Remove Advertisements

ret or dev aura

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

ret or dev aura

Postby vladria » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:01 pm

I have always been under the impression that ret aura was better than dev aura in almost all tanking situations for paladins. Is this wrong?
vladria

Postby Lore » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:12 pm

They're situational tools.

If threat is your primary concern, ret aura. If mitigation is your primary concern, devotion.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby guillex » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:12 pm

5mans and possibly even heroics, ret is great for threat gen.

In raids though, I usually toss up Devo for my group... And switch to a resist aura when necessary.

Just me though.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Brute » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:27 pm

If I were to start losing agro in a raid I'd put up ret. Until then, I'll go dev.

Ret forever in 5-mans though.
Brute

Postby vladria » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:45 pm

Ok, with my current spec, i sacraficed +3 to hit, and 1 point in reckoning and 1H damage. This allowed me to imp ret aura. I have been thinking about respec to drop this. Thanks for the advice
vladria

Postby Worldie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:01 pm

Retri aura is useful everytime you have to AOE tank. But its not "that" big aggro boost, many times you would prefer Sanctity or Devotion to it.

When you are outgearing places, Retri aura is a solid way to build extra aggro, however.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Hixx-LaughingSkull » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:26 am

I go devot in 5-mans, gotta keep them clothies ballsy.
Hixx-LaughingSkull

Postby Mithos » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:56 am

I always use ret on threat fights, I have only MT'd leo twice so far but each time i had to nerf my tank gear because I just wasn't taking any damage...run oom quite quick, so witched to ret aura and even some pvp gear lol. Same with voidy. I only use Dev when the game is survival more than anything (unless resistance is required).
Mithos

Postby Alienor » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:09 am

I thought I saw somewhere that Ret Aura doesn't "proc" off partially blocked attacks. Basically making it useless for single or dual tanking, unless you're not keeping Holy Shield up.

For AoE tanking it's great though, normally when you're AoE tanking something it's because they don't hit hard enough for the extra armor to matter.
Alienor

Postby Luromerre » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:21 am

Alienor wrote:I thought I saw somewhere that Ret Aura doesn't "proc" off partially blocked attacks. Basically making it useless for single or dual tanking, unless you're not keeping Holy Shield up.

For AoE tanking it's great though, normally when you're AoE tanking something it's because they don't hit hard enough for the extra armor to matter.

It procs off partial blocks, not full blocks though...

...at least i'm pretty sure. There was a huge thread about it on the WoW forums and a couple people claimed to have tested it, so i'm going off what they are saying.

I tend to trust the opinions of this forum a bit more so maybe someone can confirm or deny whether it actually does...i generally assume it procs on partials.
Luromerre

Postby Alienor » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:37 am

Yeah I'm not 100% sure so I'll give it a quick test myself later on.
Alienor

Postby Noradin » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:36 pm

Luromerre wrote:I tend to trust the opinions of this forum a bit more so maybe someone can confirm or deny whether it actually does...i generally assume it procs on partials.

It does.
ImageImage
Noradin

Postby Mithos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:10 am

It works on partial blocks yeah, uncrushable + combat log says so.
Mithos

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations