Remove Advertisements

when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Postby Blutreich » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Do you constantly use your trinket cool downs or save them in case of emergency? On some fights I blow them when I know a spike is comming but usually I have them macroed to my hs. Personally I think I will always use possible BV boosts for extra threat but was wondering what thoughts where on dodge rating boosts for example.
I tried searching for this but found nothing.
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Re: when to use tanking trinket cool downs

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:27 pm

It depends on the fight. If there's predictable burst, I'll chain trinkets during that. If you're just kind of constantly getting shat upon, I'll use them on CD.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Braundo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:32 pm

For any non-farmed content, I try to save them for emergencies. This can be either predictable times (Frozen Blows, Plasma Blast, etc) or unpredictable times like a healer falling asleep or heavy raid damage needing to be healed up which can potentially leave you a little low on heals.

But, if your raid has the fight entirely on lockdown with no chance of anything going wrong (complete farm clears or whatever), I just use them every time they're up. It just makes things go more smoothly.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Salamandra » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:14 pm

If something's on complete farm I never use trinket cooldowns at all. If it's just constant heavy damage I use them whenever I actually remember to. If something's predictable, I use it when that happens.
Salamandra

Postby Soralin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Braundo wrote:For any non-farmed content, I try to save them for emergencies. This can be either predictable times (Frozen Blows, Plasma Blast, etc) or unpredictable times like a healer falling asleep or heavy raid damage needing to be healed up which can potentially leave you a little low on heals.

But, if your raid has the fight entirely on lockdown with no chance of anything going wrong (complete farm clears or whatever), I just use them every time they're up. It just makes things go more smoothly.

^ This.
Soralin

Postby Venoseth » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Salamandra wrote:If something's on complete farm I never use trinket cooldowns at all. If it's just constant heavy damage I use them whenever I actually remember to. If something's predictable, I use it when that happens.

If something's on farm to the extent you don't feel you need the CDs why not use a DPS/TPS trinket (DMC:G, for example) instead?
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Venoseth

Postby daemonym » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:42 pm

Venoseth wrote:
Salamandra wrote:If something's on complete farm I never use trinket cooldowns at all. If it's just constant heavy damage I use them whenever I actually remember to. If something's predictable, I use it when that happens.

If something's on farm to the extent you don't feel you need the CDs why not use a DPS/TPS trinket (DMC:G, for example) instead?

fun fact, i always tank naxx with greatness ^-^
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Serv » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:12 am

Actually we (our raid) are trying to pull out max tps. So everyone is bugging me to equip Greatness + the hit trinket vom Leviathan10 and my full SbV/Str Gear and then Blast off.

But back to topic. Usually im wearing the Iron heart + JC Trinket and as the 2 on use dodge effects can be combined. So I've got a mere 39% dodge every two minutes, which is like a second oh shit button combined with Hand of Salvation.
Thanks to LAVE for the sig

www.rent-a-tank.net ...:::... www.nil-gilde.net
Serv

Postby theckhd » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:02 am

Venoseth wrote:If something's on farm to the extent you don't feel you need the CDs why not use a DPS/TPS trinket (DMC:G, for example) instead?

Because most people pick their trinkets by looking at both the static bonuses and the on-use abilities. It's entirely possible to have an encounter on farm but not want to give up 150+ stamina for extra (possibly unnecessary) damage and threat. People do make mistakes (both healers and tanks), even on farm content.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby kanst » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:18 am

I use them on predictable damage, or any time I hear a healer say something like "crap I'm ice blocked"
kanst

Postby Lid » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:17 am

I keep repelling charge open most of the time, and I pop it like a potion cooldown.

It's like an IOU heal - you're borrowing the health bonus, and you have to pay it back after a few seconds. But lucky for us, the healers can pay that back pretty well.

My other trinket that has a use effect, the Ignis10 furnace stone, I pop it with my wings at the start of a boss pull. I leave it off cooldown unless I overpull trash.

I haven't tried using my trinkets along with bubblewall, but I suspect that bubblewall by itself would be good enough to stop anything that would kill you, and if someone can kill you under bubblewall, it'll kill you under bubblewall+trinkets.
Lid

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:22 am

Monarch Crab... I'd say I use that pretty constantly, even in heroics. I was a big non-user of "on use" functions in BC and really wanted to change that in Wrath. So I made a conscious effort to change that. Now it's almost become part of my rotation in the sense that I use it whenever it's available.

Furnace Stone on the other hand, adds about 5% damage reduction with it's armor bonus. (Or at least, that's what my armor tooltip tells me.) So I generally save it for anything that makes me go "oh shit, I'm not going to make it". This includes a Mimiron plasma blast that we have no available internal or external CDs for, same for Vezax.

As for heroics, if my healer is regenning mana, or drinking, and I'm still plugging along, I'll pop both trinkets if I get to 50% health and the healer is nowhere near.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Braundo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:43 am

Nikachelle wrote:Furnace Stone on the other hand, adds about 5% damage reduction with it's armor bonus. (Or at least, that's what my armor tooltip tells me.) So I generally save it for anything that makes me go "oh shit, I'm not going to make it". This includes a Mimiron plasma blast that we have no available internal or external CDs for

...Plasma Blast damage is reduced by armor?

News to me if so.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:46 am

Braundo wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Furnace Stone on the other hand, adds about 5% damage reduction with it's armor bonus. (Or at least, that's what my armor tooltip tells me.) So I generally save it for anything that makes me go "oh shit, I'm not going to make it". This includes a Mimiron plasma blast that we have no available internal or external CDs for

...Plasma Blast damage is reduced by armor?

News to me if so.

Oh shit. Is it not? I'm going to feel like a particularly large fool if it's not.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Salamandra » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:03 am

It's spellfire damage, of course it's not reduced by armor. No trinkets other than health increasing ones will help in any way.
Salamandra

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations