Remove Advertisements

Too much Block Rating

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby vexryn » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:40 am

Thels wrote:Well, in itself it has no disadvantage other than the complete lack of any advantage.



The advantage is for trash tanking old TBC and Vanilla instances, where you might pull 10, 20, or 30+ mobs at a time and your holy shield charges will be exhausted in a second.

I think the OP has an interesting idea, and I've been playing with it as a possibility myself. But yeah, I'd really only be doing it for pre-Wrath instances where it's nice to see if I can get 102.4% WITHOUT Holy Shield, because my block value is high enough that 102.4% from stacking block, each block IS the equivalent of a dodge or parry because it's a 100% damage reduction either way (since old world mobs hit for less than the likely block value of such a block set).
vexryn
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby SellassieTanks » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:18 am

Well, if you are blocking so much you are probably eating up all the charges of HS, leaving you able to be hit (even if block w/o holy shield is high), and since your avoidance will suck...u get slapped like a silly lil nub until your HS cd is back up
Image
SellassieTanks
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:53 am

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby Mirydon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:32 am

Vexryn wrote: But yeah, I'd really only be doing it for pre-Wrath instances where it's nice to see if I can get 102.4% WITHOUT Holy Shield, because my block value is high enough that 102.4% from stacking block, each block IS the equivalent of a dodge or parry because it's a 100% damage reduction either way (since old world mobs hit for less than the likely block value of such a block set).

If you're doing it for TBC raids, you don't actually need 102.4% do you? I don't know the % you'd need against lvl 73, but I'd guess somewhere around 95%?
Rune Weapon has defeated the hero of the Warmaul, Mogor! All hail Rune Weapon!
Mirydon
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:45 pm

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby Leuthas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:43 am

Mirydon wrote:
Vexryn wrote: But yeah, I'd really only be doing it for pre-Wrath instances where it's nice to see if I can get 102.4% WITHOUT Holy Shield, because my block value is high enough that 102.4% from stacking block, each block IS the equivalent of a dodge or parry because it's a 100% damage reduction either way (since old world mobs hit for less than the likely block value of such a block set).

If you're doing it for TBC raids, you don't actually need 102.4% do you? I don't know the % you'd need against lvl 73, but I'd guess somewhere around 95%?

A bosses' mechanics will act as if it was level 83, against me.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Image
User avatar
Leuthas
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:45 pm
Location: Scarlet Crusade (US)

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby itankforcash » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:32 am

At the moment on PTR Block Value has been doubled, is it me or is this a massive boost to our avoidance? I was blocking like upto 5k on PTR, so with full raid buffs that's going to be 6k+ surely? Not to mention the 4 set T8 and the libram.

Won't this make for example Algalons damage pretty easily healable? Considering we block a lot more than we dodge or parry (or well we should be?)

Or I could be just being retarded.
itankforcash
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:24 am

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby Leuthas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:48 am

itankforcash wrote:At the moment on PTR Block Value has been doubled, is it me or is this a massive boost to our avoidance? I was blocking like upto 5k on PTR, so with full raid buffs that's going to be 6k+ surely? Not to mention the 4 set T8 and the libram.

Won't this make for example Algalons damage pretty easily healable? Considering we block a lot more than we dodge or parry (or well we should be?)

Or I could be just being retarded.

Well, block value is a threat stat too. Other than that, unless bosses start hitting really fast for smaller hits, dodge will still be king for tanks.
Why can't a Warrior Thunderclap while silenced?

You're actually clapping your thighs together with a force so powerful that you generate a sonic boom and the resulting electrostatic energy. Unfortunately, when you're silenced, you can't generate the audible force from your thunder thighs.

Image
User avatar
Leuthas
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:45 pm
Location: Scarlet Crusade (US)

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby Awyndel » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 am

The only advantage or disadvantage would come with the itemezation used to reach this point, and how you feel about it.

That said, if you're building it for being imune while aoe tanking low level mobs, then avoidance beats block for the sake of saving holy shield charges. Like mentioned before.
User avatar
Awyndel
 
Posts: 672
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:49 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby Soralin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Why is this even a thread?

If you are blocking full hits then block is the same as dodge and parry, except that you take durability damage on your shield.
If you are not blocking full hits then you take more damage per block than you would per dodge/parry (ie: 0).

There is no secret underlying mechanic, Block Rating is not subject to diminishing returns.

Just to clarify is your intention to get to block cap without HS? I really don't see what you're getting at.
User avatar
Soralin
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby nairb89 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:48 am

if in a situation where a block is the same as a dodge/parry (blocking full hits) i see one good thing and one bad thing happening
good would be if you have a shield spike on your shield = more aoe damage
bad, is like Soralin just said, every time you block your shield takes durability damage, the higher your block chance, the quicker your shield turns red

a little OT, but i learned that after some strat runs in my block gear, having to run back to light's hope after every run to repair my shield, i just said screw it and went with my normal gear, the extra damage from the shield spike wasn't worth the time it takes to run back and forth to the instance

p.s. please excuse the horrible format of my post, it's late
nairb89
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:15 pm

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby Conaan! » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:07 pm

the OP is asking a very simple question, which you guys somehow are not getting, hes going for non HS block cap, he wants to hit that, and wants to know if there is any disadvantage to that

the ONLY disadvantage to being block capped permanently (like you said, disregarding hit size), is higher repair bills, things will eat through your shield rather quickly
Image
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
User avatar
Conaan!
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 3:22 pm

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby Dantriges » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:01 am

Still remember my shield turning into scrap metal after two bosses in MH when tanking in block set
Dantriges
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am

Re: Too much Block Rating

Postby Soralin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Leuthas wrote:I've been increasingly interested in building a block set lately, mostly for trash tanking and soloing BC heroics and vanilla raids.

I've been adding up the numbers on BiS block gear, and from what I've come to see, it should be possible to hit 50% block chance (unless the calculator I'm using is broken) without Holy Shield. This would put a Paladin at 80% block chance with Holy Shield; now asuming you have around a 10% (or less) dodge and 10% (or less) parry chance... is there any disadvantage to this much block? Obviously 50% block (w/o HS) chance with 20% parry and 28 dodge is useless, as it would be above the block cap.

I'd like to clarify, I am asking of mechanical disadvantages - not disadvantages of block's poor mitigation in raids such as Ulduar. Any help and/or citations much appeciated.

It doesnt really seem clear what he's asking, since he first comes up with a random number (50%) and follows by mentioning holy shield.

If the question is "can I reach block cap without holy shield active" then the answer is "probably", although it won't be viable for tanking anything meaningul as you sacrifice far too much HP and Avoidance.

As stated before the only "mechanical disadvantages" of stacking block instead of dodge/parry (aside from the obvious increased damage taken if you're not blocking full hits) are that your shield will run out of durability more quickly.
User avatar
Soralin
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 pm

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yelena and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Yelena and 1 guest