Remove Advertisements

Armor vs stam?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Armor vs stam?

Postby Squishums » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:39 am

Hey,

My personal tanking obcession is to stack armor. I feel that armor is a far better alternative to avoidance or threat for a slot/enchant that doesnt allow for a stam.

But like I said its an obcession, Im tempted to give up small amounts of stamina for more armor.....but where do I draw the line?

To use the signet of winter, the keystone great-ring, and the defenders code at the same time (none of which have any defence at all), I would have to not only change my helm (from the crafted BS helm to the helm of vital protection), but change a gem from stamina to defence. The total stam lost would be more than 40! (though with massive boosts in other stats aswell as just the armor).

According to my mathz, with limited buffs/unbuffed I would lose an alarming amount of EH. With all buffs (flask shout, etc) I would still lose a small amount of EH. But unless the bosses are doing magic dmg, EH from armor is better than EH from stam. The overall dmg reduction is significant, and youre less taxing to heal too because your health-pool is more compact.

SOOOOOO, I dont know how to quanify the way EH from armor is slightly better than EH from stam.....so I really cant compare it.

Any advice?
Squishums

Re: Armor vs stam?

Postby hoho » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:46 am

What kills you more often, big melee hits or big magic hits? What helps you more against the hits that kill you?
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

Postby jere » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:19 am

I am blocked from work, so I don't know where to find the right constant, but if you know how to find the Armor equation constant for a level 83, then I can give you the more complete equation.

Basically for only armor changing:
Code: Select all
                            delta_armor
delta_EH_from_armor = HP*-----------------
                         lvl83_ac_constant

If you look at only HP changing:
                            armor + lvl83_ac_constant
delta_EH_from_HP = delta_HP*-------------------------
                                lvl83_ac_constant

If both change at the same time, the equation looks a bit messier, but essentially is
                                 delta_armor
delta_EH_from_both = delta_HP*----------------- + delta_EH_from_AC + delta_EH_from_HP
                              lvl83_ac_constant
jere

Postby CircuAuchindoun » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:20 am

I tend to use a lot of armor myself, however I have a 4pc t8.5 warrior/DK for the magic damage bosses.
Do you have an armory link?
CircuAuchindoun

Postby Squishums » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:27 am

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Squishums

I chose to regem a slightly and use the naxx helm....and have my 2 defenceless armor rings.

I feel a bit noxious at how low my stam is. I can stack it higher switching gear, but i had to change gems in my main gear, so I cant get as high a I could even if I swap gear on a magic-dmg boss =/
Squishums

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations