Remove Advertisements

Karazhan: Solo tankable?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Karazhan: Solo tankable?

Postby Aina » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:07 am

Hey everyone.

Tonight (and maybe coming raids) my reading team is going to be 1 tank short of creating two Karazhan raids. So, I'm considering the posibility of me solo-tanking one of the two groups. I'd like to hear your opinions, maybe someone has already done this before me. Would love to hear :)

Normally, I always go with a feral druid as off-tank, and most of the time I can let him DPS on trash, though usually don't because he wants to feel usefull as a tank too :)

The following mobs make me worry the most: 2x Arcane Golems (encountered twice), 2x Stunning mobs in Moroes' room (encountered twice), and to a lesser extend the wyrm+blob packs at the Curator (afraid of going oom and losing the big blob).

As for bosses, I plan to visit Moroes, Opera, Curator, Aran, Chess, Prince and then pick whatever we have time for.
Curator, Aran, Chess and Prince all don't need an OT.
For Moroes I was thinking of letting a rogue stay 2nd in threat, and keep Blessing of Sacrifice on him, possibly using Seal of Blood aswell.
Opera... just praying we don't get Romulo and Jullianne, others seem doable to me. Though I have heard of other Tankadins tanking RnJ at the same time, but I dunno if my and my healers' gear is good enough for that.

What are you guys thinking? Can I pull this off?

Armory:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... =Ainamegil
Aina

Re: Karazhan: Solo tankable?

Postby DeadMilliken » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:23 am

Aina wrote:Hey everyone.

Tonight (and maybe coming raids) my reading team is going to be 1 tank short of creating two Karazhan raids. So, I'm considering the posibility of me solo-tanking one of the two groups. I'd like to hear your opinions, maybe someone has already done this before me. Would love to hear :)

Normally, I always go with a feral druid as off-tank, and most of the time I can let him DPS on trash, though usually don't because he wants to feel usefull as a tank too :)

The following mobs make me worry the most: 2x Arcane Golems (encountered twice), 2x Stunning mobs in Moroes' room (encountered twice), and to a lesser extend the wyrm+blob packs at the Curator (afraid of going oom and losing the big blob).

As for bosses, I plan to visit Moroes, Opera, Curator, Aran, Chess, Prince and then pick whatever we have time for.
Curator, Aran, Chess and Prince all don't need an OT.
For Moroes I was thinking of letting a rogue stay 2nd in threat, and keep Blessing of Sacrifice on him, possibly using Seal of Blood aswell.
Opera... just praying we don't get Romulo and Jullianne, others seem doable to me. Though I have heard of other Tankadins tanking RnJ at the same time, but I dunno if my and my healers' gear is good enough for that.

What are you guys thinking? Can I pull this off?

Armory:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... =Ainamegil

You are worring about the wrong trash.
Almost all of what you mentioned isn't going to be what wipes you unless your healers are slacking.

What's gonna wipe you if you aren't prepared are the skeletal ushers.
(remember good ole IceTomb? heavy threat reduction even if you resist or bypass or DS out of the Ice.)
DeadMilliken

Postby Vanifae » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:26 am

Moroes could be okay, but if you get Blinded or Gouged, it could spell disaster, or stunned by one of the adds.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby DJSticky » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:26 am

You should be fine. The Arcane protectors only hit for about 3.5k so not to big of a deal there. The Head Crack guys in moroes's room are annoying but just have your raid blast the living fuck out of the first one to get them down asap. The Arcane Anomolies and Syphoners before curator are easy just FF the Big guy first so you have some mana to deal with the wyrms.

I'm not sure the point were I stopped shackeling stuff (besides iceblock agro drop guys) but I think only my rings and neck were upgrades from what you have.

Things to note.
On Moroes, get a rogue to click off salv and be 2nd on agro, BoSac him to get out of the gouges.

Any Opera will be easy just be sure you know when the mobs pop and be ready to pick them up.

The Iceblock Agro dump guys are going to kill people w/o an OT, end of story. Kill them as fast as possible. If you have a priest who is quick on his toes, shackle them when the iceblock you.

Curator, be sure people KNOW they are going to take bolts, be sure your healers know!

All in all if you do this instance anywere near the way I used to you'll hardly notice a difference with no OT. Even with one in the party he was usualy a feral or DPS spec so the only time he tanked was on Moroes, Ice Block guys, and Curator.
DJSticky

Re: Karazhan: Solo tankable?

Postby Watts » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:35 am

Aina wrote:The following mobs make me worry the most: 2x Arcane Golems (encountered twice), 2x Stunning mobs in Moroes' room (encountered twice), and to a lesser extend the wyrm+blob packs at the Curator (afraid of going oom and losing the big blob).

The arcane golems aren't bad to solo tank, healers just need to pick it up until one dies.. which doesn't take long at all.

The elemental/wyrm pulls in curator's room aren't bad either. With only a single tank and no other taunts, I would recommend AOEing the wyrms down first. That should allow you to have mana for taunting the big guy after each blink.

The stunning mobs in Moroes' room can be rough. Again, healers need to be on the ball when the first target gets around 50% health and does his emote. It's completely in their hands, not much you can do.

Another difficult pull with only 1 tank is the skeletal ushers. Hopefully you'll have at least 1 shackle and you get lucky with the ice tombs. Generally you won't wipe on them, but several squishies might get one-shotted.

You're fortunate in that you have a pocket watch. That should make it much easier to survive any pull where you'd normally use 2 tanks. Just pop it early and tell your DPS to destroy the first target as fast as possible. Moroes is the only thing I haven't solo tanked in Kara. We've always had either a feral druid or DPS warrior in the group who helps OT for the gouges. I know it can be done.. just saying I haven't.
Man is the animal.
Watts

Postby Aina » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:50 am

Good thing I posted, because I forgot about the Ushers :) Those will indeed cause some deaths. Come to think of it though, my off-tank usually has a hard time staying second in threat there, so it won't be much different.

As long as we don't wipe it's okay basicly. Does anyone know if the PvP trinket works vs. the Ice Tomb? That would give me a bubble and trinket to break out of it. Not sure if it would let me retake aggro before someone dies though.

I hardly use CC in Karazhan really, and I won't have trouble taking extra CC along if needed. It's just the non-CCable mobs that worry me.
Ofcourse though, having another phat DPSer along does have it's benefits :)

I think I'll give it a go tonight, see how it goes. Thanks for the replies everyone, and feel free to keep more coming~!
Aina

Postby Aina » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:57 am

Vanifae wrote:Moroes could be okay, but if you get Blinded or Gouged, it could spell disaster, or stunned by one of the adds.

Blind and Gouge should be covered by using BoSacrifice on a rogue "off-tank". What stuns do the adds use? HoJ and Concussion Blow? These two make Moroes and the add turn away from me, right?
I suppose both could be dealt with. Anything else to remember?
Aina

Postby DJSticky » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:57 am

Aina wrote:As long as we don't wipe it's okay basicly. Does anyone know if the PvP trinket works vs. the Ice Tomb? That would give me a bubble and trinket to break out of it. Not sure if it would let me retake aggro before someone dies though.

Just reshackle untill you get out of the icetomb, still not a sure thing that you'll get agro back but atleast it gives you time to set up and try.
DJSticky

Postby Worldie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:07 am

I've menaged to solotank everything except:
- Iceblock mobs before Opera: they drop aggro, its almost impossible to get it back even if they are ninjashackled.
- Arcane Elementals + Wryms before Curator: the elemental is almost impossible to tank as paladin, you generate almost no aggro on them.
- Wryms after Curator: immune to magic, gg.
- Netherspite

Yes i've solotanked Moroes+adds, i trinketed out the first Gouge, then used BoSa on the guy that took first Garrote. We didnt have the MS warrior to be honest, that one would really make it hard. But i anyway kinda outgear the istance.
Last edited by Worldie on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby adese » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:36 am

Aina wrote:As long as we don't wipe it's okay basicly. Does anyone know if the PvP trinket works vs. the Ice Tomb? That would give me a bubble and trinket to break out of it. Not sure if it would let me retake aggro before someone dies though.

I recall reading here a few days ago that the PvP trinket does get you out of it, however you still get the aggro reduction.
adese

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:56 am

Grounding Totem also prevents the Ice Tomb from the Ushers, but you get the aggro reduction no matter what, so it often doesn't make a difference unless you're way ahead of your group.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Derbish » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:57 am

The pvp trinket does work, and it is an aggro reduction, not a wipe. Have dps lay off a little longer then normal and, of course, open up with full threat. I think you can bubble out of it, too.
Derbish

Postby Aina » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:03 pm

Okay, so I just tanked it all alone.... and we rocked the place :)

We've only been killing Prince for maybe.. 3-4 weeks, and Nightbane for 2 weeks or so. Haven't set foot in 25 content yet.

Having one extra DPSer is really nice. I'd almost say it's actually better then having two tanks.
The Ushers were the most dangerous, but it really didn't matter much. Usually one person died per pull. Usher died shortly after Ice Tomb. No problemo really.

The one pull with the 3 Warlocks and imps on the way to Aran was kinda "pull and let god sort it out", but those mobs aren't really a threat. All the other trash was 100% under control.

Was happy to get the Big Bad Wolf for Opera btw ;)

Now I have to think about our second Kara raid next monday. Attumen, Maiden, Nightbane and Netherspite are still alive. I suppose those will be doable too.
-I've solo-tanked Attumen before, may have to use some extra shackle/trap on trash.
-Never tanked Maiden, I guess the only downside will be that DPS has to hold back a bit because my threat-rotation will get trouble from silence.
-Netherspite, I dunno... you don't have to be a tank to take the red beam, right? :)
-Nightbane, the "lol paladins can't tank this fight", is my lootbag :twisted: So no worries there.

Anything I should remember?

P.S. It's good to be a Tankadin...
Aina

Postby Tiandelin » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:27 pm

Good to hear that it's possible. At this point, almost all our tanks are sick of Kara and I'm the only one really still interested (need about four drops from it still, as luck would have it). I might give this a shot myself.

One thing:

Aina wrote:The one pull with the 3 Warlocks and imps on the way to Aran was kinda "pull and let god sort it out", but those mobs aren't really a threat. All the other trash was 100% under control.

Have the rest of the raid stand about halfway down the hall leading up to that room. Hit divine shield and run in. All the mobs in the room will pile onto you in melee range. Hit consecrate, click off your bubble, and call for aoe.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby spatulor » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Tiandelin wrote:Have the rest of the raid stand about halfway down the hall leading up to that room. Hit divine shield and run in. All the mobs in the room will pile onto you in melee range. Hit consecrate, click off your bubble, and call for aoe.

I'll be trying this later, it'll probably work better than my "race the warlocks into the room and cast holy wrath"
spatulor
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations