Remove Advertisements

WWS Analysis Guide for Tanks?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

WWS Analysis Guide for Tanks?

Postby Braundo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:02 pm

Forgive me if this has been discussed somewhere already, but I tried a few forum searches both on here and on Tankspot and nothing particularly relevant came up.

I have a decent working knowledge of how to read WWS parses and glean basic facts from them, but I am kind of in the dark regarding anything in particular I should be looking for as a tank. Aside from checking my HS/SS uptime, TPS, and that kind of stuff, is there anything else I should be looking for? Are there perhaps any guides out there that explain some of the things that a tank may find most useful in a WWS report?

I'm aware of the TPS Parser for WWS, which is helpful, but I can get a (reasonably) good estimation of my TPS in-game, so that's not a huge benefit to me after the fact. I've also used StratFu's WWS Analysis guide, but that's more of a general-purpose overview for raid leaders and not really as in-depth as I was hoping for.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Re: WWS Analysis Guide for Tanks?

Postby Jasari » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:17 pm

I use WWS (well WoLogs actually) more as a general raid analysis tool rather than specifically for evaluating just my own performance.

If you're using it to evaluate just your own TPS, some easy metrics for "tank/spank" encounters are:

[Fight Length in Seconds / 6] which is roughly your maximum number of possible ShoR or HotR casts...
[Fight Length in Seconds / 9] for Judgement casts.

With WoL you can also see your uptime and percent for various things such as HS which is useful.

For general raid analysis, I like to look at specific parts of fights such as the moment the 2nd boss dies on Iron Council Hardmode to when Steelbreaker dies (or your wipe). These are crucial raid DPS checks and it can be very helpful to see where you're at. If you die you can also look at the 5-10 seconds before you died and see what the healers were casting and what you were getting hit by. Sometimes this requires looking at the actual combat log, but it can be very helpful to see if you took some avoidable damage and died as a result, or if one of your healers was busy healing a DPS who stood in fire too long, or one of the zillion other reasons why tanks die. By figuring out the real cause of the wipe you'll be progress a lot faster than just saying "healers stop letting the tank die" or "DPS, do better".
Jasari

Postby Corpsicle » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:56 pm

I prefer wowmeteronline.com (which is free) for analyzing tanking performance. It calculates healing from absorbs, TPS, TPS sources and has some handy graphing abilities that wws does not. If you don't feel like you are getting everything you want from wws, might look over wowmeteronline.com and see if it has more of what you want.
Corpsicle

Postby Sophistie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:12 pm

I use to check tanking time vs Inspiration / Ancestral Fortitude uptime (since they do not both apply - one can't apply with the other is present, you need to add both).

Actually I noticed a few mounth ago most "omfg the tank just disappeared" could be explained by +25% Armor buff downtime. I now monitor the buffs uptime every now and then with PowerAura.
Even though the 3.2 change is actually a nerf for high-armor-geared tanks, it will still remain a huge mitigation+survival buff that I will keep tracking.

Generally speaking, carefully reading the "death log" can provide very useful informations on why you actually die : buffs, debuffs, unsufficent gear or healer slacking. The "Death" tab of Recount and the addon Acheron are also very useful at this, especially provided they work ingame and don't require the whole combatlog a posteriori parsing.
Sophistie

Postby Java » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:37 am

I think Jasari has pointed out the main reason of tank deaths.

1) The tank did not do something to avoid/mitigate incoming damage (move the boss fast enough from the blue rune in Iron Council for example)
2) Healers were not healing the tank (they were moving/they were healing the wrong target -ie.. a DPS standing where he shoulnt...)

Currently I am using WoLogs, but I miss some good things from WowWebStats in WorldOfLogs website, for example the 'applet' to calculate the TPS with the WWS parser (I don't remember the URL/name, I will paste it when I arrive home, in job's computer I don't have the link)
Java

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations