Remove Advertisements

Double Block Value? Not so great as it sounds?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Double Block Value? Not so great as it sounds?

Postby Raeli » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:14 pm

Maybe I misunderstood this but

"Block Value: The amount of bonus block value on all items has been doubled. This does not affect the base block value on shields or block value derived from strength."

Does that mean that the only gain at all will be from the items that have:

"Equip: Increases Block Value by 68." Which will go to 136.

If so this is actually a very poor increase. It would turn out I loose something to the tone of 2-300 BV worth of damage on ShoR, as there is only one BV piece in my "normal" tanking set. Not only this, but it turns out to be quite a large decrease for shield in PVP too, which sucks, I was kinda having fun as Prot DPS in arena.

I guess in PVE the extra 100 damage or so every 1.6 seconds will more than likely offset the threat loss from this, but for them to go on about how they are buffing block value, and then make a change like this seems odd. I'd imagine for the majority of tanks, this will have very little positive impact on their block value really outside of the trash tanking set.

Or have I just totally gotten this wrong and I'm an idiot?

One other thing I noticed was that they are increasing the duration of "trinkets" with BV, this also affects Libram of the Sacred Shield, which of course is only up when holy shield is up, so what? Perhaps I'm being an idiot, but doesn't this make Libram of Obstruction far better now also what with it lasting 10 seconds after this change @ 352 BV instead of Sacred Shield's.

Seems like some very dumb changes to me really so far.
Last edited by Raeli on Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raeli

Re: Double Block Value? Not so great as it sounds?

Postby Saeverud » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:19 pm

No. It's actually a nerf unless you have a quite a bit of block value on your gear I believe. But I think the SoV buff will make up for the damage and tps decrease.
Saeverud

Postby Terrible » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:21 pm

Saeverud wrote:No. It's actually a nerf unless you have a quite a bit of block value on your gear I believe. But I think the SoV buff will make up for the damage and tps decrease.

If they doubled the SBV contribution from Strength, it would make things better. Otherwise, it's a pretty lackluster change save for prot paladin arena, tier 7 tanking, and trash.
Terrible

Postby Awyndel » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Yeah i'm a bit worried about the librams, wouldn't this make the emblem of heroism libram better then the ulduar heroic one? Sounds odd if you put it that way doesn't it, very sloppy blizzard
Awyndel

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:05 pm

Umm, in what way is this a nerf.

Doubles block value on equip.
Doubles block duration on use type.

So its a buff to your normal gear with any block value on it (no base change to shields or strength), and an increase to situational tps trinkets like corin or even our librams (since I will assume that blocking 3-500 more is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of 30k hits).

Am I missing something?
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Candiru » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:14 pm

130% -> 100% ShoR damage.
Candiru

Postby Raeli » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:23 pm

2ndNin wrote:So its a buff to your normal gear with any block value on it (no base change to shields or strength), and an increase to situational tps trinkets like corin or even our librams (since I will assume that blocking 3-500 more is largely irrelevant in the grand scheme of 30k hits).

Am I missing something?

3-500? I gain 68 Block Value on my general boss tanking set :o
Raeli

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:30 pm

Meh, SHoR is a nerf, the block is a buff... just not a big one. Suppose if we actually geared for block though, 2-3k of block value would be possible.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Nadir » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Blocking for 4-5k on T8 content is meaningful. From my current BV bear it looks like I'll have 2783 unbuffed. Add in the LoO/LoS exploit, greatness proc, and raid STR buffs then it might make BV stacking a viable means of tanking current content. If the damage ramp up from T8 to T9 is as drastic as T7 to T8, then nothing's really changed.

As long as they implement 2 minute IBF I'll be happy if no other changes make it into 3.2.
Last edited by Nadir on Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nadir

Postby Raeli » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:44 pm

It doesn't affect strength. It's only BV from "Equip: Increases Block Value by XX." It's not the Block Value you see when hovering over block on the char pane. So yeah.

I can gain an absolute maximum of about 500 increase if I wear a really bad gear setup that is focusing just on increasing BV.
Raeli

Postby Nadir » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:49 pm

Raeli wrote:In the maximum amount of block value gear I can get, it's an increase of about 500.

It's a bit more than that if you have the top BV item in each slot. For me the increase from gear is 1051, and then you have to factor in LoO going to 704 BV on a 63% uptime.
Nadir

Postby Inscrutiable » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:00 pm

I actually gain no block value from this change on my main tanking set. So this looks like a straight threat nerf. Do we know when Theck will go ahead and do a new threat evaluation of SoV changes and to as whether Seals of the Pure will become a viable spec.
Inscrutiable

Postby Spectrum » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:07 pm

On my main tanking set I think I have a few pieces that have BV even though I don't itemize for it. So I'll gain at least 200 * 1.3 = 260 BV.

Don't forget this new BV will scale with our talents and the meta if you have it. It will definitely make a BV set pretty silly on content you out-gear, but it will probably have minimal impact on progression tanking.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Raeli » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Nadir wrote:
Raeli wrote:In the maximum amount of block value gear I can get, it's an increase of about 500.

It's a bit more than that if you have the top BV item in each slot. For me the increase from gear is 1051, and then you have to factor in LoO going to 704 BV on a 63% uptime.

Libram is changing to double duration, not double block value. As is, apparently, the libram from Vezax too, which seems like a bit of an oversight really.

Also, I just went and added up the highest BV items from:

http://www.wowhead.com/?items=4&filter= ... v=100#back

And I got a maximum increase of 876, so, what?
And that's using TBC items even in some slots. So wtf gear are you using? :P

Edit: Doh! I fail, I forgot about Redoubt :oops:
But still, that's only 1138, so you still must be using some real heavy BV there to get a 1051 increase which seems odd to me at least on a normal tanking set. :o
Raeli

Postby Nadir » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:26 pm

Oh, LoSS is going to double uptime and not double BV. That definitely pushes the numbers down. Isn't it already at 100% uptime? What a shitty change.

So yeah, it's still worthless on progression. But I'm guessing that a few of the current ilvl239 tanking items will be sought after even with the new content so we might see BV stacking for farming Ulduar.
Nadir

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations