any kind." Once the fight starts, I know I'm going to be taking a lot of physical damage for the next 5-10 minutes. After the pre-pull armor pot fades, I'd rather save my one-and-only pot cooldown for the arguably better health pot instead of just popping another armor pot.
Digren

Postby Corman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:31 pm

Digren wrote:
Soralin wrote:You're talking about two separate purposes. The Indestructible potion will significantly reduce the amount of damage you take over its duration, whereas the health potion is a temporary health boost. One is proactive and one is reactive. If you're expecting to take a lot of physical damage pop an armor pot. If you're not, then leave the cooldown free for health potions.

It's also worth noting that you can take an armor pot just prior to pulling and be able to use another potion 60 seconds later, so you can get the best of both worlds. For harder hitting (melee) bosses though, I tend to pick the armor potion (x2) to reduce my DTPS, and rely on my healers for topping me up (or healthstone/trinkets/shieldwalls when appropriate).

Yeah yeah, I use the armor pots before the pull on Auriaya and other places where I expect to be smashed. I was more responding to your claim that you "almost always prefer Indestructible Potion to Health Potions of any kind." Once the fight starts, I know I'm going to be taking a lot of physical damage for the next 5-10 minutes. After the pre-pull armor pot fades, I'd rather save my one-and-only pot cooldown for the arguably better health pot instead of just popping another armor pot.

Just to make the case a bit for indestruct pots:

We have LoH - full heal + mana. Usable Max once per fight. However, may not be available every pull, due to VERY long CD.
Most raiders should have a single TicTac / Healthstone from their friendly Warlock. Effective healing equivalent of a health pot.
We have the ability to use, in combat, a single pot. Health or Mana or Indestruct.

Crazy disclaimer - > I have used more Mana than Health pots.

Reason: Tictac + LoH. I generally never need that 3rd one. But my raid setup could be very different from someone else's. The skill and style of your healers probably determines what's best for you. I generally save my Pot/Indestruct pot for an appropriate time. It gives me a solid 2minutes of rather serious physical damage reduction. When I see Thorim's enrage timer 2.5 m away or so? Indestruct. Final heart phase? Very preemptive and probably wasted, but indestruct gets popped. If I lose a healer on Hodir? Indestruct. Anyone else? I probably just hold the pot in reserve should I require that health pot. But like I said, use more indestructs by a factor of 3x or 4x to mana pots, which I use at a 2x factor to health. Dang avoidance streaks. And heart phases.
Corman

Postby Soralin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:41 pm

Digren wrote:I was more responding to your claim that you "almost always prefer Indestructible Potion to Health Potions of any kind." Once the fight starts, I know I'm going to be taking a lot of physical damage for the next 5-10 minutes. After the pre-pull armor pot fades, I'd rather save my one-and-only pot cooldown for the arguably better health pot instead of just popping another armor pot.

That was actually Venoseth, not me. I'm simply a proponent of Armor pots - but I do recognise that both armor and health pots are situational. It's very likely that armor pots will decrease more damage taken than amount healed by healing potions against a harder hitting boss, however they don't provide you with that "oshit I'm low quick do something" option whereas a health potion does.
Soralin

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations