Remove Advertisements

DPS'ing as Protection

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

DPS'ing as Protection

Postby Noodleguitar » Sun May 31, 2009 3:53 pm

On fights like Maexnna I sometimes get asked to DPS instead of Tanking.
While my second spec is Holy, I don't mind DPS'ing, but I would like to get my DPS as high as possible in Prot spec.

Couple things that I'm unsure about:
- Shall I wear DPS gear or BV gear? Can't decide since ShotR is a high-DPS attack.
- Which seal to use? I'm using Vengeance atm, but is it more DPS than SoB/SoM?
- Should I gem my gear with hit/expertise, or am I better off getting more Strength/crit?
Noodleguitar

Re: DPS'ing as Protection

Postby Nadir » Sun May 31, 2009 4:00 pm

I don't think it's ever worth gemming for expertise as Protection. I'd gem for STR and wear a heavy block value set. On a fight like Patchwerk I've seen 3400 DPS with this setup.
Nadir

Postby cougbait » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:04 pm

i would say if your party is worried about not downing maexnna then stay prot and be a back up tank.. even if your 3 tanks deep in the spiders having a back up tank is nice that way if the tank dies then you pick up the boss and the OT stays on adds

or if your talking about a fight like loethb (cant remember how to spell) some of the tanks ahve to have a dps set/spec... if not then be an extra healer...

unless your really gimp on dps having a 3rd evn 4th tank in naxx isnt gonna hurt you
cougbait

Postby onimarishu » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:26 pm

I think the consensus is BV gear wherever you have it, and throw your highest STR gear everywhere else.
Onimarishu - 80 Human (Tankadin/Holy)
Jaydran - 80 Space Goat Shaman (Resto/Enh)
Kaval - 6X Tauren Druid (Boomkin/Resto)
onimarishu

Postby cougbait » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:58 pm

also to add onto what i said... as i tank i am always dps'n... the only thing that really is different than what i consider is a dps role is that i control the fight, move the boss taunt stray adds and such, most "bad" tanks are tanks that dont think they are dps'n, since i got recount on of the stats i have noticed that is greatly different between myself and "bad" tanks i have played with is the activity log which i am usually towards the top, mainly because i am always doing something.

next time you get in a patchwerk type fight look at the activity section of the recount and see how you look compared to other tanks
cougbait

Postby Jonesy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:15 am

High activity in Recount just means that you appear more frequently in the combat log. It doesn't really correlate to anything well (except what class you rolled 80 levels ago).
Jonesy

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations