Remove Advertisements

Are Warriors Still Supreme???

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Are Warriors Still Supreme???

Postby SellassieTanks » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:28 am

I can't help but to notice that The warrior tank in my (semi) new guild is ALWAYS put in the MT position. WHy??? Is there something that I am missing about Warriors? I am under the impression (and WWS confirms) I mitigate more physical and spell damage than he does, have like 200 more HP buffed, not top mention over 3% more raw avoidance... (multiple officers/full raiders have commented to me on his threat being low as well)

Is it b/c I'm still kind of new (got full raider after 2 raid resets as I was informed they didn't want to waste the opportunity to add a skilled tank to their team, and I have since performed my jobs w/ few mistakes and saved QUITE a few almost wipes when our warrior drops). OR am I diluted in thinking Paladins are on par (actually better) than warrior tanks in all places except where bosses fear.

Set me straight please! Developing a complex!
SellassieTanks

Re: Are Warriors Still Supreme???

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:38 am

If the warrior tank has been in the guild longer, chances are they're used to the way he plays. Most guilds don't just relinquish MT status to a new tank in the guild.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:44 am

They'll go with what they know, simple as that. If it had been a longrunning Druid or DK, chances are they'd do the same.

But no, Warriors are not particulalrly supreme.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Jasari » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:51 am

All 4 tanking classes are virtually equal. There are time when one class is slightly favored, but outside of 25man hardmodes the difference is hardly noticeable.

Guild typically stick with their time-tested MT, especially for progression content. I assume the warrior is the go to MT because he's been in the guild longer than you.

If you have a problem with the way they're assigning tanking tasks, I suggest you talk to an officer in the guild. Most guilds are happy to swap tanking around to let everyone have an opportunity to tank what they want to tank. The key is communication, I tell all my guild members that if they have a question or a problem with the way we're doing anything to talk to me or another officer. 99% of the time these types of problems can be handled painlessly.
Jasari

Postby Cryo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:03 am

Regarding warriors, there health still seems superior despite gear (when according to math its not but still bugs me to see a warrior alt with all boe gear with same health i have give or take) yet i still think a good pally "beats" a good warrior through gearing versatility (threat / block / avoidance wise) except with 4pcT8 where they become crazy good again :s.
Dk's however are still vastly supperior imo, im sitting at 35.2k unbuffed when my Dk equivalent is at 40k unbuffed with more avoidance armor and cd's :s. (im cryø on aggramar and he is falm).
Yet i have the luck ef being in a guild with smart raid leaders (of which i am an officer) and we always used the best suited person to MT any encounter (same goes for healing aswell). But it still feels like we're gimping ourselves if i MT anything like mimiron or vezz.

That new Tanking cd can't come quick enough imo, and that block change either (assuming it's a buff ! ^^)
Tanking since 2005.
Cryø <The Phoenix Reborn> on Aggramar-EU.
Cryo

Postby honorshammer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:22 am

Cryo wrote:That new Tanking cd can't come quick enough imo, and that block change either (assuming it's a buff ! ^^)

I just wish we could get some specifics instead of the rather vague comments we've gotten. What is the new cooldown going to be, what ARE they doing with block.

Many questions, few answers.
honorshammer

Postby SellassieTanks » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:50 am

I suppose I'll wait a few more weeks b4 I say anything, atleast they never ask me to dps or heal. (they know I ONLY tank, but they have never pushed it upon my acceptance into the guild.)

i'm not looking for MT status, just to tank when more appropriate
SellassieTanks

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:54 am

SellassieTanks wrote:Are Warriors Still Supreme???

No.

SellassieTanks wrote:i'm not looking for MT status, just to tank when more appropriate

What is "more appropriate" in your mind?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Serelynn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:16 am

There really isn't reason to use one tank over any other, it comes down to what the guild is used to and who is most reliable. Also, outside of a couple hard modes, there really isn't a place where it is more appropriate for one tank to be on a boss over another in a meaningful way.
Serelynn

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:01 am

Honorshammer wrote:
Cryo wrote:That new Tanking cd can't come quick enough imo, and that block change either (assuming it's a buff ! ^^)

I just wish we could get some specifics instead of the rather vague comments we've gotten. What is the new cooldown going to be, what ARE they doing with block.

Many questions, few answers.

This is a little annoying, I agree. Especially when they could probably literally hotfix the Glyph of HoSalv to also make it not reduce threat without really hurting anyone. Meanwhile, I can't tank General25 unless we have at least two Disc Priests. :( By the time our cooldown comes around, the one fight I can't tank (without a major change to a poorer strategy) will probably be irrelevant.

Serelynn wrote:There really isn't reason to use one tank over any other, it comes down to what the guild is used to and who is most reliable. Also, outside of a couple hard modes, there really isn't a place where it is more appropriate for one tank to be on a boss over another in a meaningful way.

Except for General25.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Jasari » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:09 am

moduspwnens wrote:Meanwhile, I can't tank General25 unless we have at least two Disc Priests. :( By the time our cooldown comes around, the one fight I can't tank (without a major change to a poorer strategy) will probably be irrelevant.

I used to feel the same way until I was forced to tank him last night with no external CDs due to raid comp. We tried the kiting strat on every other surge when bubble wall wasn't up and it ended up being our smoothest kill to date. So while the not-kiting strat is probably a bit easier from a conceptual perspective, kiting basically gives you a 10 second break in tank damage everyone 1-2 minutes with no major draw back besides requiring a little more situational awareness from everyone in the raid.
Jasari

Postby QuantumDelta » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:38 am

Yea, what?
Verax is fine, people who don't wanna kite are just bad, it has more benefits than negatives too if you do it properly -.-
It doesn't bother the ranged dps at all either (unless they're above 110% threat) :<
never ever understood the cries about verax, he's fine for everyone.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:40 am

QuantumDelta wrote:Yea, what?
Verax is fine, people who don't wanna kite are just bad, it has more benefits than negatives too if you do it properly -.-
It doesn't bother the ranged dps at all either (unless they're above 110% threat) :<

How does it have more benefits. We find the non kiting method to be tons easier.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby cougbait » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:20 pm

i get the same thing in my guild.

the way our guild deals with it is if you need add pick up right away with out too many "misses" then put a non-warrior on it, if you need interrupts put a warrior on that.

every boss is different and your guild/raid should understand this and use the best tank for that situation.

dont worry about it till he cant tank something then ask to be the MT for that and that will put you into the fast track to being top tank
cougbait

Postby Jasari » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:36 pm

Fridmarr wrote:
QuantumDelta wrote:Yea, what?

How does it have more benefits. We find the non kiting method to be tons easier.

I think both strategies have their pros and cons. I definitely don't agree with the "people who don't kite are just bad" argument.

The bottom line is that people should do whatever works best for their guild. For my guild, until recently, that was the don't-kite method. Now I prefer kiting every other surge.
Jasari

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations