Weapon Enchant

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Weapon Enchant

Postby shindo1234 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:04 am

I have been having a lot of problems finding a good tank enchant

I've been looking at Blade Ward recently because it is one of the only avoidance chants but people say that it is crap
is it worth to get or no?
Alexstraza (Horde) Santcuff Lvl 80 - Blood Elf Paladin
shindo1234

Re: Weapon Enchant

Postby Jasari » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:10 am

Accuracy is the best threat enchant

Mongoose and +26 Agility are the best mitigation/avoidance enchants

Blood Draining is (probably) the best survivability enchant

Choose whichever one you need.
Jasari

Postby shindo1234 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:54 am

ok thanks for the information
shindo1234

Postby Conaan! » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Jasari wrote:Accuracy is the best threat enchant

blade ward is right up there with mongoose, and still gives some backlash threat at times
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Ancalimë » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:57 pm

Conaan! wrote:

blade ward is right up there with mongoose, and still gives some backlash threat at times

Sure, but Blade Ward is also quite a bit more expensive than the 'goose if that's a concern. I mean, I'm not sure I'm going to spend 500+ gold on an enchant on a non-BiS item. I'd imagine the extra crit on a mongoose is about on par threat-wise with blade ward.

Also, think about the weapon you're enchanting. For example, Legacy of Thunder pretty much screams for lightning crackling over it...swirling column of red, not so much.
You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.
Ancalimë, Champion of the Naaru
Ancalimë

Postby Kethion » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:35 pm

I still think 26 agi superior to mongoose. Not only does mongoose average out to less agi than the static enchant, but it's procced avoidance. Normal avoidance is already RNG, meaning procced avoidance even less reliable.
Kethion

Postby majiben » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:03 am

Kethion wrote:I still think 26 agi superior to mongoose. Not only does mongoose average out to less agi than the static enchant, but it's procced avoidance. Normal avoidance is already RNG, meaning procced avoidance even less reliable.

Mongoose averages out to more average agility which is why it's even considered and RNG doesn't make mongoose anymore unreliable then +26 agility.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Conaan! » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:50 am

Ancalimë wrote:
Conaan! wrote:

Sure, but Blade Ward is also quite a bit more expensive than the 'goose if that's a concern. I mean, I'm not sure I'm going to spend 500+ gold on an enchant on a non-BiS item. I'd imagine the extra crit on a mongoose is about on par threat-wise with blade ward.

Also, think about the weapon you're enchanting. For example, Legacy of Thunder pretty much screams for lightning crackling over it...swirling column of red, not so much.

we arent talking about the cheap enchants, you specifically stated "are the best mitigation/avoidance enchants" which, if you are doing so, you should include the best, and not take one out because its a bit more expensive

and its really not expensive, get the abyss crystals from your guild, and the rest is like 200-300g at most
Conaan!

Postby Ancalimë » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:35 pm

Well, I didn't ask for it, so I'm not really following where the accusatory "you" is coming from, but...

I consider Blade Ward to be enough of a wash with Mongoose right now that even something as silly as cost could tip the balance. Until Blade Ward procs more, I'm not sure how interested I'll be.
You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket.
Ancalimë, Champion of the Naaru
Ancalimë

Postby Kethion » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:11 pm

Majiben wrote:
Kethion wrote:I still think 26 agi superior to mongoose. Not only does mongoose average out to less agi than the static enchant, but it's procced avoidance. Normal avoidance is already RNG, meaning procced avoidance even less reliable.

Mongoose averages out to more average agility which is why it's even considered and RNG doesn't make mongoose anymore unreliable then +26 agility.
I'm still getting it to average out at 24 agi using a 2.0 speed weapon, so I am assuming I am forgetting an ability that can trigger the proc (or calculating it wrong? :X). And regarding procced avoidance... I just prefer the armor and dodge being there at all times as opposed to having an on and off cycle
Kethion

Postby MrDuck » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Kethion wrote:I'm still getting it to average out at 24 agi using a 2.0 speed weapon, so I am assuming I am forgetting an ability that can trigger the proc (or calculating it wrong? :X).
When i tried doing the maths some months ago, i believe I've ended up with a number more close to 30 or so, however, since it's a big burst of added dodge, it suffers more from diminishing returns than agility during that spike.

However, as we all know, the more avoidance you have ,the more you still get so I'm not sure if it's really a problem at all.
MrDuck

Postby Kethion » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:32 pm

If ShoR can proc it that would be the factor I wasn't accounting for, and would put it right at 30 agi when averaged out (assuming 2.0 speed weapon).
Kethion

Postby Varrusk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:13 am

I don't think my question belongs in it's own thread, so I won't make a new (another) Blade Ward thread. However, I do want to hear your opinions on looking at it from a different view. This might also have been asked before, but after 5 minutes of search function, I gave up.

IF [Blade Ward] mirrored how [Mongoose] works, would you be more enticed to use it?

In other words, instead of the proc stacking to 5, there would only be 1 proc, just as [Mongoose] only has the single buff, and the proc would no longer be consumed on parry.

Thoughts?

-Varr
Varrusk

Postby gregorian » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:16 pm

uh..blade ward never stacked to 5. its just a flat 200 parry rating, which if it lasted for the full 10 sec regardless of parries, would outplay 12s of 120agi. the answer is yes, bladeward would be in fact the mongoose of the lv80 era. unfortunately blade ward doesnt work that way. it doesnt proc reliably, and it lasts for but several seconds only.
gregorian

Postby Conaan! » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:12 am

gregorian wrote:uh..blade ward never stacked to 5. its just a flat 200 parry rating, which if it lasted for the full 10 sec regardless of parries, would outplay 12s of 120agi. the answer is yes, bladeward would be in fact the mongoose of the lv80 era. unfortunately blade ward doesnt work that way. it doesnt proc reliably, and it lasts for but several seconds only.

blade ward stacks, ive had it stack to 3 before it faded off, you just cant have a parry happen during that period and be lucky with it proccing
Conaan!

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations