Remove Advertisements

What avoidance stats tap-out first?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

What avoidance stats tap-out first?

Postby John Ra » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:41 am

Say the following three avoidance stats have a maximum percentage before they fizzle out and stop adding %, what are they?

Block = ??%
Dodge = ??%
Miss = ??%

I've noticed that I can stack as much block rating as I want, but after awhile, it doesn't seem to add much more avoidance. Like when I opted for "Tough Shield" instead of stamina for my shield and got nothing out of it. What else taps out and at what percentage?
John Ra

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:49 am

"Tough Shield" http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=27944 adds 18 block value, not block rating.

Block rating is the first things that "falls of the bottom" of the combat table, if you have sufficient dodge/parry etc -- when you're over 102.4% avoidance, block rating is the first value to be depreciated.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby John Ra » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:36 am

Okay, how about this, which stats give the most avoidance per 1 point. From greatest to least:

1 defensive rating
1 parry rating
1 dodge rating
1 block rating
1 block value
1 agility
1 strength (I'm guessing this will come in last, I've tried to stack strength in the past and have gotten little avoidance out of it)

Thank you.
John Ra

Postby Dreamcrusher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:41 am

I posted this info in my pre-raid gear thread, let me get a link...

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 1&pageNo=1
<3
Dreamcrusher

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:55 am

Uh

As someone in the thread said already, Block Value does not grant you avoidance. It will not make your chance to block go up. Strength will similarly not make your chance to do anything increase.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Arcand » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:23 pm

Sabindeus wrote:As someone in the thread said already, Block Value does not grant you avoidance.

What we're picking about, John, is the distinction between mitigation and avoidance - terms which even tanks interchange sloppily.

Avoidance is a binary chance to have an attack not affect you at all. Defense, dodge rating, parry rating and agility all increase your avoidance by affecting your chances to be missed, to dodge or to parry.

Mitigation reduces the effect of every hit, generally by a fixed amount or a fixed percentage. Armor, Improved Righteous Fury, defensive stance, spell warding and Blessing of Sanctuary are examples of mitigation effects.

Blocks, especially when all incoming hits are blocked, get lumped in with mitigation - so before you block all incoming hits Block Rating is a mitigation stat. Block Value and strength are also mitigation stats, although strength scarcely deserves the title.
Arcand

Postby Ferrosis » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:29 pm

John Ra wrote:Okay, how about this, which stats give the most avoidance per 1 point. From greatest to least:

1 defensive rating
1 parry rating
1 dodge rating
1 block rating
1 block value
1 agility
1 strength (I'm guessing this will come in last, I've tried to stack strength in the past and have gotten little avoidance out of it)

Thank you.

Basic Training is another index...

In answer to your question, however, and assuming you mean avoidance with respect to becoming uncrushable, from highest to lowest:

1 Block Rating
1 Defense Rating
1 Dodge Rating
1 Parry Rating
1 Agility
Neither Block Value nor Strength offer any avoidance.
Ferrosis

Postby Arcand » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:36 pm

If you're uncrittable, and you've hit uncrushable so that additional block chance confers no benefit,
then dodge rating becomes stronger than defense rating.

20 defense rating = 1% pure avoidance
18.9 dodge rating = 1% pure avoidance

(The 18.9 is from WoWWiki; the 20 I can show the math for if you insist.)
Arcand

Postby John Ra » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:17 pm

A couple weeks ago I broke uncrushable, and as I'm starting to receive socket-able epics, I need to start figuring out what gems to use to replace my current gear with that which is of equal avoidance yet offers more stamina. These responses will be helpful tonight, as I look around for gems and enchants to use.

Thanks.
John Ra

Postby QuantumDelta » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:48 pm

Use TankPoints, for the love of the Light.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby Serrot » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:02 am

Arcand wrote:What we're picking about ... is the distinction between mitigation and avoidance - terms which even tanks interchange sloppily.

Guilty as charged.
Serrot

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations